Best field recorder for ambient sounds?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Ambient / Downtempo Discussion of music similar to Brian Eno, Sigur Rs, FSOL, The Orb, Biosphere.

Old 14-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
ASunProject
Analog Lurker
ASunProject will become famous soon enoughASunProject will become famous soon enough
Newcastle
MC Status: 138
Best field recorder for ambient sounds?

Hi, been looking into field recorders for recording both samples and field recording (i.e background noise, crowds etc).

Which one would y'all recommend? So far the Zoom H4n sounds like my best bet

Cheers.

Advertisements

------------------
Get some free/pay what you want music at
http://artificialsunproject.bandcamp.com/
ASunProject is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
ambientmonkey
Regular Freak
ambientmonkey is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
Re: Best field recorder for ambient sounds?

I have the Zoom recorder H1 - Fantastic little tool. Recommended.
ambientmonkey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2010, 05:55 AM   #3
mightyspirit
Sample Destroyer
mightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MC
Vancouver, BC
MC Status: 295256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASunProject View Post
Hi, been looking into field recorders for recording both samples and field recording (i.e background noise, crowds etc).

Which one would y'all recommend? So far the Zoom H4n sounds like my best bet

Cheers.
Blue Microphones make a mic that will turn your iphone into a recorder. don't know if thats an option. i heard they were ok. Zoom, Roland, M-Audio and Fostex all make quite a few different models all with different options depending on usage.

------------------
mightyspirit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
astroidmist
Banned
astroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MCastroidmist is a savage MC
3 floors above you
MC Status: 13248268

The Zoom H1 is only 100 bucks these days. Can't beat that.
astroidmist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2010, 10:57 PM   #5
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
m_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne Australia
MC Status: 501

Yeah I just got the H1 and am fairly obsessed with recording every moment. (what can I say its a new toy!) different room sounds in my house street sounds etc, etc, etc.

But really anything will work. If your cash strapped use your mobile phone, sounds really "crap" but that may give you a sound that defines what you do. Or an old school tape dictaphone - there a little hard to find new - I have been looking for a while cause I do tape manipulation stuff.

check out this - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Madlib is awesome! but he talks about the equipment he uses, and how he works with an old 4 track and his dr sample with its inbuilt effects, and he makes amazing stuff that gets released comercially.

I know that this is about making ambient recordings, but if you take this attitude and apply it to what ever your doing you'll be very productive.

P.S. I still think the Zoom is a beast for bugger all bucks!

Last edited by m_wallus; 17-11-2010 at 11:40 PM..
m_wallus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
ASunProject
Analog Lurker
ASunProject will become famous soon enoughASunProject will become famous soon enough
Newcastle

Does anybody have experience of the H1 AND something like the H4n, or just experience with the h4n in general? I had another ambient musician tell me that the H1 just doesn't compare when stacked up against the H4n, even for the price.

------------------
Old 18-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
mightyspirit
Sample Destroyer
mightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MCmightyspirit is a savage MC
Vancouver, BC
MC Status: 295256

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASunProject View Post
Does anybody have experience of the H1 AND something like the H4n, or just experience with the h4n in general? I had another ambient musician tell me that the H1 just doesn't compare when stacked up against the H4n, even for the price.
the h4n is a much higher quality unit so if you have the funds for it, i would go to the better model.

the h4 has real xlr mic inputs as well as an on-board stereo mic, the h1 has no XLR only a small plug in power mic jack

the h4 is also a 4 track recorder with usb out.

heres the deets

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by mightyspirit; 18-11-2010 at 09:58 PM..

------------------
mightyspirit is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #8
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
m_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of lightm_wallus is a glorious beacon of light
Melbourne Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyspirit View Post

the h4 is also a 4 track recorder with usb out.

Yeah true about the quality of sound and the quality of the build is a lot nicer, even the H2 is a lot better built. If your using it in the field, having the xlr connections probably doesn't matter it's not like it will have phantom power or

And for the record the h1 has a usb out as well, not that you would use it. Its so much faster to stick the card in a built in card reader, if you got one, and download. In my experience its 3 of more times faster.
Old 18-11-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
Melbourne Australia

I know what I'll do I'll up load some field recordings I have done at various qualities. I have been getting into birds with traffic, and if you would like me to try something in particular just let me know, I am happy to experiment.

If someone has a H4n that they are happy to do the same with, we can all listen to the difference.

Last edited by m_wallus; 18-11-2010 at 11:41 PM..
Currently Listening To: WFMU radio
Old 19-11-2010, 08:15 AM   #10
ASunProject
Analog Lurker
Newcastle

Quote:
I know what I'll do I'll up load some field recordings I have done at various qualities. I have been getting into birds with traffic, and if you would like me to try something in particular just let me know, I am happy to experiment.

If someone has a H4n that they are happy to do the same with, we can all listen to the difference.
Awesome, thanks
Just a bit of ambient field recording like you said and a few samples of some organic sounds, i.e closing a door or something simple.

------------------
Old 22-11-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
Melbourne Australia

I made a bunch of recordings over the weekend and have been extremely busy. So sorry I have not posted the files yet. Hopefully I'll get a chance tonight after work.
Old 24-11-2010, 09:11 AM   #12
Somnio
KDSKH
Somnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MCSomnio is a savage MC
Boulder
MC Status: 2240146

Oh man, this is a perfect thread!

OP [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I'm personally leaning towards the Zoom h2 because it seems to be among the more sturdy/compact recorders, plus my budget is super-tight.
I really look forward to hearing M-wallus' comparative recordings, though. If the quality of the H4n is good enough/h2 poor enough, I just might bite the bullet for an H4n.
Somnio is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
Melbourne Australia

if my internet wants to work properly I shall put up a bit of sound for you it is all recorded on a H1 as I went for the mega budget/I cant wait option, and don't regret it. I am only using it as a sketch and note pad I have other gear and mics to use when in the studio.

You can really hear the difference when your playing around with the different quality settings. As I said I am using it as a note pad to quickly talk about ideas while I'm walking to work or out and about and have tried the different quality setting on MP3 and WAV.

One cool thing on this is that you can add tags while your recording in wav by pressing play, it doesn't create separate files but is handy if you making a recording and then think of something - you just hit play then blab away and you don't have to trawl through hours of crap to find it.

Damn Net keeps crashing!!! I have uploaded the file but it keeps stopping.

P.S. I am on Mobile internet in Australia so give me a brake, its fast enough but not the most reliable!!

Last edited by m_wallus; 24-11-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Currently Listening To: my mind screaming and my body sweating!
Old 24-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
Melbourne Australia

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

So anoying!! i dont know why that didn't work properly.
Any way, some Australiana soundings.

The files are all over the place in terms of I have used both WAVS and MP3s here at various different qualities

Last edited by m_wallus; 24-11-2010 at 11:08 PM.. Reason: sorry for all the mess!!
Currently Listening To: listening to trams and rain out window while sweataing
Old 24-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #15
vx cheerleader
Microknight
vx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MCvx cheerleader is a savage MC
MC Status: 39034

the H4N is DEFINITELY an incredible tool, of very good quality. Some field recordings I did ijn Japan can be downloaded there : [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
vx cheerleader is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #16
m_wallus
Analog Lurker
Melbourne Australia

Thanks cheerleader. I'll have a listen when I next have a little more bandwidth!! but its good to see your site. what you are doing seems very interesting.

I dont know if this is something that anyone would be interested in but I played a ambient gig last night and it was recorded on a H4n straight of the desk so this may be of interest for this post. I know its not a feild recording but still may be helpfull

Last edited by m_wallus; 29-11-2010 at 11:37 PM.. Reason: thought I'd update this as I dont want more wizards on this post
Currently Listening To: traffic of friday revelers out window in rain (suckers)
Old 02-12-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
iniitu
Regular Freak
iniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MCiniitu is a savage MC
Schaerbeek / Jakarta
MC Status: 37520

using H4N with much satisfaction, after toying for years with a sony minidisk + ECM 907
iniitu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #18
ASunProject
Analog Lurker
Newcastle

I just found this thread again!
Thanks for all the responses! I ended up opting for the H4n, when i have the cash anyway, as I need some inputs into which i can plug a couple of Piezo contact microphones so i can mic up a bit of sheet metal and punch it etc.
H4n has got good reviews by everyone by the sounds of it. Good stuff.

Last edited by ASunProject; 13-12-2010 at 08:47 AM.. Reason: Spelling error, oops ;)

------------------
Old 10-12-2010, 09:33 AM   #19
quiethorn
Learning The Ropes
quiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MCquiethorn is a savage MC
Honolulu, HI
MC Status: 10412

I still have my old Zoom H4 and it's been my main tool for sound ever since I got it. Field recorder, audio interface, it does it all. If I breaks, I'll probably get an H4n.
quiethorn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2010, 03:18 PM   #20
paradox077nyc
Minor Glitch
paradox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MCparadox077nyc is a savage MC
bronx,ny
MC Status: 35619

hello there...How did the use of the MiniDisc and microphone work for field recordings?I have yet to try it...

Advertisements

paradox077nyc is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: soundtracks