[chill] envelope 3 - Edge of a Cliff
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Give some feedback, get some in return. (Must be a member for 7 days before posting threads, and 30 posts minimum in other areas of the forum.) Keep this forum free of spam! This is for you, the artists.

Old 19-03-2017, 06:13 AM   #1
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 6460
[chill] envelope 3 - Edge of a Cliff

So this is a reworked version of something that's been kicking around for a while. Being mentioned in the worst music ever thread, I figured I should put something out there for your listening pleasure.

Last edited by A.M; 19-03-2017 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: title fixed

Advertisements

envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [chill] envelope 3 - Edge of a Cliff.
Old 19-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010
Re: [chill] Edge of a Cliff

That was absolutely the worst music for power lifting/beating people up/racing muscle cars. 1/10, wouldn't quarter mile to again.

The guitar is so very nice. I'd love to know details and how it was recorded. I was a little thrown when the heavily panned drums showed up around 1:45 but it really built nicely into good movement. The little extra synth stuff is just icing on the cake. My only complaint is when the distorted lead comes in around 4:20. It honestly sounded a bit too 'Edge meets Adult Contemporary' for my taste and maybe goes on a bit long or is a bit self-indulgent. I guess I would have liked a more unique crescendo, maybe something with percussion or synths.

Overall a really nice track and the mixing was spot on. Definitely a solid relaxation track.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
That was absolutely the worst music for power lifting/beating people up/racing muscle cars. 1/10, wouldn't quarter mile to again.

The guitar is so very nice. I'd love to know details and how it was recorded. I was a little thrown when the heavily panned drums showed up around 1:45 but it really built nicely into good movement. The little extra synth stuff is just icing on the cake. My only complaint is when the distorted lead comes in around 4:20. It honestly sounded a bit too 'Edge meets Adult Contemporary' for my taste and maybe goes on a bit long or is a bit self-indulgent. I guess I would have liked a more unique crescendo, maybe something with percussion or synths.

Overall a really nice track and the mixing was spot on. Definitely a solid relaxation track.
Yeah I hear you on the guitar at the end. I was thinking that, then some friends said they liked it. Thanks for the input!
Old 19-03-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
Chaotix
Savage Mad Cunt
Chaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MCChaotix is a savage MC
Vancouver
MC Status: 752650
Re: [chill] envelope 3 - Edge of a Cliff

Really dug this man, great little piece you put together. Not too keen on that sound at 2:36, i don't really think it fits with the song, but that could just be personal taste haha.

------------------
Chaotix is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post

The guitar is so very nice. I'd love to know details and how it was recorded.
The guitar was actually recorded pretty simple. Just an sm58 in front of a fender Princeton reverb on 2. Reverb was a Strymon big sky in front of the amp. Guitar was I think my Les Paul.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 21-03-2017, 11:36 PM   #6
Artificer
Master of the LFO
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 26010

Sweet, sweet Fender tone. That Big Sky really delivers the 'verb. Simple as it is, it's a wonderful tone that blends well with the background. Nice mixing there as well.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2017, 11:48 PM   #7
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Thanks!
I recently just acquired a lexicon pcm 80 that I think has an even more glorious verb. Shocking because it's an older piece of digital gear. Hopefully I'll get a track together with it soon.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 22-04-2017, 08:39 PM   #8
20luggi07
Regular Freak
20luggi07 will become famous soon enough
Innsbruck
MC Status: 60

Nice song. The feeling I get is a bit happy/melancholic...

I don`t like the phaser/chorus at 2:34 on the snare (itīs a matter of taste ofc and only a little thing). The guitar is very sweet. As said in the comments below --> itīs recorded very well. The feeling is the same when I listen to bullitnuts- heavy air..

The guitar at 4:28 doesnīt have to be there (for me personal...), because it makes the song so extremly emotional and intense -->Itīs like a mixture of two different feelings in the song.

All in all well played and recorded.
20luggi07 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #9
Morgen
Savage Mad Cunt
Morgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MCMorgen is a savage MC
Kiel at the Baltic Sea
MC Status: 51237756

Make an album and (not unlikely) get a record deal at a label like [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Only the beat feels redundant, doesn't add musical value. There's already enough rhythm in the guitar and the bassline to make the head nod. It's musically just uneconomical to add a drummer far in the background for basically only a metronome - especially as it isn't intended to be club banger.

------------------
www.soundcloud.com/morgenwurde
www.soundcloud.com/coccus

My new album Assassinous Act, a soundtrack for a fictitious thriller:
http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=147294
Morgen is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #10
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Thanks for the comments. I really appreciate feedback!

Regarding drums. It's something I struggle with to make good. I'm not into using loops. I want to do it myself and I feel like a total noob in executing it.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #11
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I really like this track. Reminds me a bit of Tycho

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 03:13 AM   #12
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
ottawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
I really like this track. Reminds me a bit of Tycho
Thanks. I really like Tycho a lot. Well I loved past is prologue and dive. I like his use of guitars in electronic music.
Old 08-05-2017, 02:50 AM   #13
Indigo
Soundscaper
Indigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the roughIndigo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by envelope3 View Post
Thanks. I really like Tycho a lot. Well I loved past is prologue and dive. I like his use of guitars in electronic music.
Same All of what you said.

------------------
Indigo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:47 PM   #14
Allen Awali
Learning The Ropes
Allen Awali is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I really like the mix down on this track, definitely something different.

Advertisements

Allen Awali is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote