B-Flat Minor (Dark Ambient Theory) - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #41
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco
MC Status: 7460
Re: B-Flat Minor (Dark Ambient Theory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lug View Post
:'( would you provide the hugz?
Hugz but no tugz :badger:

Advertisements

PhantomSignal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:16 AM   #42
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996230
Thanked 4,120 Times in 2,674 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smile_Price View Post
I'm not saying one musical property is a bigger contributor to darkness than another.
alright then. The key the track is in isn't enough to set a dark mood. That's not the only thing you're gonna need.

ah fuck it you know what let's force some interest into that.
Why do you think Bb would be perceived darker? Physical factors like frequency ranges or learned cultural association?

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 12:43 AM   #43
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Well, minor almost always has a darker tone. Though since there's a relative major then it doesn't even matter. You could have a happy phrase then a sad phrase then a happy one then a sad one. It would sound weird. Perhaps the major and minor scales should be called the Manic Depressive scale.

------------------
Some IDM for the IDM forum

Me Soundclewd
Evoava is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 01:19 AM   #44
Lug
Soxdix
Lug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MCLug is a savage MC
MC Status: 80996230
Thanked 4,120 Times in 2,674 Posts

arrrr I don't know what to feel anymore

------------------
( o)<
|vv|
Lug is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 03:25 AM   #45
Son of Akira
IDMf Artist
Son of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MCSon of Akira is a savage MC
over yonder, behind them old railroad tracks
MC Status: 47684970

No thread about this topic is complete without this amazingly ridiculous list:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

from Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (1806)

C Major
Completely Pure. Its character is: innocence, simplicity, na�vety, children's talk.

C Minor
Declaration of love and at the same time the lament of unhappy love. All languishing, longing, sighing of the love-sick soul lies in this key.

Db Major
A leering key, degenerating into grief and rapture. It cannot laugh, but it can smile; it cannot howl, but it can at least grimace its crying.--Consequently only unusual characters and feelings can be brought out in this key.

C# Minor
Penitential lamentation, intimate conversation with God, the friend and help-meet of life; sighs of disappointed friendship and love lie in its radius.

D Major
The key of triumph, of Hallejuahs, of war-cries, of victory-rejoicing. Thus, the inviting symphonies, the marches, holiday songs and heaven-rejoicing choruses are set in this key.

D Minor
Melancholy womanliness, the spleen and humours brood.

Eb Major
The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God.

D# Minor
Feelings of the anxiety of the soul's deepest distress, of brooding despair, of blackest depresssion, of the most gloomy condition of the soul. Every fear, every hesitation of the shuddering heart, breathes out of horrible D# minor. If ghosts could speak, their speech would approximate this key.

E Major
Noisy shouts of joy, laughing pleasure and not yet complete, full delight lies in E Major.

E minor
Na�ve, womanly innocent declaration of love, lament without grumbling; sighs accompanied by few tears; this key speaks of the imminent hope of resolving in the pure happiness of C major.
F Major
Complaisance & Calm.

F Minor
Deep depression, funereal lament, groans of misery and longing for the grave.

F# Major
Triumph over difficulty, free sigh of relief utered when hurdles are surmounted; echo of a soul which has fiercely struggled and finally conquered lies in all uses of this key.

F# Minor
A gloomy key: it tugs at passion as a dog biting a dress. Resentment and discontent are its language.

G Major
Everything rustic, idyllic and lyrical, every calm and satisfied passion, every tender gratitude for true friendship and faithful love,--in a word every gentle and peaceful emotion of the heart is correctly expressed by this key.

G Minor
Discontent, uneasiness, worry about a failed scheme; bad-tempered gnashing of teeth; in a word: resentment and dislike.

Ab Major
Key of the grave. Death, grave, putrefaction, judgment, eternity lie in its radius.

Ab Minor
Grumbler, heart squeezed until it suffocates; wailing lament, difficult struggle; in a word, the color of this key is everything struggling with difficulty.

A Major
This key includes declarations of innocent love, satisfaction with one's state of affairs; hope of seeing one's beloved again when parting; youthful cheerfulness and trust in God.
A minor
Pious womanliness and tenderness of character.

Bb Major
Cheerful love, clear conscience, hope aspiration for a better world.

Bb minor
A quaint creature, often dressed in the garment of night. It is somewhat surly and very seldom takes on a pleasant countenance. Mocking God and the world; discontented with itself and with everything; preparation for suicide sounds in this key.

B Major
Strongly coloured, announcing wild passions, composed from the most glaring coulors. Anger, rage, jealousy, fury, despair and every burden of the heart lies in its sphere.

B Minor
This is as it were the key of patience, of calm awaiting ones's fate and of submission to divine dispensation.

------------------
Son of Akira is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #46
Alert
Soundscaper
Alert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond reputeAlert has a reputation beyond repute
Oblivion Fringe
MC Status: 4271

How can a black hole emit a sonic frequency if nothing escapes from it?

or

Is the frequency actually the sound of the black hole's devouring of everything, which is happening from enough of a distance outside the event horizon to detect/hear?

------------------
Alert is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 08:24 PM   #47
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
PhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond reputePhantomSignal has a reputation beyond repute
Sonoma /San Francisco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alert View Post
How can a black hole emit a sonic frequency if nothing escapes from it?

or

Is the frequency actually the sound of the black hole's devouring of everything, which is happening from enough of a distance outside the event horizon to detect/hear?
LOL, good question, I mean, if it sucks in light, it's sucking in anything that's remotely going to vibrate in deep space I would assume. I would guess the "Frequency" probably refers to some other measurable frequency equatable to Bd

Let me google this for everyone...LOL

"In musical terms, the pitch of the sound generated by the black hole translates into the note of B flat. But, a human would have no chance of hearing this cosmic performance because the note is 57 octaves lower than middle-C. For comparison, a typical piano contains only about seven octaves. At a frequency over a million billion times deeper than the limits of human hearing, this is the deepest note ever detected from an object in the Universe."

Hmmm, interesting....apparently it is Bd but, with a super heated gas subwoofer...
Old 26-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #48
Evoava
Sample Destroyer
Evoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond reputeEvoava has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Akira View Post
No thread about this topic is complete without this amazingly ridiculous list:

from Christian Schubart's Ideen zu einer Aesthetik der Tonkunst (1806)

C Major
Completely Pure. Its character is: innocence, simplicity, na�vety, children's talk.

C Minor
Declaration of love and at the same time the lament of unhappy love. All languishing, longing, sighing of the love-sick soul lies in this key.

Db Major
A leering key, degenerating into grief and rapture. It cannot laugh, but it can smile; it cannot howl, but it can at least grimace its crying.--Consequently only unusual characters and feelings can be brought out in this key.

C# Minor
Penitential lamentation, intimate conversation with God, the friend and help-meet of life; sighs of disappointed friendship and love lie in its radius.

D Major
The key of triumph, of Hallejuahs, of war-cries, of victory-rejoicing. Thus, the inviting symphonies, the marches, holiday songs and heaven-rejoicing choruses are set in this key.

D Minor
Melancholy womanliness, the spleen and humours brood.

Eb Major
The key of love, of devotion, of intimate conversation with God.

D# Minor
Feelings of the anxiety of the soul's deepest distress, of brooding despair, of blackest depresssion, of the most gloomy condition of the soul. Every fear, every hesitation of the shuddering heart, breathes out of horrible D# minor. If ghosts could speak, their speech would approximate this key.

E Major
Noisy shouts of joy, laughing pleasure and not yet complete, full delight lies in E Major.

E minor
Na�ve, womanly innocent declaration of love, lament without grumbling; sighs accompanied by few tears; this key speaks of the imminent hope of resolving in the pure happiness of C major.
F Major
Complaisance & Calm.

F Minor
Deep depression, funereal lament, groans of misery and longing for the grave.

F# Major
Triumph over difficulty, free sigh of relief utered when hurdles are surmounted; echo of a soul which has fiercely struggled and finally conquered lies in all uses of this key.

F# Minor
A gloomy key: it tugs at passion as a dog biting a dress. Resentment and discontent are its language.

G Major
Everything rustic, idyllic and lyrical, every calm and satisfied passion, every tender gratitude for true friendship and faithful love,--in a word every gentle and peaceful emotion of the heart is correctly expressed by this key.

G Minor
Discontent, uneasiness, worry about a failed scheme; bad-tempered gnashing of teeth; in a word: resentment and dislike.

Ab Major
Key of the grave. Death, grave, putrefaction, judgment, eternity lie in its radius.

Ab Minor
Grumbler, heart squeezed until it suffocates; wailing lament, difficult struggle; in a word, the color of this key is everything struggling with difficulty.

A Major
This key includes declarations of innocent love, satisfaction with one's state of affairs; hope of seeing one's beloved again when parting; youthful cheerfulness and trust in God.
A minor
Pious womanliness and tenderness of character.

Bb Major
Cheerful love, clear conscience, hope aspiration for a better world.

Bb minor
A quaint creature, often dressed in the garment of night. It is somewhat surly and very seldom takes on a pleasant countenance. Mocking God and the world; discontented with itself and with everything; preparation for suicide sounds in this key.

B Major
Strongly coloured, announcing wild passions, composed from the most glaring coulors. Anger, rage, jealousy, fury, despair and every burden of the heart lies in its sphere.

B Minor
This is as it were the key of patience, of calm awaiting ones's fate and of submission to divine dispensation.

To be fair, when I go and listen to music in certain keys, I generally get a sense of what is meant. These descriptions are in the end only a reflection of what we've been hearing and in what context since we were kids.

However then I'll look up another song and not get what is meant

Is this the key of the grave?: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

But to me this is definitely mocking god and the world, if I felt like applying tangible feelings to a piece: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I was really lazy the other day, but I went and found an example of what I meant when I said that F# minor was another dark key: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
These kinds of lead-ons can be very leading. You know? Of course it could also just be the key of the grave, or something. To be honest, the music is much more dramatic than this poor woman laying under her blanket BROODING.

Last edited by Evoava; 26-02-2015 at 08:38 PM..

------------------
Some IDM for the IDM forum

Me Soundclewd
Evoava is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 05:20 PM   #49
gecKohead
Minor Glitch
gecKohead has a spectacular aura aboutgecKohead has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I'd like to draw your collective attention to the 'Music of the Spheres' concept. Lots and lots and lots written on this. And also more recently (than 3000 years ago, at least) the idea of the various frequencies produced by planetary orbits, or indeed translating the relationships between orbital patterns (orbital resonance) into corresponding audio frequencies. I admit I haven't looked into this particularly (though the music of the spheres thing had a lot of influence on early music - as in western pre/renaissance music, at least) so feel free to fact check the fuck out of any of that, or indeed, find any evidence whatsoever for anything I just said. Some dude told me over a reefer or 5 some time, yo. And thus I do likewise, though sadly minus the reefer.

On the black hole subject, I've been led to believe by pop astronomy that the centre of a black hole can be defined as a 'singularity', that is, where mathematics, light, universal laws including time, gravity etc. break down completely. There is a certain bent of mind that if you subscribe to the 'multiverse' theory that matter, time etc. having passed through the black hole can be spewed out the other side with properties and rules we can't possibly predict (and are therefore totally irrelevant to our consideration of our own universe). But since this simply is a Keanu-like 'woah!' thread, thought it might be worth mentioning, if only to see everyone clawing each other's eyes out over the inaccuracies, starting with mine. So I'd be hearing the rest of you, really.

*On the subject of cultural association of mood/key etc. I'm a sucker for anthropological interest programs, one particularly brilliant one shown here in the UK a few years ago was called Tribe. In the second series, the intrepid Bruce Parry spent an episode each with three of the major tribes in the Omo valley (birthplace of homo sapiens/humanity) who suffered particularly badly in terms of being enslaved and transported to the US and Caribbean. What was really interesting was that each tribe, in their various cultural rituals had some form of sung music and for each tribe the scales they were using corresponded very closely with a different 'genre' of what has been termed 'black' music - for example, the king of one tribe addressed his people only in song, the cadences of which were distinctly blues-y (presumably pentatonic). One of the others sang together in a community gathering and the harmonies were distinctly gospel sounding, and the third tribe's music had strong characteristics of jazz/scat. It was, to be honest, really quite haunting to hear such familiar melodies, progressions and harmonies from a culture essentially unchanged since forever, with no outside influences.

Last edited by gecKohead; 27-02-2015 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: remembered original reason for posting...
gecKohead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 08:02 PM   #50
PhantomSignal
Soundscaper
Sonoma /San Francisco

I did a lot of research into sound and frequencies of various things some years back and came across the music of the spheres a lot. There are many different sort of patterns or commonalities that one can grab onto frequency wise: Color, density of atomic elements, planetary bodies, distances between the pyramids, LOL... I always chalk it up to interesting but, I am not sure how much weight I put into any of it beyond coincidence or projection.

But, I do find the idea of tone as rhythm and harmony equating to the rhythm of tones syncing up rhythmically. For example, octaves, where C0 is roughly 16Hz, C1 is roughly 32Hz, C2 is 64HZ and so on (depending on which tuning system you look at...so these are approximates). So, correspondingly a C0 is like a whole note, C1 is a half note, C2 is a quarter note, etc. Then harmonies being like poly-rhythms where most of the frequency beats across the spectrum line up rhythmically. Dissonance being the opposite, where few frequency beats line up.

It's fun to talk to kids about that (how sound works) by showing them a staccato sample like a snare, just looping...then speeding up the loop until it no longer sounds like a single hit, but a tone. It really drives the fact that all music is really rhythm at the core.

See also, timbre in the form of dissonant harmonics in higher and lower registers than the primary frequency. The chaos fractal effect of "tonal quality".

</Keanu>

RE Cultural association/mood and the pentatonic scale. I find it really interesting that simultaneously the far East was using the same note relationships as their African counterparts but Major pentatonic versus the predominantly Minor pentatonic that later translated into blues.

PS, are we just geek masturbating in here? LOL

Last edited by PhantomSignal; 27-02-2015 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: dork dork dork
Old 27-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #51
gecKohead
Minor Glitch
gecKohead has a spectacular aura aboutgecKohead has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomSignal View Post
PS, are we just geek masturbating in here? LOL