How to do vocal tuning properly? (changing the notes in false singing)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:20 PM   #1
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2910
How to do vocal tuning properly? (changing the notes in false singing)

I'm sorry if my title confuse you, my english is bad.

I have a problem. Right now I'm working on a track with a singer that can't get his notes right. And I want to fix his vocal. Is it possible to change notes in vocal without getting the distortion sometimes if fix is to hard. What program you guys use?

I use Waves tuneup and sometimes i get the distorted sounds.
Example:

1:59 - "...meeee..." Can you hear the distortion in sound? It's coz I've changed the note girl is singing. How not to get that distortion. Anyone know?

Advertisements

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36100
Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,711 Posts
Re: How to do vocal tuning properly? (changing the notes in false singing)

I actually quite like that effect.

I would say that there's no effect or technique you can do to a waveform that doesn't ultimately distort it in some way. If a vocalist is struggling with a note over multiple takes/sessions they may have to simply sing the note at a lower octave.

Is a simple waveform transposition giving you more or less distortion than "Waves tuneup"?

Would the vocalist rather have you applying effects as opposed to working out a strategy for a clean take?

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:35 PM   #3
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
I actually quite like that effect.

I would say that there's no effect or technique you can do to a waveform that doesn't ultimately distort it in some way. If a vocalist is struggling with a note over multiple takes/sessions they may have to simply sing the note at a lower octave.

Is a simple waveform transposition giving you more or less distortion than "Waves tuneup"?

Would the vocalist rather have you applying effects as opposed to working out a strategy for a clean take?
I can't make her sing right note. Yes Shethinks she is in tune. Don't really have patience to tell her 10 times to do it right..

------------------
Old 02-03-2017, 10:42 PM   #4
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC

Well if you can't defer to your vocalist's judgement I would recommend finding another vocalist.

------------------
Old 02-03-2017, 10:51 PM   #5
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
Well if you can't defer to your vocalist's judgement I would recommend finding another vocalist.
Exactly.. :notafinga:

------------------
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 PM   #6
PROton42
IDMf Artist

What I'm trying to say is: Working with other artists is about trust + communication, really. If you can't be honest with each other about what you're feeling musically and you can't connect @ some philosophical level then there's really no point to be working together. That's all there is to it.

------------------
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 PM   #7
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Croatia

Quote:
What I'm trying to say is: Working with other artists is about trust + communication, really. If you can't be honest with each other about what you're feeling musically and you can't connect @ some philosophical level then there's really no point to be working together. That's all there is to it.
I am telling her, I really don't like the endings of a phrases in a refrains, every phrase she went hard down. I'm telling her to stick to the last note, don't pull it down. Ok, we can pull it down twice, but not every phrase, every 4 tacts. She said that she really thinks it's the best and that she doesn't wanna change it basicly.

Really weird conversations. I'll give this track to my singer Julia, she is talent and a half.

But yea, I respect her opinion on things but she should respect producers opinion too. I'm working to make track better for both of us.

------------------
Old 03-03-2017, 12:15 AM   #8
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 18210

melodyne
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to joem
chasedobson (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 03:52 AM   #9
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941831
Thanked 5,673 Times in 3,575 Posts

Even the most boring uneventful singers think they have "it"

Why else would we have 35 seasons of American Idol...

Guy I'm working with right now has one part that he insists on hitting some weird note one step down from where he is at, and the guitar is playing a note that doesn't sit well with it. I tried moving it around and showing him a few different takes on it...nope. wants his first thing. FML

Advertisements

Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
PROton42 (03-03-2017)