[Electro / Breakbeat] We Sell Boxes - Comments Section
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-23-2017, 11:46 AM   #1
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC
MC Status: 3462105
[Electro / Breakbeat] We Sell Boxes - Comments Section

The starting point for this was done on the TR-8 and Analog Four. I'd been listening to a lot of Radioactive Man and Drexciya so was inspired to try some electro rather than the usual 4/4. There's a competition coming up at my local producers group so then decided to develop it beyond what would have been a hardware jam video.

Thanks for watching/listening if you have the time.

Advertisements

------------------
FTD is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: [Electro / Breakbeat] We Sell Boxes - Comments Section
Thanks to FTD
PROton42 (03-16-2017)
Rate this track - [Electro / Breakbeat] We Sell Boxes - Comments Section.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:04 AM   #2
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42351699
Thanked 4,354 Times in 2,848 Posts
Re: [Electro / Breakbeat] We Sell Boxes - Comments Section

I liked the beats. Even at 7 mins it didn't seem too long. Simple music that works with lots of nice FX one-shots filling it out. Good work

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:49 AM   #3
Toothpinch
Analog Lurker
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1760

That was excellent.
Much enjoyed, sounds professional.

------------------
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #4
FTD
Ghostly
FTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MCFTD is a savage MC

Hi, thank you both for listening and the nice comments. Cheers.

------------------
Old 03-05-2017, 01:22 AM   #5
ethanede
Radial Developer
ethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really niceethanede is just really nice
Portland, OR
MC Status: 410

That was great, deceptively simple and I watched the whole 6 minutes and I'm going to again to try to help me understand what you did there. You've got a enviable sensibility/restraint to keep things interesting with minimal instrumentation. I loved the video, too, so random yet it goes on perfectly to fit the song. Nice work.
ethanede is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
FTD
Ghostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanede View Post
That was great, deceptively simple and I watched the whole 6 minutes and I'm going to again to try to help me understand what you did there. You've got a enviable sensibility/restraint to keep things interesting with minimal instrumentation. I loved the video, too, so random yet it goes on perfectly to fit the song. Nice work.
Hi there. The track started off on hardware which I think forces you to work through things better rather than throw layers of VSTs around aimlessly. Something I've been more than guilty of and still am if I'm honest.

I've also been trying to analysis other "simple" tracks that work and follow a similar formula or structure. Restraint is my weakest point but something I'm probably trying to work on more than anything. The main question I keep asking myself is: do I really need another element, crash, FX or riser there or is this just the repetition of the production process and why it feels stale at this moment in time?

That said, "River Deep - Mountain High" was on the radio yesterday and as usual I was in awe of the whole Phil Spector, wall of sound thing. Not just the layers but there's a new element, bridge, call and response, whatever coming in on almost every four bars. Which left me thinking arse to restraint, lets go full out.

Anyway, thanks for checking it out and taking the time to feed back.

------------------
Old 03-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistModerator
Stercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MCStercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42351699
Thanked 4,354 Times in 2,848 Posts

Aye, as the saying goes, 'Simple isn't easy'. A lot of work can go in to making the right choices about what to include or leave out and each component chosen gets a lot more focus from the listener. I generally dislike minimal but like well-designed 'simple'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Restraint is my weakest point but something I'm probably trying to work on more than anything.
This I can relate to.

Last edited by Stercogburn; 03-17-2017 at 11:52 AM.. Reason: Grammar

------------------
This mind intentionally blank.
Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8507130
Thanked 6,324 Times in 4,541 Posts

I've recently discovered Drexciya and that brand of Electro. Been quite an influence on me recently. Really enjoyed this.

I started to think that maybe this could have used some more elements sprinkled here and there...but I don't think so. The balance is good, just as I think a bit has gone on too long there is a change up or some ear candy.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:01 PM   #9
PROton42
IDMf Artist
PROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MCPROton42 is a savage MC
MC Status: 36050
Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,710 Posts

Probably one of the most well produced things I've heard here in a while (the video ain't half bad either). I'm interested if you release CD's of this stuff, I'm looking!

(it's horrible I've spent the last 10 minutes dragging my mouse over the releases section on your website, mesmerised by how readily the css overlay box follows + swipes along with the mouse)

Last edited by PROton42; 03-16-2017 at 10:50 PM..

------------------
PROton42 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:38 AM   #10
FTD
Ghostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I've recently discovered Drexciya and that brand of Electro. Been quite an influence on me recently. Really enjoyed this.
If you want to go further back check out Model 500 which was the natural precursor to Drexciya. And definitely check out the first Radioactive Man LP and his Boiler Room set if you don't know him too.

And thanks for listening.

------------------
Old 03-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #11
FTD
Ghostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROton42 View Post
Probably one of the most well produced things I've heard here in a while (the video ain't half bad either). I'm interested if you release CD's of this stuff, I'm looking!
Thank you very much I tend just to put stuff on Soundcloud when it's finished, certainly don't think about releasing CDs. In the future I might start sending demos to labels but I need to up my work rate first.

------------------
Old 03-20-2017, 03:45 PM   #12
Goski
Regular Freak
Goski is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

As a rhythm guy I really like the small variations of the drums. For 7 minutes it didn't feel that long at all Well done!
Goski is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:41 AM   #13
ATvrB
Minor Glitch
ATvrB is on a distinguished road
Living in Denmark
MC Status: 10

Loving the atmosphere of the track and minimalistic progressions, definitely two strong points.

Some automations, filters, funny fx could spice up the track

Gooood
ATvrB is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:16 PM   #14
strangerflesh
Microknight
strangerflesh has a spectacular aura aboutstrangerflesh has a spectacular aura aboutstrangerflesh has a spectacular aura about
Winnipeg
MC Status: 210

aw yis! super cool track here. Really well balanced and the drum and bass line work so nice together. Great job, I also like the video, looks like a lot of work.

------------------
strangerflesh is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
dada_davros
IDMf Supporter
dada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond reputedada_davros has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8360

great track and my favorite artist name I've come across in a long time

------------------
dada_davros is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #16
FTD
Ghostly

Thank you all and [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, yeah a lot of bloody micro-editing. I kinda wished I hadn't bothered a few times when halfway through.

------------------
Old 04-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #17
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 21210

Can't really offer any real critique other than what has already been said. Cool track I liked the simple yet catchy vibe!

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote