So I suck at making dance music - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 01-02-2015, 10:37 AM   #41
pravda23
Minor Glitch
pravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura aboutpravda23 has a spectacular aura about
Cape Town
MC Status: 210
Re: So I suck at making dance music

in a similar place. when i started making electronic music 10 years ago, it was liberating to not have to rely on other musicians. the old adage: DJs are frustrated musos. a few years back after seeing The Bays live, i realized wanted to find a balance between the premeditated and the spontaneous: live music over mainly beats and FX, with the ability to improvise at points.

now we're a four-piece 'DJ band' (guitar, clarinet, trumpet, double bass) getting some traction. i would also say i suck at making smoking hot dance music, but along the way i've lost the ambition to do. so look at what you can do. use your skills as a musician first, and supplement them with the albeit limited ability to create dance music. the synthesis will be attractive to those looking for something fresh. watch a live concert called "CARAVAN PALACE IM Karlstor Bahnhof Heidelberg" for inspiration. good luck!

Advertisements

pravda23 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to pravda23
badmotor (01-02-2015)
Old 04-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #42
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

If you don't like your dance music, then don't make dance music! Don't narrow yourself when you're creating, just make whatever feels good and in the end come up with a label for it. Hell, you don't even have to label it then.

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 10:06 PM   #43
suspension
Microknight
suspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond reputesuspension has a reputation beyond repute
NYC
MC Status: 2110

Yeah, I've come to terms with the fact that dance music is not what I make. Whenever I try, I stop myself no matter how far it comes along. I don't like the "dance" stuff I make. Too bad

What I really hate is the notion that something has to be "dancey" to like.. be appealing. Fuck that

Advertisements

------------------
suspension is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote