Ambient Online Podcast #17 (featuring: Ambient Mechanics)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 13-10-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 198410
Thanked 3,968 Times in 2,955 Posts
Ambient Online Podcast #17 (featuring: Ambient Mechanics)

Here's the Ambient Online Podcast that just went out, which features an interview with me (Ambient Mechanics)..for those who might be interested.

Advertisements

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2013, 06:56 PM   #2
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010
Re: Ambient Online Podcast #17 (featuring: Ambient Mechanics)

Listening right now!

The skype sound during the interview...

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
A.M (13-10-2013)
Old 13-10-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
Listening right now!

The skype sound during the interview...
Yeah..I know..and me speaking using a mobile / cell phone for the interview didn't help the quality any..I sound like I've got a cold or something!

It's funny how you sound different recorded to how you think you hear yourself in real life.

------------------
Old 13-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #4
Nyul
Nyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MCNyul is a savage MC
MC Status: 25010

Meh, it's fine man. You were understandable and sounded okay. Don't know how you really really sound though

Great interview, it was nice to hear more about the album and the reason behind the album. You made me even more curious for it
Well done, don't have anything to add besides thank you for doing this, it was a nice interview.

And damn... the next track, Hiroshima...

------------------
Nyul is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nyul
A.M (13-10-2013)
Old 13-10-2013, 08:05 PM   #5
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inertia View Post
Meh, it's fine man. You were understandable and sounded okay. Don't know how you really really sound though

Great interview, it was nice to hear more about the album and the reason behind the album. You made me even more curious for it
Well done, don't have anything to add besides thank you for doing this, it was a nice interview.

And damn... the next track, Hiroshima...
Thanks, man..appreciate the support and kind word on this..it was fun to do, albeit a little stressful.

------------------
Old 13-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #6
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199647118
Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,193 Posts

Listening now and you just mentioned Dead Can Dance.

I knew there was some reason I liked you.

And yeah that track just before the interview is awesome.

Can hear you loud and clear enough, great interview so far.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
A.M (13-10-2013)
Old 13-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #7
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFJ View Post
Listening now and you just mentioned Dead Can Dance.

I knew there was some reason I liked you.

And yeah that track just before the interview is awesome.

Can hear you loud and clear enough, great interview so far.
Thanks, RFJ, for that..much appreciated.

Yeah..there were others I would have mentioned, but it was a funny kind of feeling that I was speaking too quickly and not having enough time, which got me a bit flustered. Chris (S1gnsOfLife), who was interviewing me, was cool though and did a lot to relax me into it beforehand..really good guy, when it comes to doing Podcasts.

But, yeah, Dead Can Dance..been into them for some time now and was more than a little pissed when I couldn't make any of the dates on their recent world tour..it would have been great to catch em live.

It's strange really, but I didn't really think about just how much I've been into ambient music all the long..as, like most I guess, I was bombarded by pop and radio-friendly stuff for most of my life..and most times I came into contact with anything remotely ambient was through movies.

Things have changed a bit now and it's a lot more easy to get your hands on quality ambient..plus there are far more people actually making it..which also helps.

Anyway, thanks for checking this out and for letting me know what you think..nice one, dude.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
RFJ (13-10-2013)
Old 13-10-2013, 10:44 PM   #8
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199647118
Thanked 4,957 Times in 3,193 Posts

Yup real nice interview, just finished.

My favorite part was hearing you discus how you approach composition. Sounds very familiar to my process actually. You were talking about feeling, mood, the way tracks morph, and naming tracks. I like that method quite a bit. I find in my process that yields far better results than picking a genre or trying to make a certain type of bass or lead or what have you.

Working that way requires quite a bit of letting go and I think many newer artists that I see are afraid to do that.

RE dead can dance: now that I think about it we have discussed them before. I was lucky enough to see them in Hollywood a few years back and, as you can imagine, it was amazing.

I also didn't know you did music full time. That's pretty impressive.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
A.M

"Yup real nice interview, just finished."

Thanks again..good to hear you liked it.

"My favorite part was hearing you discus how you approach composition. Sounds very familiar to my process actually. You were talking about feeling, mood, the way tracks morph, and naming tracks. I like that method quite a bit. I find in my process that yields far better results than picking a genre or trying to make a certain type of bass or lead or what have you."

Yeah..I find it more intuitive this way and you are not closing any doors on yourself musically, which means you are mentally free to do whatever you want or like. I think some people start out being inspired and then lose that inspiration, replacing it with frustration, when they can't reproduce their own version of what originally inspired them.

Come to think of it, this is probably one of the underlying factors of the dreaded "artistic block", which is then compounded further when you compare you lack of progress to the perceived progress/success of others.

"Working that way requires quite a bit of letting go and I think many newer artists that I see are afraid to do that."

I think you are right about this, RFJ..it goes back to what I just said..about trying to hard to do the same as others, but only better. It's great that there are really talented people out there..but I would much rather listen to something original than yet another carbon copy of something that is like everything else out there at the moment.

But then again, I also think many see the material rewards and aim high in order to replicate that success..but few seldom do to any great or lasting extent. In the end, I think you need to let your muse speak through your heart and then express that feeling through your music..it's something that just can't be forces or faked..it's either there in your music or it's not..and it's something we ALL have..we just have to be open to letting it out and not being afraid to do so.

"RE dead can dance: now that I think about it we have discussed them before. I was lucky enough to see them in Hollywood a few years back and, as you can imagine, it was amazing."

Man, wish I were could have been there! I have wanted to see em live now for so long..and it really pained me to have to miss them this time round, but the good news is it looks pretty much like they are going to do it all over again, if the rumors on the grapevine are anything to go by. Doesn't look like they are going to drop out of sight again, like the last time.

"I also didn't know you did music full time. That's pretty impressive."

Yeah..though perhaps not as impressive as you might think. It would be nice to actually make a living from it..but at the moment that isn't the case. Still trying to make the dream come true in every way..but it's fun trying, even when you take into account all the little sacrifices that have to made alone the way to live my life like this. Wouldn't have it any other way..plus it helps a great deal to have a wife who is so supportive..without her I would be lost totally.

------------------
Thanks to A.M
RFJ (14-10-2013)
Old 15-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #10
ms_
IDMf Artist
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 123410
Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,446 Posts

It was really interesting to hear your story, AM. Really looking forward to your album!

------------------
ms_ is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
It was really interesting to hear your story, AM. Really looking forward to your album!
Cheer's MS..thanks for listening, man..nice of you to check it out and comment.

Advertisements

------------------