Straying away from 4/4 - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Theory & Composition Questions & comments about composition, arrangement, and music theory. Music rules and how to follow or break them.

Old 26-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #41
Kvlt O)))
Is a retard
Kvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MCKvlt O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 153560
Thanked 3,071 Times in 2,153 Posts
Re: Straying away from 4/4

I almost didn't reply to this because it looks identical to that other 4/4 thread that was weirdly not about time signatures at all.

Drumming or using some kind of percussive instrument helps a lot, IMO (if you don't have one at all, a table will work). Drum along to 4/4's, 7/4's 3/4's and 5/8's to get a feel for where you would naturally place your kicks and snares, or where you'd creatively like to start placing them before you even open your DAW. Find the hidden polyrhythms within standard 4/4 tracks, even. Once you wrap your brain around it, it'll make the actual programming a piece of chocolate cake.

Advertisements

Kvlt O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #42
alphx
Knob Twiddler
alphx is a name known to allalphx is a name known to allalphx is a name known to allalphx is a name known to allalphx is a name known to allalphx is a name known to all
toronto
MC Status: 560
Re: Straying away from 4/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) View Post
I almost didn't reply to this because it looks identical to that other 4/4 thread that was weirdly not about time signatures at all.

Drumming or using some kind of percussive instrument helps a lot, IMO (if you don't have one at all, a table will work). Drum along to 4/4's, 7/4's 3/4's and 5/8's to get a feel for where you would naturally place your kicks and snares, or where you'd creatively like to start placing them before you even open your DAW. Find the hidden polyrhythms within standard 4/4 tracks, even. Once you wrap your brain around it, it'll make the actual programming a piece of chocolate cake.
That's the issue I'm having right now. Like in 7/8 time the only melody I can imagine is money. I think I need to listen to music on these odd time signatures to get more of a feel for creating these odd timed harmonies

Advertisements

------------------
MaKS
alphx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote