Live Ambient Performance/Ambient Improvisation - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rós, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 22-04-2011, 04:50 AM   #21
smueller
Granular Poster
smueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MCsmueller is a savage MC
Boston
MC Status: 134408
Re: Live Ambient Performance/Ambient Improvisation

Performing ambient music is one of my favorite things to do. Generally when I play I use my Akai MPK61, Launchpad, and LPD8

On the MPK are all my synth controls, level mixing, etc
The Launchpad holds field recordings (seashore, city, whatever)
The LPD has knobs assigned to parameters on the 'tape loops'

I then have some FX sends set up with tape loops set to various lengths.

It is all improvised (minus the planned field recordings and synths used).

I generally use Kontakt to make my own synth sounds from field recordings.

Advertisements

smueller is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #22
p_s_f
Soundwave Mangler
p_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MCp_s_f is a savage MC
MC Status: 1315326

I'm starting to work out the kinks in my set-up, but I use the following signal routing:

1.) Guitar => Tuner => Digitech Whammy => Way Huge Swollen Pickle Fuzz => ProCo Rat II Distortion => MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay => Boss SL-20 Rhythmic/Harmonic Slicer (stereo signal starts here) => Lexicon Licensed Digitech Reverb Pedal => Stereo into Focusrite Saffire 14 Firewire interface

2.) MacBook Pro running Ableton Live/MAX MSP

3.) MIDI stuff:

MIDI in:
-MPD 18 to trigger samples
-nanoKontrol for channel levels/effects sends
-Behringer FCB-1010 Trigger Samples/Looper On, Off, Reverse*

MIDI out:
-Korg Electribe EA-1*
-Boss SL-20*

*The Focusrite interface does all the non-USB MIDI.

It's fun that I'm starting to get the hang of this set-up. I may even start leaving the electribe at home.
p_s_f is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:37 PM   #23
Trillia
Regular Freak
Trillia will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutral View Post
Okay, so I want to add a little something to my live set. ATM I'm using the obligatory macbook, running ableton and m4l, controlled by a launchpad and a nocturn knob-box. I just want some opinions on whether adding a guitar and some pedals and messing with lives looper would be a good idea considering I'm not exactly a great guitar player. I play guitar a lot on my tracks but it's generally so heavily processed you cant even tell its a guitar. I just think if I played it live people would be able to tell how much I suck and it would be off putting haha.

tldr; Should I play some guitar live even though I'm shit?

It isn't about how good you are, it's about how good the music is.... nothing else should matter.
Trillia is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #24
Trimethylene
Analog Lurker
Trimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MCTrimethylene is a savage MC
MC Status: 550946

Hey, guys I would like to add that Artillery is excellent if you like to add some cool effects and transitions to your live songs (improving on effects like vowel filters and chorus and stutters sounds mad good on pads and there is tons of fun to be had with it) haven't earned myself any gigz yet but when I do I plan on improvising on this thing called an inverse Arpeggiator live at certain parts, I came up with the idea myself,
pick your favourite chord I pick a 7th chord because your going to probably want 4 notes
Modulate each note of this chord individually to change to the next chord in the progression
I E Fsharpminor gets modulated up 5 pitches and so does its fith and 7th but you want it to be major this time so the 3rd gets modulated 6 shifts,
(I am talking midi pitch shifting by the way not audio)
Do this for a simple or complex and evolving chord progression, do this for every octave on your keyboard or the pads on your midi controller.
Realize how much better at keyboard you are now if you where less then very good before.

I also have all my glitchy sounds synthesized or sampled out of Absynth instead of just straight out of ableton, this way I can do cool Grain and filter modulations live by twisting knobs on my glitches.

That about all I can think of doing live for me right now I hope this thread brings tons of new ideas for everyone.

also this is really old and bad but it is the only recording of me (or anyone in the world) playing the inverse arp, I am working on some stuff with it right now but haven't used in in a while check out the other stuff on my page for better quality. All the new stuff I am working on is written with it

------------------
Trimethylene is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:31 AM   #25
mwvm
Regular Freak
mwvm is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

i really enjoy the guitar>fx (looper)>amp - less stressful as there's less thing to go wrong... this approach is has its downsides though as i think it's less interesting for the audience. plus, looping loud can really be hard to get certain parts to differentiate from each other and can end up sounding...well...shite really.

laptop through a pa is much more rewarding as it sounds much better but so so difficult to do. especially if you're performing "songs" and not improvising... i used live and trigger parts and recorded loops with a midi foots switch... never again!!!
mwvm is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:37 AM   #26
pidgyn
Learning The Ropes
pidgyn is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I use ableton + akai mpk49 as midi controller + M-audio Fast-track c600 + shure sm57 mic + Brunetti combo 37W + bunch of effects + amp + guitar ofc. All is played live mainly using loops. really hard thing to do but so much rewarding.
pidgyn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 12:45 AM   #27
Tsachi
IDMf Artist
Tsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MCTsachi is a savage MC
MC Status: 12160

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakerobert View Post
midi out to->Juno 106
I'm so jealous >_>

Last edited by Tsachi; 14-03-2013 at 12:55 AM..
Tsachi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2013, 12:55 AM   #28
D_Davis
D_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MCD_Davis is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 11124485
Thanked 1,136 Times in 828 Posts

Here is my current live ambient set up:

Not pictured - Digitech Stereo JamMan, on floor.
D_Davis is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to D_Davis
Nyul (27-05-2013)
Old 18-03-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
LavLab
Minor Glitch
LavLab has a spectacular aura aboutLavLab has a spectacular aura about
Boston, MA
MC Status: 160

Here's some ambient improvisations that i did a while back. Using Roland SP-808, Emu MP-7, Mackie D2 mixer & boss effect pedals.
LavLab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #30
Dreamometry
Minor Glitch
Dreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the roughDreamometry is a jewel in the rough
Minnesota
MC Status: 310

Just got Izotope's Stutter Edit.... makes very nice for live transitions and whatnot!
Awesome program, maybe seems like cheating, but I don't have the time to program ALLL that stuff!
Dreamometry is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 PM   #31
Gymnor
Soundwave Mangler
Gymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to beholdGymnor is a splendid one to behold
Ghent
MC Status: 960

It ain't the gear. It's what you do with it. I've been creating soundscapes with no other "gear" than my bariton saxophone and two friends on alto sax and flute respectively. Then you get something like this:

and the other White Rum stuff on my profile there (recorded live on one single crappy mic, not processed at all, so yes, the sound sucks). Maybe not what you guys consider ambient, but the general idea is the same: soundscape away with slowly evolving tones and grooves.

Next step in this experiment will be adding a computer with Ableton Live, a launchpad / midicontroller, tons of bird samples and a mic with effects added. As I'll be honking away on a saxophone, the launchpad and the occasional effect manipulation is going to be all the electronic input in the story. The whole idea is to see whatevery inspiration of the moment comes when we add samples and effects to the mix.

This said, if you have a stage full of wacko gear and you get some wicked nice sounds out of that, I'll be standing in awe in front of the stage, enjoying every moment of it. As said, it ain't the gear...

Last edited by Gymnor; 06-06-2013 at 01:02 PM..
Gymnor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 01:16 PM   #32
v.kulla
Regular Freak
v.kulla has a spectacular aura aboutv.kulla has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I`m involved in a small ambient orchestra, that`s how we define our group. We are 7 people, sometimes doing collaborations. We use diy synths and instruments, "bought" synths, loads of effects (incl. diy boxes), bass guitar, percussion, voice, samples, etc. Our sessions are improvised. We set up our stuff and start playing, usually play for half an hour, or an hour. I can`t imagine bringing a laptop into these sessions and staring at a screen all the time. I think it would somehow lessen the experience of communicating sounds between each other.
v.kulla is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM   #33
Ironpaw
Regular Freak
Ironpaw is a jewel in the roughIronpaw is a jewel in the roughIronpaw is a jewel in the rough
Kyoto, Japan
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gymnor View Post
It ain't the gear. It's what you do with it. I've been creating soundscapes with no other "gear" than my bariton saxophone and two friends on alto sax and flute respectively. Then you get something like this:

Sounds awesome! I might have to sample that one day.

Advertisements

Ironpaw is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote