beginning piano with jazz
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 PM   #1
IbnTulaar
Learning The Ropes
IbnTulaar will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
beginning piano with jazz

So i´m producing electronic music with synths and therefore have to now how to use a keyboard. Learning to play guitar introduced me to the world of creating music.
Now i want to learn how to use the keyboard as an actual instrument; not just to improve my producing skills but also because playing piano really appeals to me. Especially jazz piano.
I´m a beginner when it comes to technical playing but got a little bit of jazz music theory knowledge through the guitar. I also think i´m quick at learning new instruments.
Now i´m imagining i could get a jazz piano book and start improving my play technical as well as theory wise.

Is it sensible to start with jazz without much musical and technical sense for the piano?
If not, how long would it take to learn the basic ´normal´ piano?
Again, i haven´t got any idea how to approach this (thats why i´m asking you all), so any advice or shared experience would be appreciated.

Now it´s up to you to smash my illusions.

Advertisements

IbnTulaar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 08:58 PM   #2
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426
Re: beginning piano with jazz

What does "beginning with jazz" actually entail? You mean like learning how to build a iim7b5 chord without knowing how to build a major triad to begin with? How is that even possible?
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 09:35 PM   #3
IbnTulaar
Learning The Ropes
IbnTulaar will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

well maybe i wasn´t really clear about what i actually wanted.
let me try again. the situation is the following:
i know enough of theory to for example build iim7b5 and i know how to build triads.
Im an beginner considering technical play, and i heard jazz is somewhat challenging.
I also want to get into improvisation.

now, would it be sensible to learn to play the piano and to get a feel for the instrument by playing jazz?
Is ´jazz for beginners´ for non piano players even a thing?

a big problem probably is that i don´t really know how the piano ´works´ (and thats also why i want to get this sense for the new instrument)
I could imagine that these questions dont really make sense for someone whose first instrument was the piano, but i really feel the guitar another way than the bass and im pretty sure the piano is something else again.
IbnTulaar is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #4
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426

Yeah, same answer. Replace "build" with "play".

Piano is a lot less logical than guitar and you have to learn the fingerings for each key and mode one by one, by rote. Skipping steps isn't really practical I'm afraid.

Advertisements

lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote