starting a youtube channel (legal implications, financial etc)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Side Room Off topic chat about pretty much anything other than music. Try to be respectful. Strong debate is welcomed, insults and trolling are not. This area is for over 18's only and may occasionally contain NSFW material, although it's not encouraged.

Old 10-04-2012, 07:28 AM   #1
henryspencer
Digital Surfer
henryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MChenryspencer is a savage MC
MC Status: 2983763
starting a youtube channel (legal implications, financial etc)

I am curious to ask those of you who know the in's and out's of this stuff, are there legal implications of starting a youtube channel basically posting my favorite songs (by other artists) with a picture set as the video? Can these be pulled off at any time or are they seen as promotion for the artists?

Also I know you cant make money off someone elses music but are there not times when people post music by other bands on their channels and then an add runs before it starts? Wouldnt they be making money off that?

Im just curious because I thought it might be cool to start a channel with playlists and see if theres any way to make a bit of spare change in the process. Let me know what you all think!

Advertisements

henryspencer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: starting a youtube channel (legal implications, financial etc)

The implications? If someone doesn't want you posting their material it will get taken down so just post to your hearts content and hope for the best. Often times, and especially with youtube, content is matched to their providers and chances are any advertisements before a waveform that has been matched to a content provider will be generated to their audiences and revenue made in their name.

In terms of spare change, on youtube, not likely unless you're generating original video content and millions of people are interested in it.

Advertisements

PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote