Novation Launchpad
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
ajdangles
Savage Mad Cunt
ajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond reputeajdangles has a reputation beyond repute
Hamilton
MC Status: 9110
Novation Launchpad

So I've recently come across a Novation Launchpad that I'm considering picking up for $120 from this guy who goes to my school. He's including a copy of abelton lite. However, I use fruity loops, and I've heard that this novation launchpad only works with abelton. Is there any way I can get it to work with FL?

Also, if anyone's had an experience with this piece of gear, is it worth it? Did you use it more for producing or live stuff or just screwing around?

Any thoughts would be appreciated, thanks.

Advertisements

ajdangles is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #2
scyn
scyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MCscyn is a savage MC
/\/\/\
MC Status: 389883256
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,084 Posts
Re: Novation Launchpad

Tbh I can't see much point in using it with FL. I mean - if you find yourself wanting a load of buttons that you can map in FL then yeah - it might be just what you're after. But part of what makes it cool is that in Ableton the device automatically sets itself up to control various aspects of the DAW, as well as controlling Session View's clips.

I do find myself using it more often whilst producing when I'm sketching out ideas, it's nice to toggle clips and and do other things without having to bother with the mouse, and obviously the lit buttons make the work-space look cool when the lights are down . I've also got a lot of stuff mapped to User 1 mode - like transport controls, markers and a few devices, which I usually set up as the track progresses.

But I'd say if you have no intention of doing live playing / jams / improvising and don't need so many buttons, don't bother with it. Especially in FL, as you're missing out on a lot of the stuff that using it with Ableton would offer you.
scyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
Emperor Bear
Radial Developer
Emperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the roughEmperor Bear is a jewel in the rough
Japan
MC Status: 310

It's one of the controllers I use. With Live it is great....not sure about other DAWs.

------------------
Emperor Bear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
exotek
Analog Lurker
exotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MCexotek is a savage MC
Toronto
MC Status: 2844726

You can use it in FL Studio. Once the performance mode is implemented in the upcoming FL Studio 11 you will be able to use Launchpad (and other similar controllers) same way that you can use it in Live. If you have a legit copy of FL Studio you can download the latest performance mode beta version.

------------------
"Its a good day.. any time you are having fun with music is a good day"

- Ronald Jenkees
exotek is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Dr Insano
Microknight
Dr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to allDr Insano is a name known to all
London
MC Status: 560

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajdangles View Post
So I've recently come across a Novation Launchpad that I'm considering picking up for $120 from this guy who goes to my school. He's including a copy of abelton lite. However, I use fruity loops, and I've heard that this novation launchpad only works with abelton.
Nope, I use it with Renoise sometimes. It's OPTIMISED for Ableton.

Quote:
Is there any way I can get it to work with FL?

Also, if anyone's had an experience with this piece of gear, is it worth it? Did you use it more for producing or live stuff or just screwing around?
It's great for live stuff, you can just have a drum break sliced up and slap it in every now and then. Mostly good for triggering things, not so good for specifics and parameters.

Advertisements

Dr Insano is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote