Richie Hawtin a.k.a Plastikman
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-31-2012, 02:54 PM   #1
Tanzwut
Regular Freak
Tanzwut will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 68
Richie Hawtin a.k.a Plastikman

Surprised there isnt a topic on him already since he is a fairly big name in the techno world. Was wondering what people think of him on the board.

Seen him several time, sometimes he can be amazing and other times fairly average. He seams fairly full of him self, but i guess all that ass kissing can go to your head. however his work under plastikman is amazing and i saw him last year do his 1.5 tour. i really enjoyed it and visually it was amazing, though some people i talked to were not impressed. also his albums like deck FX and 909 and transitions are really good. however he is really just a DJ now rather than a producer. he is also very innovative when it comes to performance, with things like the contakt and plastikman.

Advertisements

Tanzwut is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Tanzwut
bassling (07-04-2012)
Old 03-09-2012, 09:41 AM   #2
Stay'n Alive
Stay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MCStay'n Alive is a savage MC
I'm in my happy place...
MC Status: 30505651
Re: Richie Hawtin a.k.a Plastikman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzwut View Post

Seen him several time, sometimes he can be amazing and other times fairly average.
Yeah, I've seen him DJ'ing once, it was, you know, quality minimal tech. He's pretty interesting, actually, he routinely runs 3 or 4 tracks together. His decision not to beatmatch himslef but leave it to the computer may be controversial, but it's just the future. Haters be hating.

Quote:
though some people i talked to were not impressed.
I've been to his 1.5 show in Montreal, where he played one day after Amon Tobin, and it seems like he was 0wned by Amon. I found the visuals pretty immersive, though.

Musically speaking, some of the people I talked to were not convinced, but I think it was awesome. Surgically clean Techno, awesome acid lines, interesting rhythmic ambiguity, fucking RIMSHOTS... I really love rimshots.

It wasn't revolutionnary, but it's like condensing all of Plastikman's best tracks in a 1:15 show. It's prettu cool after all.

Quote:
however he is really just a DJ now rather than a producer.
Yeah, that annoys me a bit. He's a good producer, I'm sure he could put out some quality music. But yeah, he got his M_nus label which is continuously pumping awesomeness, and he's doing a quality DJ work. Fair enough.

------------------
"Merry Christmas, or your localized Christmas equivalent"

- Penny Arcade's Tycho
Stay'n Alive is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 09:46 AM   #3
tripwave
Analog Lurker
tripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MCtripwave is a savage MC
MC Status: 19975

i dont think computer sync with ritchie should be any form of debate. he mastered 4 turntables and onslaughts of fx processors and samplers back in the day...if he can keep 4 decks going in sync back then on vinyl...hes earned the right to keep it easy.....now with computers he/we can all focus on loop points, effects, better mixing, and other crazyness. instead of worrying about beatmatching but thats a whole nudder discussion.

he is one of my idols as a producer tho and dj.
tripwave is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:36 PM   #4
Muonos
Deep Underground
Muonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MCMuonos is a savage MC
Atlanta
MC Status: 1336412

I am saw him in San Fran last summer. Pretty amazing set, really knows how to DJ minimal
Muonos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:37 PM   #5
DigitalStructrs
Minor Glitch
DigitalStructrs is on a distinguished road
Planet Earth & beyond
MC Status: 10

the one and only

------------------
DigitalStructrs is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
Dilek PR
Regular Freak
Dilek PR is on a distinguished road

Anyone has an opinion about his Twitter DJ app?
Dilek PR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Divercity
Red Gains signifies POWER
Divercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MCDivercity is a savage MC
MC Status: 109299477

one word.... Legend

------------------
"Live the early years of your life like most people wont, so you can live the rest of your life like most people can't"
Divercity is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Mr Gem
Minor Glitch
Mr Gem will become famous soon enoughMr Gem will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 110

See him at brixton academy in london last christmas for his 1.5 show and was slightly disappointed. It wasn't because his set was bad or anything, I absolutely loved every second but it just seemed to end so quickly. Think he played for just over and hour and the whole night ended at half 1.

But yeah it was an experience i'll never forget.. just wish it would of lasted a bit longer.

------------------
Mr Gem - City Souls, Series I (Techno Mix)

http://soundcloud.com/mr-gem
Mr Gem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Jase Watford
Learning The Ropes
Jase Watford is on a distinguished road
Thunder Bay

He is and always will be a major pioneer, I opened for him a very long time ago in Windsor. He is always looking for a way to expand his horizons. Canada's best DJ, ever!

Last edited by Jase Watford; 07-04-2012 at 07:53 PM..
Jase Watford is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
bassling
Soundwave Mangler
bassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MCbassling is a savage MC
Wagga Wagga
MC Status: 4416964

I'd like to see him live. Plastikman is amazing work, the aesthetic really challenged my ideas about EDM and the reverbs are lovely.

------------------
More remixes at the Bassling blog
bassling is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
TeQuin
Learning The Ropes
TeQuin is on a distinguished road
London

Quote:
Surprised there isnt a topic on him already since he is a fairly big name in the techno world. Was wondering what people think of him on the board.

Seen him several time, sometimes he can be amazing and other times fairly average. He seams fairly full of him self, but i guess all that ass kissing can go to your head. however his work under plastikman is amazing and i saw him last year do his 1.5 tour. i really enjoyed it and visually it was amazing, though some people i talked to were not impressed. also his albums like deck FX and 909 and transitions are really good. however he is really just a DJ now rather than a producer. he is also very innovative when it comes to performance, with things like the contakt and plastikman.
I saw Richie Hawtin at SW4 festival in London last year - the festival itself was disappointing but Richie saved the day with his awesomeness. I also saw him with the M-nus crew at the Contakt show - amazing! The visuals were stunning too. Have you seen the Contakt documentary? Definitely worth seeing.

I agree, he does seem 'full of himself' but then I would be too if I were him!
TeQuin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #12
Oktipus
Minor Glitch
Oktipus will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60

Seen Richie Hawtin several times over the years and he's always pretty spot on. When he came out with the Sheet One album back in the early 90's, it simply opened the doors for the techno scene. I think in the late 90's he started getting darker and it put off a lot of people but it quite clear Plastikman had an influence on Autechre, Aphex Twin and most of the Warp Records roster.
Oktipus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:19 AM   #13
Minimalistic1
Learning The Ropes
Minimalistic1 is on a distinguished road

Richie is a amazing DJ, look at his set on boiler room !
Minimalistic1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jase Watford View Post
Canada's best DJ, ever!
Which is a pity because the country doesn't realise the talent it had.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to TL072
PROton42 (09-05-2013)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:33 PM   #15
Djcheesehead
Deep Underground
Djcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond reputeDjcheesehead has a reputation beyond repute
New York City
MC Status: 9310

Amazing lecture from Richie:
Djcheesehead is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 10:17 PM   #16
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

He made me love Minimal Techno so he's cool.
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 05:52 PM   #17
TL072
Master of the LFO
TL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond reputeTL072 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 6110

Then you may thrilled to know he has a new album:

Just started listening to it as you reminded me I saw that it was getting its release online. I love his work too, but sometimes it is hard to reconcile my love of the early music, with some of the modern hyped less-than-exciting music and over the top PR.
TL072 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 04:43 AM   #18
Chinra
Learning The Ropes
Chinra is on a distinguished road

I've been wanting to see him!
I will definitely make the effort if he is in town.
My friends constantly talk about that one time they went to his show, and now I regret not making it lol
Chinra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:15 AM   #19
tungsten
Minor Glitch
tungsten is just really nicetungsten is just really nicetungsten is just really nicetungsten is just really nicetungsten is just really nice
BC
MC Status: 410

I just got into Hawtin recently as I delve into the 303 and minimal techno. That 2013 interview is great. I saw a documentary about him, but I think he represents himself better than the docu' does.

------------------
tungsten is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:26 AM   #20
Ed Nomi
Analog Lurker
Ed Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud ofEd Nomi has much to be proud of
Antwerp
MC Status: 1310

Saw him last week at a fashion pop-up store in Antwerp, great atmosphere & vibe.
I met him and he's a good guy, gave him a demo of mine and he seemed enthousiastic and caring.

Advertisements

------------------
Ed Nomi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote