Strategy for composition - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #61
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357173
Re: Strategy for composition

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Advertisements

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to hellscion
Lug (04-01-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #62
hotwatermusic
Master of the LFO
hotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond reputehotwatermusic has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2460

That's part of most people's composition process
They surely ripped off the main motive but ended with something 1000x better and overall different.
hotwatermusic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:04 PM   #63
beattobe
Regular Freak
beattobe will become famous soon enoughbeattobe will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwatermusic View Post
I don't use this approach 'cause i'm too self critical, but actually i believe that's what works best. All classic bands like Led Zeppelin or whatever, you name it, worked this way. They would just write a lot of songs quickly not minding much about it, then Stairway to Heaven or something else comes out of the bunch.

Those bands had to to do it anyway, they had contracts to release a full album every year. It was composition, recording, touring, rest and repeat. Very little time to write music. If they needed 8 tracks for an album they would write 20 or so in a short time, select the best 8 and if it is good it is, if it is not good they get the bad reviews and that's alright. Ready for the next session.
I have been using this approach for over a year now.
I think that the more self critical you are about your own music the better the result would be using this technique or at least thats what i have experienced so far.
One set back i have encounter about this is that you tend to become too over critical about you music, sometimes disregarding good ideas you already had or overthinking too much.
If you happened to find a balance, i think this technique would get the best of you as a producer and you would remain with very good songs.
beattobe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:11 PM   #64
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky
MC Status: 14960

@[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
I think everyone's going to just have to crank out tunes and see what works best; everything you write won't be the next "thing." Actually just about every track you think is going to change the world people won't really give a shit.

So in general I was flowing with tunes on pretty much the same, simple samples as my only writing material. Well the holidays happened, I started recording these different tunes and now I'm somewhere else. I feel like the only way I'm going to get a cohesive LP is to start with a bunch of samples already sampled and assigned to programs so when I sit down to start writing most of my sounds are already in order.

So I got to start cranking out more samples. Going to start with sampling every sound in my R8M.....

------------------
JMagee is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 06:37 PM   #65
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post
I think everyone's going to just have to crank out tunes and see what works best; everything you write won't be the next "thing." Actually just about every track you think is going to change the world people won't really give a shit.

So in general I was flowing with tunes on pretty much the same, simple samples as my only writing material. Well the holidays happened, I started recording these different tunes and now I'm somewhere else. I feel like the only way I'm going to get a cohesive LP is to start with a bunch of samples already sampled and assigned to programs so when I sit down to start writing most of my sounds are already in order.

So I got to start cranking out more samples. Going to start with sampling every sound in my R8M.....
To speak to this method of collecting all your samples up front. I can't tell you how many dance music artists I respect, DnB artists especially, talk about how whatever day of the week is their "sampling day" ...they basically take a stack of records, their laptop and a spliff into a room that isn't their studio and record stuff and chop samples.

I haven't done this enough and I've got a couple crates that need sampled...

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:46 PM   #66
beattobe
Regular Freak

Dear jmagee, I have been thinking a lot about your post. Specially the first part and it’s very interesting for me because the more i read it, the more i realise we are worlds apart as far as perceiving the overall process of composition is concerned, not production, let me clarify. This doesn’t mean to me that yours is better and mine is worse or viceversa, it’s just different and hopefully it is working for you.
I also think (and please let me delve a bit in what i have been posting so far) that regardless of the methodology you use to create music, for me, it is imperative to make the best posible job you are capable of. What’s the point of someone’s music if he is creating something just for the sake of creating, of selling, of being famous. not for the sake of wanting to communicate something, of giving his own point of view about music, love, the world, etc. of giving his soul to his creation.
The world is full with the first kinds of “artist” and no, i don’t compose music so people would think it is the next “thing” or to change the world, you are right about that. But i do try my best to compose the best i can. To be true to myself, to try to communicate something so when i listen to myself i could think that what i’m listening is the next thing.
Old 12-01-2015, 06:49 PM   #67
beattobe
Regular Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMagee View Post

Dear jmagee, I have been thinking a lot about your post. Specially the first part and itís very interesting for me because the more i read it, the more i realise we are worlds apart as far as perceiving the overall process of composition is concerned, not production, let me clarify. This doesnít mean to me that yours is better and mine is worse or viceversa, itís just different and hopefully it is working for you.
I also think (and please let me delve a bit in what i have been posting so far) that regardless of the methodology you use to create music, for me, it is imperative to make the best posible job you are capable of. Whatís the point of someoneís music if he is creating something just for the sake of creating, of selling, of being famous. not for the sake of wanting to communicate something, of giving his own point of view about music, love, the world, etc. of giving his soul to his creation.
The world is full with the first kinds of ďartistĒ and no, i donít compose music so people would think it is the next ďthingĒ or to change the world, you are right about that. But i do try my best to compose the best i can. To be true to myself, to try to communicate something so when i listen to myself i could think that what iím listening is the next thing.
Old 23-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #68
ROBO ROBO
Regular Freak
ROBO ROBO is a jewel in the roughROBO ROBO is a jewel in the roughROBO ROBO is a jewel in the roughROBO ROBO is a jewel in the rough
U.S.A.
MC Status: 310

Here is a little sidenote relating to this conversation.

I studied as a composition major in school and there was one idea that my professor constantly pounded into my head aside from counterpoint, correct chord progression, voicing, etc. Think a little abstract with me for a second but I promise this helps.

Take your different voices (characters) in your track. Your melody, bass line, harmonies, drum parts on and on. Think of them each as a character in a play, personify them. From the time they are introduced on stage to the time the play resolves and ends they are developing dynamically. They go through experiences, learn how to interact with other characters, they become a new person from beginning to end. This is how I think of my material. It begins as one thing, and by the end of the track it is a different thing in many aspect. It may become more complex or join in with aspects of another voice. A bass line may pick up themes from a melody line, or the rhythmic aspect of the harmony parts may grow to math those of the drum parts. Regardless, by the end of the song the material should experience a transformation and not stay totally stagnant. That way the listener remains engaged and is interested in what will happen to our characters next, just as we may be on the edge of our seats whatching a good movie.

I know this may sound silly but it has worked for me since composition school when I get stuck trying to grow or develop a part and improves the general cohesion of the track. Hope this helps!:mayonesa:
ROBO ROBO is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Living in a Doorway
Old 29-01-2015, 08:56 AM   #69
pravda23
Minor Glitch
pravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura about
Cape Town
MC Status: 210

i've always written (almost exclusively) lyric-free music because it seems like cutting out the middleman. the limitations of the range of timbres the human voice can produce, the additional time consuming layer of considering lyrics and prosody all just started getting in the way. vocal samples make an interesting exception to this though, if you consider them just another electronic texture or rhythmic addition
pravda23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 07:36 PM   #70
JMagee
Ghostly
JMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MCJMagee is a savage MC
Kentucky

thanks man, that's great. It's the sort of thinking I was hoping for when I started this post. I've gotten towards something like that, personifying my voices, but not nearly as deep. Just the timbre of the sound is thought of as a character but I should get a little deeper with all of that - more than just timbre of the sound playing into all of this. Great idea man, love it.
I'm in the same trap. Lyrics, voices....it's just too much. But I've been wanting to get vocals in my music and when I sample/chop there's like 20% that what I chose is really going to work the way I had intended. I need to work with some lyrics, just write something I can live with and have a friend come over, sing it, and see what happens with those chops. Most vocalists give you the crazy look when you're like, "just get down with do's and oooh's." They have that give me something tangible look on their face.
Not trying to smash you or anything but I will try and make you think differently about your approach or want to try something completely different; consider it positive antagonizing. I get having your thing and know what works well but I just want to help free your mind and your ass will follow, you feel? But please, keep making tracks however you see fit - whatever makes you happy. I just feel like everyone needs a little love push out of their comfort zone.

------------------
Old 30-01-2015, 08:02 PM   #71
relic
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8564580
Thanked 7,473 Times in 5,277 Posts

really like those ideas : )

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:56 AM   #72
pravda23
Minor Glitch
pravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura about
Cape Town
MC Status: 210

perhaps consider putting an ad in your local classified to find amateur (or pro) foreign language singers - seems to be a happy medium. you get the voice but treat it as an instrument purely. also introduces some new sounds into your musical lexicon.
pravda23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: ludovico einaudi
Thanks to pravda23
JMagee (24-06-2015)
Old 20-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #73
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6660

Time to revive a zombie thread for a second. I think this book is probably relevant to the discussion:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

It technically deals with Ableton, but the preview I looked at (link on the page linked to) is really quite DAW neutral, and has some good ideas.

Cheers!
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 05:10 AM   #74
Stonelands
Granular Poster
Stonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really niceStonelands is just really nice
MC Status: 410

Sometimes I kind of think about thoughts or feelings I've been having about the world lately and then try and channel that into a composition.
Stonelands is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #75
JMagee
Ghostly
Kentucky

Damn, @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
that's a damn good idea. Amateurs are better because if the come to my spot for 3 hours, sing some stuff, they'll be happy with $40/50 which is something that I can afford. Don't get me started on the AFM rates that my friends work at and expect (as well as deserve!) because I can't afford it.
in the US we're going crazy over the flying of the Confederate Battle Flag over state buildings (again). It's kind of a shit show but it would something to write a song about. Unfortunately it would probably be a country song.

Which here's some bullshit composition thing I can bitch about right quick. I live in a rather "country" area (or at least everyone around me is pretty much in a rural area) and am only 2 hours away from Nashville. So here's the question I've been asked several times after remixing this or that "Can you blend some bluegrass/country sounds with electronic ones?" I have failed at this always. I can't even hear wear to start with the sampling of sounds and making some patches. Maybe there's some disconnect because I play bass in country groups already? Aesthetic disillusionment? Either way, always a fail.

------------------
Old 26-06-2015, 03:01 PM   #76
ILikeHorses
Granular Poster
ILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to beholdILikeHorses is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 810

idk if i have any exact strategy. i start by melodies most of the time, because i'll get the feeling of it and go with that. i used to hate making melodic stuff, but now i love it. using pianos/strings to start building the song too, idk why but i feel like every chord sounds better with those instruments. I play drums since 11, i kinda hate to program drums, is somewhat lifeless, so i try to groove them as much as i can. but sometimes i just stick with the robotic feel of it, depends on the song.

After the rhythm and some chords are done is where my problem starts, i can go very easily with 1 minute or 2 minutes of a track, but then i feel "tired" of it and feel like i can do a better one in the next try. is kinda loosing faith in the composition. i always left ideas unfinished, some sound good and i don't know where to go with it. but when i want to force myself to finish it, i start creating lots of counter melodies and stuff that sound "different" but still feel like is the same track. like lots of versions for the intro, bridge, chorus etc. then i try merging them together and see what can go well and what can't. at this point i already had some ideas to finish it.

Advertisements

ILikeHorses is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote