The "How do I do that?" Thread
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 27-02-2007, 06:25 PM   #1
Gummo
Regular Freak
Gummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura about
Milano
MC Status: 241
The "How do I do that?" Thread

Post here (possibly with soundclips or time references for more popular tracks) those parts in tracks that youve tried to imitate but just never could find a way to do so correctly.

Or if you know of a trick used in a track, post it here.

Or something.

Advertisements

Gummo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 08:32 PM   #2
HL-SDK
Learning The Ropes
HL-SDK has a spectacular aura aboutHL-SDK has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 175
Re: The "How do I do that?" Thread

I have a good trick some know about, some don't...

You reverse an audio clip, apply reverb, and reverse it again, so it plays normally, but with a reverb lead in... Try it!

I don't know if this could work with other effects.

HL-SDK is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 09:38 PM   #3
Gummo
Regular Freak
Gummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura aboutGummo has a spectacular aura about
Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by HL-SDK View Post

You reverse an audio clip, apply reverb, and reverse it again, so it plays normally, but with a reverb lead in... Try it!

I think I'm going to try that right now.
Old 27-02-2007, 10:33 PM   #4
stu
Administrator
stu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MCstu is a savage MC
Melbourne
MC Status: 5803463

I wouldn't say I've ever tried to imitate an entire track but maybe a sound or method within a track that I've heard.....

We actually used to have a dedicated forum to this topic so maybe we could join this with some of the older threads

------------------
Gleam - What I spend 110% of my time on these days.
stu is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2007, 11:40 PM   #5
Gummo
Regular Freak
Milano

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu View Post
I wouldn't say I've ever tried to imitate an entire track but maybe a sound or method within a track that I've heard.....

We actually used to have a dedicated forum to this topic so maybe we could join this with some of the older threads
Yeah, imitating an entire track is boring.... but sometimes you just hear stuff and think "shit, I want to do that too."

It happens to me at least 376 times whenever I listen to anything by Trentemoller
Old 01-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #6
HL-SDK
Learning The Ropes
HL-SDK has a spectacular aura aboutHL-SDK has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 175

Ok, I sort of have a grip on how to do this:

Boards of Canada - Kaini Industries

It's just one instrument but very cool.

Keep in mind, this is analog...

Sawtooth, Low pass filter, low resonance, 12/24dB, VCA, ADSR.

The adsr has a bit of attack in some parts, and low attack in others. I think this was recorded with manual manipulation of attack setting. VCF was also controlled with ADSR... The melody is really the great part, but it is a very complex piece and I recommend for you all to listen.
HL-SDK is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:53 PM   #7
aSim3tRie
Learning The Ropes
aSim3tRie is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Ok, I sort of have a grip on how to do this:

Boards of Canada - Kaini Industries

It's just one instrument but very cool.

Keep in mind, this is analog...

Sawtooth, Low pass filter, low resonance, 12/24dB, VCA, ADSR.

The adsr has a bit of attack in some parts, and low attack in others. I think this was recorded with manual manipulation of attack setting. VCF was also controlled with ADSR... The melody is really the great part, but it is a very complex piece and I recommend for you all to listen.
thank you m8 ... lets try!!
aSim3tRie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #8
staticreact
staticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MC
Seattle
MC Status: 267936

I've been trying to figure out how to get a bass sound similar to "The Reward Is Cheese" by Deadmau5 (not "The Reward Is MORE Cheese"). Anyone able to get this?

Here is a link to a sound clip of it:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
staticreact is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 05:57 AM   #9
rfsprat
Microknight
rfsprat is a splendid one to beholdrfsprat is a splendid one to beholdrfsprat is a splendid one to beholdrfsprat is a splendid one to beholdrfsprat is a splendid one to beholdrfsprat is a splendid one to behold
California
MC Status: 670

Quote:

Would this be a good alternative to using buses to apply reverse reverb?
I've tried to get a good sound through reverse reverbs techniques and for some reason I can't get anything I'm proud of
rfsprat is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Persiflage
Persiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond reputePersiflage has a reputation beyond repute
Eugene, OR
MC Status: 2142

Quote:

Oldy but goody. Can also work well with delay sometimes, depending on the material you're effecting. du-duh-dUh-dUH-DUH. As for other effects, unless the effect is time dependent, like delay or reverb, where it adds sound after the dry signal, the effect is going to sound pretty much the same backwards as forwards.

------------------
Persiflage is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #11
phiniusmaste
Learning The Ropes
phiniusmaste is currently spamming hard

There was a thread about this a while ago but it got closed for getting off topic I think, anyways, does anyone know how to get a sound like:

Deadmau5 also has several songs with a sound like that.

Someone in the aforementioned thread suggested:

"a couple detuned saw tooths, low pass filter with an envelope with an immediate attack, medium fast decay.

noodle around with the filter cutoff til it sounds about right, probably around 50% or something...

really simple."

But the thing is I'm not really sure how to accomplish that using Image Line's Toxic Biohazard (I know it's not the best), as I'm unsure as to how to add a low pass filter or an envelope in that software. Thanks everyone!
phiniusmaste is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
staticreact
staticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MCstaticreact is a savage MC
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by phiniusmaste View Post
There was a thread about this a while ago but it got closed for getting off topic I think, anyways, does anyone know how to get a sound like:

Deadmau5 also has several songs with a sound like that.

Someone in the aforementioned thread suggested:

"a couple detuned saw tooths, low pass filter with an envelope with an immediate attack, medium fast decay.

noodle around with the filter cutoff til it sounds about right, probably around 50% or something...

really simple."

But the thing is I'm not really sure how to accomplish that using Image Line's Toxic Biohazard (I know it's not the best), as I'm unsure as to how to add a low pass filter or an envelope in that software. Thanks everyone!
It doesn't sound exactly the same, but I think I got pretty close.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...plucksynth.jpg

Just mess with the cutoff as desired and there you go.

------------------
Old 30-12-2009, 04:26 PM   #13
phiniusmaste
Learning The Ropes

Thanks. Unfortunately I still have to wait 12 hours before it will let me view links, so until then I'll sit tight. Again, thanks!
Old 30-12-2009, 11:22 PM   #14
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

I like time stretching things until you can't tell what it is, applying effects like reverb or chorus to it, then pinching it back to it's original time. Oldschool audacity fuckery!

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2009, 10:53 PM   #15
phiniusmaste
Learning The Ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by staticreact View Post
It doesn't sound exactly the same, but I think I got pretty close.

http://i621.photobucket.com/albums/t...plucksynth.jpg

Just mess with the cutoff as desired and there you go.
Awesome! I played around a little more with the EQ, voices and stuff and got pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a bunch!
Old 24-01-2010, 08:00 AM   #16
Ryz0n
Minor Glitch
Ryz0n is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 11

I was wondering how to create some of the big reverb effects that are in this song.

They're pretty much throughout the song, but I'm referring to parts at like 00:42 where there is a lot of delay/reverb and panning. What is the root sound that he is using? Is it like a clap, a crash, a cymbal, etc.? What kind of delay is being used as well and also what kind of settings achieve an effect like that? I have a hard time making delays really long like that. Can you guys help?

------------------
Logic Pro 8
Ryz0n is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2010, 07:51 PM   #17
staticreact
Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryz0n View Post
I was wondering how to create some of the big reverb effects that are in this song.

They're pretty much throughout the song, but I'm referring to parts at like 00:42 where there is a lot of delay/reverb and panning. What is the root sound that he is using? Is it like a clap, a crash, a cymbal, etc.? What kind of delay is being used as well and also what kind of settings achieve an effect like that? I have a hard time making delays really long like that. Can you guys help?
It just sounds like a white noise oscillator with a bit a reverb and panning effects to me. Make a synth with one white noise oscillator, add a reverb (mess with the effects as you want cause its different on each one) and if you don't already have a LP filter built into the synth throw one of those in. Start the note with the filter open and hold it out as long as you want it and automate the filter to slowly close until its near completely closed at the end of the note and there you go. It also sounds like he did some side-chaining to the kick so that it "pumps" with the song.

------------------
Old 01-02-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Ryz0n
Minor Glitch
Ryz0n is currently spamming hard
Los Angeles
MC Status: 11

Ah shoot, I accidentally linked the wrong song. I was referring to "Get Wild" by Sharam.

------------------
Logic Pro 8
Ryz0n is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:09 PM   #19
tekcor
Minor Glitch
tekcor will become famous soon enoughtekcor will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 116

take a return track and put a delay and a reverb on it. set the delay time to 2 in sync mode. and find a reverb preset which fits best for your hihats and snare.
than automate at the same time:
-Send turns up slowly on HH/Snare track
-Delay Feedback turns up slowly
-Reverb decay time turns up slowly

if your automation comes to the point where the effect should end with the big release like in the clip you posted, then:

-just turn off the send (very high reverb decay time at this point)

you could also put sidechaining on the effect or play arond with panning and filter modulations or such things like staticreact allready told.

have fun
tekcor is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
balboosa
Learning The Ropes
balboosa is currently spamming hard

Hi!
I've been wondering for a long time, how can I get that crazy sound that's used probably in every modern electro house tune? For example in here [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
from 1:30. I'm using Acid pro 7.0 with Albino and Predator. Thanks already!

Advertisements

balboosa is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote