Is signing to a label worth it?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-20-2017, 04:35 AM   #1
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the rough
Philadephia
MC Status: 260
Is signing to a label worth it?

A few days ago, i just released my very first album and i submitted it to a site called Demodrop (do people even use that site anymore?) but then i get this email from an independent label located in the UK and they were interested in my music. I want to ask you guys if it is worth it signing to a label that claims they have "huge" success from their previous artists?

Advertisements

aktiveight is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Aktiveight - The Corporation. I
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23560
Re: Is signing to a label worth it?

Give them everything.

If they require money upfront I suggest you pay it as soon as you can, otherwise you might miss the opportunity altogether.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 04:42 AM   #3
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
aktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the roughaktiveight is a jewel in the rough
Philadephia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Give them everything.

If they require money upfront I suggest you pay it as soon as you can, otherwise you might miss the opportunity altogether.
Its not my first time getting a record deal. many of them ask for like a cut in my royalties and a use for my name and what not. I'm not shy on signing its just that i do not want to end up like what Pharrell did with that song "Happy" in which he got over 23 million plays on spotify and only got like $2,700 from the royalties because of the label splits and every other nook of his rediculous deal
Old 03-20-2017, 04:49 AM   #4
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939281
Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,547 Posts

Research the label, contact their artists and ask them what they got out of the deals they made, look for their promo trail on the internet i.e. where and how they are advertising. Is it going to benefit you in the long run? Will t hey promo your album for a week and then fuck off to some other artist? Are they doing banner ads in high traffic sites?

I've been there before. They like to talk up their game but some labels often don't deliver and you could probably just dive in yourself, spend some actual money and hire a marketing firm and take out ads yourself and do just as well as if you're 'signed'. Just really get a good idea on how they handle their roster of artists by asking their artists how things went.
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
NotApplicable (03-29-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:07 AM   #5
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
Philadephia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Research the label, contact their artists and ask them what they got out of the deals they made, look for their promo trail on the internet i.e. where and how they are advertising. Is it going to benefit you in the long run? Will t hey promo your album for a week and then fuck off to some other artist? Are they doing banner ads in high traffic sites?

I've been there before. They like to talk up their game but some labels often don't deliver and you could probably just dive in yourself, spend some actual money and hire a marketing firm and take out ads yourself and do just as well as if you're 'signed'. Just really get a good idea on how they handle their roster of artists by asking their artists how things went.
Finally someone gets it! a friend of mine blindly signed to a label and now she had to change her stage name and all of her hard work was literally stolen from her and i remember asking her if she wanted to do it herself and she felt that if she was signed on that label everything would be done for her. But now they just did a sync license for some film and she is getting literally nothing from it and that same movie was making like millions. (my facts may be incorrect, this story was from a friend of hers)
Old 03-20-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
¯\(°_o)/¯
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,320 Times in 1,831 Posts

what independent UK label? just tell us and we'll tell you if it's worth it. we know labels. also why would you put "huge" in quotes? does that imply you actually researched their output and you don't care for it? if you don't like what they do why would you even consider them or ask us if it's worth it?

at this point you're whYDMfing. it's like vaguebooking, except it's when you post some question where we all think "uh, for a guy who acts like he knows a lot of shit, this is a really hackneyed question in the year 2017."

and your "friend" (or "a friend of hers" lmao get yourself together dude) is a straight up fucking idiot for blindly signing anything. curious as to what movie she made music for?

if she went through all of the legitimate industry channels this shouldn't happen. so far your projections have tons of holes that make your inquiries difficult to answer.

------------------
banewaker.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
A few months back I noted this place was taking a turn for a worse, too much 4Chan and not enough Autechre.
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:06 AM   #7
aktiveight
Minor Glitch
Philadephia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelium View Post
what independent UK label? just tell us and we'll tell you if it's worth it. we know labels. also why would you put "huge" in quotes? does that imply you actually researched their output and you don't care for it? if you don't like what they do why would you even consider them or ask us if it's worth it?

at this point you're whYDMfing. it's like vaguebooking, except it's when you post some question where we all think "uh, for a guy who acts like he knows a lot of shit, this is a really hackneyed question in the year 2017."

and your "friend" (or "a friend of hers" lmao get yourself together dude) is a straight up fucking idiot for blindly signing anything. curious as to what movie she made music for?

if she went through all of the legitimate industry channels this shouldn't happen. so far your projections have tons of holes that make your inquiries difficult to answer.
The Label i was offered to with "huge" support was a small record label called Strange Smoke Records. I did my research on them and they looked real small and I felt like they were just trying to oversell themselves to convince me.

my "friend" lost connection with me after we graduated high school (same class, same school, you get the deal) and her friend that told me the story supported my music when i first started. the film that her song was in was an independant film and i just re-contacted her about the title and she hasn't responded back.

Like i said earlier about my friend, that story was passed down to me from another friend so the full story isn't from the original source, so i apologize if my post has some holes
Old 03-21-2017, 04:15 AM   #8
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 148360
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,786 Posts

HOLES?!?!

There's only one big huge gaping hole here. Plug it. It is leaking.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
Parricide (03-24-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:50 AM   #9
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23960

I think you've answered your own question here. Labels are a simple case of 'show me the money' for both parties. If neither can produce tangible goods that the other wants, walk on by.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #10
Macspider
Granular Poster
Macspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really nice
Vienna
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
I think you've answered your own question here. Labels are a simple case of 'show me the money' for both parties. If neither can produce tangible goods that the other wants, walk on by.
That couldn't have been more true!

I myself run a very small label but we do everything in free download and for free, we're more like an artists collective than a label, put it this way. Signing to a label which sells music is worth it only if the label can make you a professional musician and let you live out of music. Otherwise... nope

------------------
Macspider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Macspider
NotApplicable (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 04:30 PM   #11
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Pretty much this. I feel like the things a label could get me personally I absolutely probably couldn't get on my own are or would be fairly difficult: funding to print proper physical media; access to gigs; a dedicated marketing person who knows what they are doing. And at the end of the day *really* the only thing I don't have and can't get is cash. I could probably get a local gig and I know have friends in the advertising business that could probably point me in the right direction.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are old enough that friends are starting to have careers in various fields it usually doesn't take all six degrees of Kevin Bacon to get to someone who might be willing to give some time/effort to help your cause. My friends have always been pretty cool about hooking me up with people that can help me, even if its a 10 minute phone conversation.

I didn't read the whole thread, just skimmed, so I don't think this is just some vaporous netlabel, if that were the case I'd say no point in signing unless you just want to say you've been signed.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:15 PM   #12
NotApplicable
Microknight
NotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond reputeNotApplicable has a reputation beyond repute
MA
MC Status: 2710

I started a netlabel as an off-shoot from my mobile DJing. I give everything I make for free. I don't even want to deal with the possibility that there would be money involved.

------------------
NotApplicable is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to NotApplicable
PROton42 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 07:35 PM   #13
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744011191
Thanked 6,875 Times in 4,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotApplicable View Post
I started a netlabel as an off-shoot from my mobile DJing. I give everything I make for free. I don't even want to deal with the possibility that there would be money involved.
See to me that's just foolish.
Always add a "pay what you want" option.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 07:56 PM   #14
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts

My philosophy regarding labels, advertising, exposure and profit is the most bizarre mix of both what Lolirl said and also what Not Applicable said.

Response to the OP is that you will have to make that decision (is it worth it?) as you come to it, and read various labels' terms. No contract is ever really worth it, a contract is not a reward or a prize as much as EDM (energy drink) marketers will want us to think it's a golden egg scenario. (Re: Burn Residency)

I wouldn't have a problem signing to a label if the large quantities of both robots and small amount of actual human beings who support these labels even wanted to hear anything individual or unique. So it's like what, I'm gonna expose myself to a culture of shame who wants nothing to do with my music in the "hopes" that it will turn around and serve me? No, these people don't serve you, you serve them, and that is most visible in the signing of a contract.

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to PROton42
NotApplicable (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 01:57 PM   #15
Macspider
Granular Poster
Macspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really niceMacspider is just really nice
Vienna
MC Status: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
My philosophy regarding labels, advertising, exposure and profit is the most bizarre mix of both what Lolirl said and also what Not Applicable said.

Response to the OP is that you will have to make that decision (is it worth it?) as you come to it, and read various labels' terms. No contract is ever really worth it, a contract is not a reward or a prize as much as EDM (energy drink) marketers will want us to think it's a golden egg scenario. (Re: Burn Residency)

I wouldn't have a problem signing to a label if the large quantities of both robots and small amount of actual human beings who support these labels even wanted to hear anything individual or unique. So it's like what, I'm gonna expose myself to a culture of shame who wants nothing to do with my music in the "hopes" that it will turn around and serve me? No, these people don't serve you, you serve them, and that is most visible in the signing of a contract.
"Unless you make a shitload of money", I would add to this. But in principle, I agree on the whole line.

------------------
Macspider is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Macspider
NotApplicable (03-23-2017)
Old 03-23-2017, 04:08 AM   #16
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939281
Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,547 Posts

The whole making money thing can be a positive thing if you're putting those fund back into the project- be it a label or your music. I see people here putting emphasis on doing things for free and that's all well and good, if you are trying to just "be" and have fun doing it that's great, I support that fully. But someone like me, I work with bands and sometimes they need things I have to ask money for. For my own musical endeavors, I buy gear and having some spare scratch from mixing/mastering/someone buying one of my albums online is definitely a nice thing.

For example...I'm curently mixing a band's 2nd album and their singer decided he wanted to sing like a bird on most of it. He's not the most talented singer in the world so i decied to help him out by using Melodyne. Melodyne costs money. i don't use Melodyne on my own music, so i asked them to pay for Melodyne. Win-win, imo. They know what the money is being used for and i get to fix his not-so-great- vocals...and if they want me to mix a 3rd album, I've got this Melodyne thing now in case he shits up the vocal tracks again. So the funds I make, which isn't a lot (so far about $1,000 this year), will mostly go back to music in some way. I just spent a couple hundred on some drum stuff to be the session drummer on that very same album. Cyclical, man! It's all cyclical.
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 07:29 AM   #17
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 6160

One of my buddies just got signed. It's not what it used to be. I think they are just happy someone is paying for vinyl pressing. That being said, they still had to have their lawyer remove a tonne of shit from the contract.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:44 AM   #18
FATE ÆFFECT
Minor Glitch
FATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant futureFATE ÆFFECT has a brilliant future
Toronto/Melbourne
MC Status: 1599

All the money my label makes go into mastering, events or back to the artist. We are small, underground and independent and I wish we made more money... We work for and with artists because we are producers and we dig beats and it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's good to have a crew to help each other out and get our stuff out there. That being said we also encourage people on our own label to shoot their material to bigger labels, worth a try aye. I think a good label should be more like a collective than anything else.
The industry is full of snakes, just be aware of it.
I guess you have to weigh up a list of why you want to join a label and what you want as an artist, for you and your material.
>> is it to make more money? / financially independent?
>>> get more gigs?
>>>> sex?
>>>>> ego?
>>>>>> creative satisfaction?
>>>>>>> further your creative endeavours?
>>>>>>>> make mum proud?
>>>>>>>>> settle a bet?
>>>>>>>>>> better access to manipulate and subvert the masses?

...fuck too much coffee

------------------
SLICE RECORDS - UNDERGROUND ELECTRONIC MUSIC RECORD LABEL
Website | Bandcamp | Facebook
FATE ÆFFECT is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #19
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 23960

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
One of my buddies just got signed. It's not what it used to be. I think they are just happy someone is paying for vinyl pressing. That being said, they still had to have their lawyer remove a tonne of shit from the contract.
Yeah, I think that's pretty much the situation. In the days of yore (pre-internet), labels gave you access to things that you couldn't get on your own - producers, serious studios, managers, distribution, etc. Until around the millennium it was pretty impossible to 'make it big' without signing to a label. There was no middle ground between signed and unsigned unless you counted underground labels, and those would only make you famous for people in that scene but it wouldn't pay the bills.

Many of the things that labels used to give you exclusive access to have been circumvented by the internet. I can get online and book gigs and sell my music and promote my band and even record a great sounding album without putting on pants. If you have dreams of seeing your CD for sale at Best Buy or whatever you probably still need a major label. But if you want to make music and get it to people that appreciate it, you can at least start down the road without signing anything.

All that is to say, it's really about what else a label can bring to the table for an artist because there's a lot of that shit I can do laying in bed. They need to do it better or have access to things I don't to make me sit up and take notice.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #20
Detroit-Berlin
Minor Glitch
Detroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of lightDetroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of lightDetroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of lightDetroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of lightDetroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of lightDetroit-Berlin is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATE ÆFFECT View Post
All the money my label makes go into mastering, events or back to the artist. We are small, underground and independent and I wish we made more money... We work for and with artists because we are producers and we dig beats and it's a hell of a lot of fun. It's good to have a crew to help each other out and get our stuff out there. That being said we also encourage people on our own label to shoot their material to bigger labels, worth a try aye. I think a good label should be more like a collective than anything else.
The industry is full of snakes, just be aware of it.
I guess you have to weigh up a list of why you want to join a label and what you want as an artist, for you and your material.
>> is it to make more money? / financially independent?
>>> get more gigs?
>>>> sex?
>>>>> ego?
>>>>>> creative satisfaction?
>>>>>>> further your creative endeavours?
>>>>>>>> make mum proud?
>>>>>>>>> settle a bet?
>>>>>>>>>> better access to manipulate and subvert the masses?

...fuck too much coffee
You took the words out of my mouth, exactly what I think, at least when it's about small labels.
It's an exchange of trust, passion for the music and more a kind of collaboration than it is a straightforward business deal.

When I sign new producers I look for potential and I will give feedback plus exchange know-how so the artist's skills improve. I'll put a lot of time in doing this but I think a good bond in the artist-label relationship is very important. Then there's also the cost of mastering, artwork, marketing,...

When the intentions and effort of a small label are good I think it's beneficial for an artist to get signed (if he's not established yet).
Save

Advertisements

Detroit-Berlin is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Is signing to a label worth it? Tags
labels, music, record