Linux DAW?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 03-03-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
JD1112
Knob Twiddler
JD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to behold
Bristol, TN
MC Status: 660
Linux DAW?

Long story short I spilled a drink on my windows laptop and it's trashed. I have another laptop running linux has anyone had any success or suggestions too hold me over until i can afford to replace it?

Advertisements

------------------

Sometimes, when I get bored, I grab a few beers and surf missed connections on craigslist to see if the waitress at Perkins knows if i'm creeping on her yet.
JD1112 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: TJANI - Pad Thai (feat. Gracie)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:22 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 164110
Thanked 3,282 Times in 2,449 Posts
Re: Linux DAW?

There's a few threads on here that focus on working with Linux..you'll find most of them listed in the following thread I'm linking you to here - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There's very possibly others, but these should be enough to help you find what you're looking for..but if not, then just hit the search feature on here yourself.The main issue I have personally when it comes to using Linux for producing, is that I'm heavily invested in Windows-based VSTs..meaning I've paid for them..and most still have yet to offer a crossover version of their products. I know you can get some really goods Linux-based stuff out there, but my experience has always been that there's this very real difference between making music with LInux and making it with Windows..one feel like you're driving a brand new car..while the other feels like you're having to build a basic go-cart yourself.

I'm just waiting for the time when Linux feels like you're driving a car..which will come in time..it has to. Until then, I can do without having to patch shit together..running buggy WINE that may or may not work..and trying to find Linux synths and software that comes close to what I've already paid for..in both sound quality and performance.

All of that is just personal stuff I'm dumping out here..but if YOU are totally bent on going down the Linux route, then I suggest you give the Linux Mint Mate distro a try, as it's pretty close to Windows in looks, as well as being one of the most stable versions out there. You can grab it directly from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
JD1112 (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 10:44 PM   #3
JD1112
Knob Twiddler
JD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to beholdJD1112 is a splendid one to behold
Bristol, TN
MC Status: 660

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
There's a few threads on here that focus on working with Linux..you'll find most of them listed in the following thread I'm linking you to here - [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

There's very possibly others, but these should be enough to help you find what you're looking for..but if not, then just hit the search feature on here yourself.The main issue I have personally when it comes to using Linux for producing, is that I'm heavily invested in Windows-based VSTs..meaning I've paid for them..and most still have yet to offer a crossover version of their products. I know you can get some really goods Linux-based stuff out there, but my experience has always been that there's this very real difference between making music with LInux and making it with Windows..one feel like you're driving a brand new car..while the other feels like you're having to build a basic go-cart yourself.

I'm just waiting for the time when Linux feels like you're driving a car..which will come in time..it has to. Until then, I can do without having to patch shit together..running buggy WINE that may or may not work..and trying to find Linux synths and software that comes close to what I've already paid for..in both sound quality and performance.

All of that is just personal stuff I'm dumping out here..but if YOU are totally bent on going down the Linux route, then I suggest you give the Linux Mint Mate distro a try, as it's pretty close to Windows in looks, as well as being one of the most stable versions out there. You can grab it directly from [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
Cheers

------------------

Sometimes, when I get bored, I grab a few beers and surf missed connections on craigslist to see if the waitress at Perkins knows if i'm creeping on her yet.
JD1112 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 05:08 AM   #4
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18023919

mostly what A.M said, but also bitwig is on linux if you want to try that out. i have no experience with it past its pre release days though so cant offer an opinion

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Parricide
Psychotronic (08-03-2017)
Old 08-03-2017, 03:23 PM   #5
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18397

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
bitwig!

Advertisements

------------------
(シ)// Reject all ambition to center yourself and find intuition. >> Homepage
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote