Suggestions on how to promote Ambient music.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 19-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #1
hekmix
Minor Glitch
hekmix has a spectacular aura abouthekmix has a spectacular aura about
Cornwall
MC Status: 160
Icon5 Suggestions on how to promote Ambient music.

Where is the market exactly?

Any particular labels you could recommend? What are you experiences on getting your music out there? Just general info. I'm used to making rock/pop music, and that's relatively straightforward where all the key points are. But where is ambients niche?

Advertisements

hekmix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Stars of the Lid
Old 19-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
lebeux
IDMf Artist
lebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MClebeux is a savage MC
Madrid
MC Status: 59128426
Re: Suggestions on how to promote Ambient music.

make fabulously pretentious sonic installations and get grants and shit as a contemporary artist

call every nature documentary production house and sell cheaper than the big licensing companies

take an awful picture of yourself with a cat or dog for the cover of your CD and make up some retarded pseudoscientific claims about the effect of your music on pets

get releases that nobody will listen to on free digital netlabels run by vegan taoists

starve to death

etc
lebeux is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
hekmix
Minor Glitch
hekmix has a spectacular aura abouthekmix has a spectacular aura about
Cornwall

Oh, oh my. I guess I should start writing my own oblique strategies now then.

I can have a sticker on the album "these frequencies may contain noise"
hekmix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2013, 01:50 AM   #4
Techmonkey
Microknight
Techmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to beholdTechmonkey is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 960

Artist friendly distribution like Bandcamp or CD Baby? Posting links to your music via Soundcloud/Bandcamp on various ambient forums? What style of ambient do you create? Your sound is going to determine which label might be a good match.
Techmonkey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
prodmix
Microknight
prodmix will become famous soon enoughprodmix will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

soundcloud have interesting groups for promotion on ambient .. but you need a good account, not the normal
prodmix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 04:14 AM   #6
9:45
Knob Twiddler
9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold9:45 is a splendid one to behold
CT
MC Status: 858

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodmix View Post
soundcloud have interesting groups for promotion on ambient .. but you need a good account, not the normal
it really don't matter if you pay for soundcloud or not dude you can only have like 2hrs of time but if you need more go pro or make two accounts lol

------------------
Just sit back and chill
9:45 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #7
twilitez
twilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond reputetwilitez has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 9060

Try official.fm to sell directly from your own profile page. As for actually promoting ambient? Not the slightest idea since almost everyone i know finds it boring and thinks im a bit weird for regularly listening to it for 2-3 hours.
twilitez is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to twilitez
doo. (14-04-2013)
Old 23-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
thisENIGMA
Minor Glitch
thisENIGMA is currently spamming hard
TX
MC Status: 10

it seems all music is hard to promote now a days. i can imagine the struggle with ambient music.
thisENIGMA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #9
jVs
IDMf Supporter
jVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MCjVs is a savage MC
Scruffy City
MC Status: 105318089

I suppose you would go about it in the same manner as any other promotional means. (Social Networking, Make a video collage and set it to the music via youtube and other video hosting sites.) This probably isn't the most useful advice because I am certain that you are fully aware of these promotional means. Just do whatever you can to spread the news about your works.

------------------
:notafinga: Make synths 1984 again.
jVs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
oopoe
Learning The Ropes
oopoe will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

This has potential to be an interesting thread. The thing is, selling music is hard enough for the guys making catchy dance tracks, let alone for ambient producers, who will most often go unheard by virtually everyone, because normal people just don't listen to it.

Ambient is more for "intellects", not necessarily because we who like it are smart, but because more often than not, an ambient music fan is probably a fairly musical person anyway who really listens to the chords and melodies as oppose to the lyrics about getting drunk etc that every adolescent relates to. No one I know outside of my "music" circle of friends has even heard of Brian Eno, which is almost a sin.

Good luck with it, it's a tough world out there.
oopoe is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to oopoe
doo. (14-04-2013)
Old 11-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Theseus Project
Learning The Ropes
Theseus Project is currently spamming hard
Rome
MC Status: 10

Soundcoud is very good to promote your music, try to add people, and they will check your page and listen to your tracks...The play a lot live in good places...live music is ever the best things to be heard!
Theseus Project is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 10:06 PM   #12
Aniol
Soundscaper
Aniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to beholdAniol is a splendid one to behold
Huntington Beach
MC Status: 710

I say you should make a soundcloud definitely post some tracks on there. Then after that if you keep getting some good feedback then post a song or two on youtube. If you keep progressing over time you will build a following and you will be able to promote pretty well. People will share your songs on there facebook and so and so. Its pretty much like a web of promotion haha.
Aniol is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:43 PM   #13
doo.
Radial Developer
doo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to beholddoo. is a splendid one to behold
Nastyvilla
MC Status: 860

Great thread, thanks for the Official.fm suggestion. Also try beatport, they have a new section for dj and artist to create there own page.

------------------
New EP, thanks for Listening

doo. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #14
PazzyPazzy
Minor Glitch
PazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the roughPazzyPazzy is a jewel in the rough
California
MC Status: 260

I would like to reiterate a bit of what others said about Soundcloud. Soundcloud is a wonderful site to post and share your music...and it seems that the site is getting a lot more embed/widget support across the web (in fact I can see Soundcloud's logo in this text editor here on IDM Forums).

I find these suggestion topics can be sometimes humorous, as I feel that most of us posting in here have not reached Brian Eno levels of recognition; so any advice on how to do so is subject to a bit of uncertainty. But nonetheless we can all share our marketing/business ideas and further our career goals in unison here.

The first step that I personally took was to create an email address for the artist I was intending to publicize. Once that unique email address was set-up - I used it to join a number of websites - a few good ones are.

Soundcloud
Last.fm
Grooveshark
Bandcamp
Earbits
Spotify
YouTube

Get your music onto those websites and you will be in a better situation to start sharing the material...and also having random listeners stumble across your work...which they may or may not enjoy. I found the next step was to be publicizing this content on a variety of other social networking websites such as Facebook (create a page), Twitter, and Tumblr.

That can do a lot for general exposure - especially if you're active on all of your accounts (but not to the point of inundation...good way to lose followers). Engaging your fans through likes, reposts, comments, responses, etc. is a great way to build and maintain your audience.

In regards specifically to ambient music - I would recommend first you find out which labels you are a fan of. Labels that are home to some of your favorite artists, etc. Start googling these labels - generally on a label's website you'll find an "FAQ" or a "Contact" form. Look for any info regarding unsolicited demos. The key here is that the label you desire to be signed to is accepting unsolicited demos (unless of course you have a solicited demo). Many labels will not accept unsolicited demos for liability reasons...sending these labels a copy of your demo is a waste of yours and their time.

Some labels will be okay with an email with attachments, others will want a physical demo, and others are okay with you using their dropbox on Soundcloud. The trick is to look around...discover new labels (and in doing so new artists!) - get more acquainted with the labels of your favorite artists - and network, network, network.
PazzyPazzy is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PazzyPazzy
Gymnor (14-06-2013)
Old 14-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #15
loco_dave
Minor Glitch
loco_dave will become famous soon enoughloco_dave will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

Hi, all those pages are good to promote your music, but you have to spend a lot of time sitting on you desk to promote your music (its boring), but if you want more audience you have to promote your self, go and buy Virgin CDs and burn you music....then go to a coffee place, a hospital, or in a place where they have a lobby and sell your music to a low price... BUT in the cover of the cd put your contact info and....your artis name logos...and the go to you desk and star to promote your music on the internet IF YOU HAVE TIME....????? you will see the change....If your music is good.....

I hope this works for you and if it is helpful and you make some money rembember that i want to visit the UK and you can buy me some tickets on first class.

Greetings.....,
loco_dave is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2013, 06:43 AM   #16
Aphexbeats
Digital Surfer
Aphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond reputeAphexbeats has a reputation beyond repute
Wisconsin
MC Status: 3110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus Project View Post
Soundcoud is very good to promote your music, try to add people, and they will check your page and listen to your tracks...The play a lot live in good places...live music is ever the best things to be heard!
I don't think that adding a bunch of people on SC is a good strategy, because people will get annoyed. For example, you have a certain amount of songs and then follow 500 people - only some of those people will add you...and consequently your SC is filled with a bunch of other people's music in your feed - not cool! But playing your music or doing youtube, or following other artists you like and commenting on their songs may get you other followers.

------------------
Industrial, Trance, Dubstep, electronic, Ambient,
Current featured track:
Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/caffeinecannibal
Support my Band!http://lemork.bandcamp.com/album/waves
Aphexbeats is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Aphexbeats
ms_ (21-05-2013)
Old 21-05-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123310
Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,444 Posts

So true, aphex. Forcing people to listen to your music is a BAD decision. To me, it's very annoying. I'm not trying to follow everybody or follow people back. I see people who randomly follow me or favorite my tracks without even listening to them. Ugh, these fake alerts...
Just make a good ambient, upload it, share it on forums, maybe put it on youtube with right tags. If you're good - people will find you and your music. Just don't become one of these attention seekers. It needs time to grow your individuality as an artist.

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
SKYCORE (24-05-2013)
Old 10-06-2013, 09:05 PM   #18
Trillia
Regular Freak
Trillia will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

I think it's about getting a lot of things working together, any press you can manage plus social networking, twitter, facebook, SoundCloud etc. Also your own site and mailing list. But, you have to work on these things all the time not just when you have something to release.
Trillia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Trillia
GKM (18-09-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #19
Andreilg
Radial Developer
Andreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond reputeAndreilg has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2227

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebeux View Post
make fabulously pretentious sonic installations and get grants and shit as a contemporary artist

call every nature documentary production house and sell cheaper than the big licensing companies

take an awful picture of yourself with a cat or dog for the cover of your CD and make up some retarded pseudoscientific claims about the effect of your music on pets

get releases that nobody will listen to on free digital netlabels run by vegan taoists

starve to death

etc
I can't stop laughing
Andreilg is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:52 AM   #20
Sanoj Green
Regular Freak
Sanoj Green has a spectacular aura aboutSanoj Green has a spectacular aura about

One mistake I did with my former project.
Don't make it about numbers!

Sure, if you invite all your friends on facebook or even random people then the number of followers will rise. but no one cares about your music really.... make it about myour art and not the numbers.

Its easy to say....

Advertisements

Sanoj Green is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Sanoj Green
GKM (18-09-2013)