Getting Heard More
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
Elsid
Granular Poster
Elsid will become famous soon enoughElsid will become famous soon enough
London
MC Status: 110
Getting Heard More

I don't really know where to post this, but hopefully here is good.

I was wondering if we could get a thread going of people sharing ideas of how to get more people to hear their tracks.

Please tell us how you get your stuff heard, and I'd really appreciate some advice. I've just been posting my tracks in forums, asking for feedback, and about 3 people actually check the threads and then they die.

Something interesting that I suspect, is that since music is so abstract, a lot of people will have dramatically altered responses depending on how a track is presented to them. For example, if they are told "here is a sick track, check it out" they will be much more likely to enjoy the track than if they are told: "meh, heres a thing i've been working on, its probably not that great, but give it a listen". People are almost incapable of listening to music unbiasedly. Therefore its not just about getting people to listen, its about how you get people to listen. I think that one should big up ones tracks when presenting them to others.

Hopefully I've made a small amount of sense overall in this post!

Advertisements

Elsid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
unknown__artist
unknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MCunknown__artist is a savage MC
Hamburg
MC Status: 22144205
Re: Getting Heard More

"This is a sick track,duude" ==> Mute.

------------------
My Ep "I Am A Dead Man" is out on Xylem Records

Departure (Bonus Track) Video
Soundcloud: μ-metik
Facebook: μ-metik
Twitter:μ-metik
unknown__artist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:04 PM   #3
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155

I just want to point out though that I REALLY DO write the $ICK#$T TRACK$

Now that we cleared that up, your best bet is to just be patient. don't worry yourself with people listening to your tracks. In two years, you will hope that they didn't listen to any of those older tracks. You realistically only get one shot with a listener so you're better off saving it for a track you really are proud of.

Don't make the mistake I made. I'm pretty sure people still think I write EDM.

-_\\\

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #4
Owen De-Vice
Ghostly
Owen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MCOwen De-Vice is a savage MC
West Midlands
MC Status: 17132199

i read heard as head....

------------------
Owen De-Vice is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #5
tdotbear
Knob Twiddler
tdotbear has a spectacular aura abouttdotbear has a spectacular aura abouttdotbear has a spectacular aura about
Toronto, ON
MC Status: 210

You'd be surprised at how far you can get just by making really good/unique songs. When people hear those (and it doesn't take a lot of people) and it truly is awesome/unique they WILL share it with their friends, and your song will spread and be heard by quite a few.

------------------
TdotBEAR - Stellar (TdotBEAR Trap Mix)

http://soundcloud.com/tdotbear
tdotbear is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:46 AM   #6
DKHustlin
Learning The Ropes
DKHustlin is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i hold out hope that making a catchy song and having it go viral will be enough so keep making music and pray
DKHustlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:03 AM   #7
alteredtensions
alteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MCalteredtensions is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 156639

don't underestimate the power of tagging your track with appropriate genres, similar artists, etc...

anyone who searches for any of your tags can find you easier.

------------------
alteredtensions is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to alteredtensions
Divercity (08-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 03:57 AM   #8
MKoussa
-_\\\
MKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MCMKoussa is a savage MC
Kansas City
MC Status: 62780155

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredtensions View Post
don't underestimate the power of tagging your track with appropriate genres, similar artists, etc...

anyone who searches for any of your tags can find you easier.
^^ This

------------------
Out Now! Free Download

http://www.MKoussa.com/
MKoussa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #9
Syllix
Deep Underground
Syllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MCSyllix is a savage MC
MC Status: 1096947

alteredtentions makes a good point. But in marketing, you will often hear the key phrase "content is king." And it really is. If you make good shit - people will find you, people will share it, etc. But I think having a basic knowledge of marketing is very helpful. When you post a track, use proper tags, description, sincere, don't just put something like "Some new fuckin lame track I made... Listen or die"

I don't know, I don't make shit often enough, I don't market myself as much as I should (but really, I feel making decent music is more important, as music can always improve, and when I'm finally amazing at what I do, the marketing shit will be the icing on top...)

Bunch O' random thoughts, hope some helped

------------------
SyllixMusic.com
Find me on Facebook | SoundCloud | YouTube | Bandcamp
Latest video game remix: Phantasy Star Online!
Syllix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Syllix
Deep Dose (21-05-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 06:55 AM   #10
Jonah_Mann
Microknight
Jonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the roughJonah_Mann is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 310

Exactly, it's basically marketing. You've convinced me to research this properly.
Jonah_Mann is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #11
EatTheFood
EatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond reputeEatTheFood has a reputation beyond repute
is NOT full of rich people.
MC Status: 8160

------------------
EatTheFood is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #12
MeshNation
MeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MCMeshNation is a savage MC
Edinburgh
MC Status: 129798497

Like Altered Tensions said, good and appropriate tagging is very important, but keep them relevant and accurate; very little annoys me more on SoundCloud than when I search for a deep house track, play one that's tagged as deep house, and it's fidget or hard techno or something completely different.

Also, make sure that you are listening to and commenting on other people's tracks; give and you shall receive...

As for the marketing thing, yes it's important, and content should be king, but, far too often, it's not and very often the crap with the bigger marketing budget and most exposure wins out; look at VHS winning out over Betamax; or anything Simon Cowell's produced. And I've read too many marketing 'gurus' recently who just state common sense, or, my own favourite, someone who was looking at social media metrics and analysed a bimodal distribution using the mean average. Fail. So keep your wits about you when you're reading a lot of this stuff.

------------------
MeshNation is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
steeboo
IDMf Artist
steeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MCsteeboo is a savage MC
montfoort
MC Status: 75628239

I would say, the effort you put in other people is often returned. Comment on tracks, the listening booth, help people out on forums, maybe even send your tracks to blogs/radio stations, that sort of stuff.

------------------
steeboo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #14
Xlorite
Minor Glitch
Xlorite will become famous soon enoughXlorite will become famous soon enough
Newcastle

yes, i also think that good marketing is the key but we all can use simple method: try to be everywhere. in radio shows, podcasts, websites with free digital downloads, blogs, social networks. there are millions of artists out there these days and it's hard to distinguish yourself... but best music promotes itself without much effort. i don't think that commenting other artists tracks is a good method to be heard... it's just exchanging opinions, and a lot of people don't care about what they are writing. i don't think that you can get real and genuine listeners that way

Last edited by Xlorite; 08-05-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Xlorite is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM   #15
Elsid
Granular Poster
London

Interesting stuff here. I agree that it basically is marketing. But naming what it is doesn't help me do it, I need more marketing techniques!

But helpful to know that people are generally against the: 'listen to my track, its sick' method. Though I do think in some situations it still applies: I suppose audience is a big consideration. (The word marketing is coming back into my head now).

The listening to peoples tracks and commenting is quite a good idea, but I also agree with Xlorite: it can be really awful. There is nothing I hate more than someone commenting on my track PURELY so that they can get a comment on their own track: its just plain selfish, dishonest and inconsiderate imo.

Something that people haven't mentioned is the fact that how you design your page or website probably has an effect. For example, if you have a really amateur set up, people will assume your tracks are the same and will be biased negatively towards them. But also, there are different types of good set ups. Like a really cool dark set up might make people expect something from your tracks that they don't give, and view them in a different way.

.. The more one looks into it the more complicated it seems to get.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:38 PM   #16
deejay chaotic
Regular Freak
deejay chaotic has a spectacular aura aboutdeejay chaotic has a spectacular aura aboutdeejay chaotic has a spectacular aura about
Long Island, NY
MC Status: 210

Getting your music on a popular blog will help. Obviously the music has to be good enough to get on the blog in the first place.

My band shot a video a few years back. A friend who's done videos for Kanye West, Common, Taking Back Sunday, hooked us up with a free video. It came sooo out dope, we thought it would go viral overnight...... WRONG!

After promoting it on social networking sites and to all our friends and fans, we plateau'd at about 2500 plays on Youtube. Then maybe a year later, out of the blue, it jumped up to about 10,000 plays in a day or two.

We found out that the video had been posted on a popular blog, and got 7500 hits because of that.
deejay chaotic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #17
Fission
Regular Freak
Fission will become famous soon enoughFission will become famous soon enough

If you wanna get heard(and you're convinced your music is good enough) you'll indeed need "marketing". Now one way of doing that is tagging your soundcloud tags properly of course and post it at forums and stuff, another, probably the most popular way now'days, is spamming YouTube about how sad you are and music is all you got but you can't afford advertising so "check out my channel and thumb me up", but really, the most efficient way of getting heard is releasing your tracks at labels. A decent label will have a website and youtube/facebook/soundcloud/twitter/beatport/whatever accounts with dozens/hundreds/thousands of followers/subscribers. They will do the marketing and mastering for you. They will also have a promo pool. So before the actual release certain DJs will receive the track to play at gigs/radio shows etc.

If you for some reason don't want to be signed to a label, or if they don't want you yet but you still think it's useful to get known, I can give you a tip I learned from Zedd. Make bootlegs of popular songs(of course, don't start totally raping classics or bootlegging stuff you hate) because people will look for those.
Fission is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
SMC
Minor Glitch
SMC is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 18

Good stuff in here! Thanks

------------------
SMC is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 06:44 PM   #19
Elsid
Granular Poster
London

Do people know if its cool to send tracks to record labels that you're displaying publicly in other places (ie. you're bootlegging your own tracks kinda thing)?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #20
Fission
Regular Freak
Fission will become famous soon enoughFission will become famous soon enough

What do you mean? If labels are okay with it if you send them tracks that are already on for example youtube? Well, from the little experience I have, no. I sent a track over to a label which they accepted(but they wanted a second track to sign me, but I never made a second track as I quit that scene). When I asked if it was okay to put up a small demo to my soundcloud they said no. Labels in general don't want that.

Advertisements

Fission is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote