composing procedure question - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 16-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #21
MapOfYourHead
Granular Poster
MapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud ofMapOfYourHead has much to be proud of
Belfast
MC Status: 1440
Re: composing procedure question

I'll prelude by saying nothing beats years of experience. When I first started out writing music, yeah there was some golden nuggets but the vast majority was absolute shit tbh. 6+ years down the line I'm a lot more comfortable just banging out a tune on the spot that'll could pass for something decent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 046oh View Post
how do you start making your own music?

Just write music. Copy other peoples styles. Steal chord progressions. Use the same sound-ideas as your favourite artist. Copy song structures. The point is to get comfortable writing. While you're doing this, you'll also start to find your on voice and seperate yourself for the sound of others.

Learning an instrument will make things a lot more intuitive. Learning music theory, although not absolutely essential, will help open many doors.

most tutorials start to tell you to start with the beats, then bass line, and then the melody.
but i'm a melody-oriented person, and melodies come more naturally to me than bass lines.
is this method problematic?

Whatever floats your boat. Some of the greatest composers who ever lived started with the melody and worked backwards to develop the harmony.

also i have the problem of structuring long songs.

You have to find your feet first. Get some experience. As I said before, try and write a song with the same song structure as another one. Do it again and again until one day, you just get it

do you think of structure first, then compose each section?
or do you develop on the fly?

Nowadays I just use my ears and go whereever my head want to go

thanks

Advertisements

MapOfYourHead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 AM   #22
SquareTheCircle
Microknight
SquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of lightSquareTheCircle is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 460
Re: composing procedure question

a lot of valid stuff in this thread.

Quote:
how do you start making your own music?
most tutorials start to tell you to start with the beats, then bass line, and then the melody.
Valid. We call this bottom up. I would mix my track down in this structure for sure.

Quote:
but i'm a melody-oriented person, and melodies come more naturally to me than bass lines.
Also very valid. When you think about it. Laying down a 4 x 4 beat is technically a melody. Dropping a bottom C drone is one note of a melody. So we all do this.

Quote:
is this method problematic?
No. The question is: Do you compose melody first or chords first? Both valid and have their own pros and cons.

Quote:
also i have the problem of structuring long songs.
do you think of structure first, then compose each section?
or do you develop on the fly?
So again we are back to the question of 'bottom up' or 'end to end' composition . I cant really do end to end. I would find that after 16 bars I am all buttons down. So I tend to take a more holistic approach. For me this involves some planning. I might create a diagram to imply direction and shape of the piece.

I agree with everyone. Any combination of the above is acceptable. Sometimes you just be messing around and you get something. You then build the track around that bit of gold.

Advertisements

SquareTheCircle is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote