Question about record labels today
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:21 PM   #1
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960
Question about record labels today

I've been back into music production 1.1.2016. when I quit my job as an accountant. Since then I've made several tunes, and for one of those (one in my signature) I'm looking for a record label.
I've been apsent from music for 7 years, before that I've signed around 5 tracks for 2 record labels.

Today 3.3.2016. I've sent over dozen of record companies my song, 4 of them answered right away, I'll copy paste their answers:

1.) Hi Mario, your tracks are very good, I'm interested in publishing them, you just have to send me the files in WAV format and create an image for the artwork or if you do not have it here ... thank you for keeping us in mind.

Best Regard

XXXXX

Label Manager XXXXX

2.) Greetings! We listened to your track "Amazed" and ready to release it! If you are ready to cooperate then fill the contract! (contact in an attachment which basicly says the same thing as guy before, send us wav file, make artwork myself, sign contact and thats it)

Label 3 and 4 answered in similar fasion.

Now, here is whats buzzing me.
7 years ago, I've signed 5 tracks, each of those tracks record label mastered my tracks and did artwork. Proces looked much longer and serious. One record lable even made a music video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAak6VY4rio&t=36s

Am I missing something here. Are things done like this in 2017. ? Did they all stop caring about perfect mix, about artists, or these are just "smaller" labels and they do business like this. Does anyone have expirience with singing tracks today?

Thank you.

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: Question about record labels today

Not sure what you're asking. Are they smaller labels? If so, of course they'd be willing to accept just about anything. 7 Years ago I was listening to WARP, WARP still exists so... Nothing has changed in that respect.

Absolutely it all depends on the labels you're finding and what they perceive their standard to be. It's not as if there is "one way" to do things. If anything there are millions of combinations of ways to get the same result.

Uhhh, congratulations though???????

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 PM   #3
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts

I guess anyone with an email address and a website can be a "record label." Why do you want to have a track on these "labels?" What's in it for you?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:57 PM   #4
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oatbag View Post
I guess anyone with an email address and a website can be a "record label." Why do you want to have a track on these "labels?" What's in it for you?
Promotion, little bit of money perhaps. Why not?

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 108050
Thanked 2,135 Times in 1,388 Posts

What I was getting at is - watch out for crap "labels" that don't do anything useful for you at all. They just want you to send them a wav? A contract is as much to protect you as it is for them. You did the work of making the song - what do they bring to the table?

E.g. if Warp (as mentioned by broton) was asking for your songs - the answer would be hell yes! But if it's just Johnny's Mom's Basement Records.... with 100 youtube views and a shit beatport "label" - then is it worth it?

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
PROton42 (04-03-2017)