K712's do not translate: Whats better? DT880's?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 03-04-2017, 07:47 AM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66546
K712's do not translate: Whats better? DT880's?

I do EVERYTHING on headphones, obviously if I could, I would use monitors as I know they are more suitable. But after having the K702/K712's for 5 years I've decided they make everything sound too good - meaning they do not translate well or allow you to mix properly. My mixes tend to sound too bassy since they are indeed open back. I understand the logic; if I have open backs I will hear a more accurate representation of bass as opposed to closed-backs where there is too much bass - which translates into having not-as-much-bass. The other question I had was is there an open back headphone that has more bass than the k712's that may translate better, and that doesn't sound overly scooped in the mid-highs to highs? They are very pleasant headphones to listen to and I think they are great as a second pair of headphones to check mixes, but not a primary

But if not I am thinking my next journey in headphones is the DT880's, because they are SEMI open, I have hopes that they will be right in the middle (I also have the DT770's but 32 ohms (which I think I should get 250's))

What are you guys experience, and is there a pair of headphones you find really translate accurately? I don't like sonarworks headphone calibration plugin or anything similar so that is out of the question.

Edit: also I have the 02+odac combo. Will they drive whatever headphone you suggest or is there something better?

Last edited by Dhji; 03-04-2017 at 08:00 AM..

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:32 AM   #2
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13210
Re: K712's do not translate: Whats better? DT880's?

I've been using the Hifiman HE-400i for a few months now. They're open back, but they're also planar magnetic, which means they don't have much of a bass roll off until you get down to 40 hz or so. They get compared a lot to the Sennheiser HD-600 in terms of being pretty neutral from top to bottom (though with the Hifiman having more bass). The Hifiman beat my Sennheiser HD 280s (which are my only closed headphones) in the bass department handily IMO. It's not any louder than they are, but it is so much clearer it more than justifies the slight loss in volume.

I think if you want to stick with headphones, you'll end up with the HD-600 eventually, or the HE-400i if you want to be a contrarian like me. They're both expensive ($300-$500 US, depending on if you catch them on sale or something, I've seen them dip into the $250 range, but that never lasts) and priced pretty near each other, so I'd compare those two and see what you think will work best for you. Either one will be fine through your O2.

You could also consider the older HE-400 from Hifiman, which you might have to pick up used, but are much cheaper (around $200?) these days. They had a bit more bass, but were not as 'clear' as the newer model.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8503480
Thanked 6,251 Times in 4,488 Posts
Re: K712's do not translate: Whats better? DT880's?

Or you know you could just turn the bass down in your mixes?

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
White Noise (03-04-2017)