[toy beats/symphonic'ish] Ingemann-Strunch - Dandy Dribblin Do
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Listening Booth YOUR MUSIC ONLY. Don't post music from your label or DJ night. No podcasts or radio shows, just individual tracks. Give some feedback, get some in return. Please follow the title format: [Genre] Artist - Title

Old 21-02-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand
MC Status: 101163691
Thanked 1,418 Times in 1,047 Posts
[toy beats/symphonic'ish] Ingemann-Strunch - Dandy Dribblin Do

How does the mix drop in your end? Aaaand what are you listening on.

Edit: new version

Last edited by Thomas; 23-02-2017 at 09:19 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Thomas is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [toy beats/symphonic'ish] Ingemann-Strunch - Dandy Dribblin Do.
Old 21-02-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Lexakong
Analog Lurker
Lexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MC
MC Status: 38913
Re: [toy beats/symphonic'ish] Ingemann-Strunch - Dandy Dribblin Do

To my novice ears the brass and the strings in the intro sound nice, clean, and powerful. Oddly enough when the part with drums comes in it feels like it loses a bit of power/energy because the cleanliness of the mix just isn't there anymore. The drums sound a bit buried and I think I think that's the biggest issue.

I'm now at the breakdown part and the strings are really powerful / clean sounding again - but once added back in with other elements everything doesn't have the same clarity making it a bit of an odd contrast.

This is all just my initial reaction on first listen, I hope it's helpful!

I'm listening on Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Lexakong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 08:08 PM   #3
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
Thomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MCThomas is a savage MC
South Central Sealand

Yes, the drums are trebl'y, so they dive into the string/brass mix.. I might look a bit into my limiter to see if I can avoid the dives better. I'm hardly gonna EQ anything now at least. Cheers!

------------------
Old 21-02-2017, 08:24 PM   #4
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

There, I fixed the dives.. The drums are still fairly subtle.. But this is what I want of this mix tho..

------------------
Old 21-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #5
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42379599
Thanked 4,912 Times in 3,209 Posts

Listen 1:

Love the rhythm. Brass teeny bit loud and rumbles slightly. Hats more to the right than I'd prefer.

Listen 2/3:

Very minor notice: the bass-ish brass always has a slow attack. When the rhythms are playing it might benefit from a shorter/faster attack, maybe a teeny bit of transient shaping if the source doesn't allow it.

All the above are *minor* things, I had to go looking. Cool track

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #6
Lexakong
Analog Lurker
Lexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MCLexakong is a savage MC
MC Status: 38913

Oh man... I got so caught up in providing mix criticism because that's what you asked for I forgot to mention that I think it's a really cool track! Keep up the good work.
Lexakong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Thanks to both of you!

I have updated the track per everything you both said, so and so, now I won't spam hearthis anymore with new uploads, unless I discover something critical tomorrow or something. Cheers and thx again guys.

OP also updated.

------------------
Old 22-02-2017, 04:10 AM   #8
Beid
Microknight
Beid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

I"m listenin on a shitty pair of first class airline headphones, the best you could hope for in your customers. Let me know if you'd like my opinion.
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 11:03 AM   #9
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

None of my customers fly first class, because I don't sell music. But I once made an album for you called Music for Pathetic Speakers, like 15 years ago. Hell, I also made another more rare one, called Music for Pseudo-funny Discount Trolling Idiots - might be more befitting. Dunno.

Edit: But you're actually welcome to measure it against other tracks with those airline headphones, and then you can tell me if something sticks out.

Last edited by Thomas; 22-02-2017 at 11:09 AM..

------------------
Old 22-02-2017, 05:14 PM   #10
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1832777

Hey Thomas. Listening through and its a well composed track.
Listening on my system it sounds as though its missing weight to the mix ie' lower end and bass of some sort. However maybe thats how you like it

Apart from that nice musical soundtrack.

Last edited by MFXxx; 22-02-2017 at 05:30 PM..

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2017, 07:58 PM   #11
Beid
Microknight
Beid is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

First class headphones are better than second class, and I am a posh piece of work also no worries. Perhaps I am having a crack. That is really terrible about your tunes from 15 years ago, I don't remember those tunes. In fact, a wall of speakers fell on me, after being reassembled and reconstructed, it was found out I have no memories.

All I know is a wall of speakers fell on m3. I like this tune, with shitty headphones, I like it. When I turned on the ceiling, my bottom end was moving. Nice work Thomas, I'm a troll who lives under a bridge. No shit, good stuff sorry I'm a difficult bob
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2017, 05:28 PM   #12
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Hey Thomas. Listening through and its a well composed track.
Listening on my system it sounds as though its missing weight to the mix ie' lower end and bass of some sort. However maybe thats how you like it

Apart from that nice musical soundtrack.
It actually had a deeper bass to begin with, but I did a bit of EQing on it since stercogburn called it a "rumble". I don't know what he listened on tho. I guess it would be quite dramatic in a gaming headset or something(?) Well, I take it that he meant the brass as it played along side the slap bass. So I turned down some of the deeper frequencies on that bass to better suit all parts. Maybe I'll end up more uhm... halfways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beid View Post
First class headphones are better than second class, and I am a posh piece of work also no worries. Perhaps I am having a crack. That is really terrible about your tunes from 15 years ago, I don't remember those tunes. In fact, a wall of speakers fell on me, after being reassembled and reconstructed, it was found out I have no memories.

All I know is a wall of speakers fell on m3. I like this tune, with shitty headphones, I like it. When I turned on the ceiling, my bottom end was moving. Nice work Thomas, I'm a troll who lives under a bridge. No shit, good stuff sorry I'm a difficult bob
Hehe, I think I misunderstood you before, but I don't know, you are a bit of a difficult bob to a Dane like this llama one at least. But I'm glad you liked the track in any case.

------------------
Old 23-02-2017, 08:31 PM   #13
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
It actually had a deeper bass to begin with, but I did a bit of EQing on it since stercogburn called it a "rumble". I don't know what he listened on tho. I guess it would be quite dramatic in a gaming headset or something(?) Well, I take it that he meant the brass as it played along side the slap bass. So I turned down some of the deeper frequencies on that bass to better suit all parts. Maybe I'll end up more uhm... halfways.
I audition on a pair of Adam A7X's and used to the tone in the listening environment.
It would probably sound fine via headphones but to be honest, it sounds as though you've rolled too much eq of the bottom end of some of the separate parts.
Maybe pop one of the free frequency analyzers on each stem to see whats happening.
The brass at the beginning sounds fine so I dont think that the problem.
The Hi end of the strings are nice, maybe pull down the 15K+ a little.
The guitar riff sounds very mid range and lost some low end there, but this maybe artist input rather than mixing.
The kick and drums are definately missing some low end for my taste.
To be honest I am surprised as you have always created excellent sounding mixes.
It is a case you are testing feedback on what people are listening to this on, or trying out your mastering buss...Im not sure.

Bottom line the guitar riff is too mid upper range and drums require a little more low end reintroduced to my ears and listening environment.

After the main intro and where the guitar riff and drums come in you have a drop out in the 100hz range and above the 19-20K.
Overall it sounds very good.
I've had a very very quick re-eq nothing flash and included some snap shots for you.
Hope you dont mind. All very rough and by no means a mastering genius here. Just experimenting on the fly for 10 mins and 3 cycles of listening.
Hopefully not to boxy, maybe 200 -300 could be reduced a little?

Pre Eq
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Post Eq

EQ adjustments

(Sorry dont know how to embedd photos from gmail photos.)

The end result

Last edited by MFXxx; 23-02-2017 at 08:48 PM..

------------------
Old 23-02-2017, 09:06 PM   #14
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
I audition on a pair of Adam A7X's and used to the tone in the listening environment.
It would probably sound fine via headphones but to be honest, it sounds as though you've rolled too much eq of the bottom end of some of the separate parts.
Maybe pop one of the free frequency analyzers on each stem to see whats happening.
The brass at the beginning sounds fine so I dont think that the problem.
The Hi end of the strings are nice, maybe pull down the 15K+ a little.
The guitar riff sounds very mid range and lost some low end there, but this maybe artist input rather than mixing.
The kick and drums are definately missing some low end for my taste.
To be honest I am surprised as you have always created excellent sounding mixes.
It is a case you are testing feedback on what people are listening to this on, or trying out your mastering buss...Im not sure.

Bottom line the guitar riff is too mid upper range and drums require a little more low end reintroduced to my ears and listening environment.

After the main intro and where the guitar riff and drums come in you have a drop out in the 100hz range and above the 19-20K.
Overall it sounds very good.
I've had a very very quick re-eq nothing flash and included some snap shots for you.
Hope you dont mind. All very rough and by no means a mastering genius here. Just experimenting on the fly for 10 mins and 3 cycles of listening.
Hopefully not to boxy, maybe 200 -300 could be reduced a little?

Pre Eq

Post Eq

EQ adjustments

(Sorry dont know how to embedd photos from gmail photos.)

The end result

What a great effort, MFXxx. But I must say that it's - in this case - a lot cleaner and easier to just remove the EQ that created the EQ slopes you found. Instead of trying to insert something that wasn't there, you know.
And I have, as I said I would in my last post. But instead of halfing the EQ as I said tho, then I removed it all together and turned the delay (which caused a minor rumble without an EQing) down a notch. Now there's no grand rumble but still a full bass.
Has a nice round more original sound now and I use HiFi Club Argon speakers, Sony cups in the more expensive end of the scale and Behringer Truth monitors. And I can also test on large floor speakers and various other cups if needed. But as you say, you get to know your gear over time, so if it sounds that way on this and that rig, then it most likely sounds like this and that on another rig and so forth. So I already know how it sounds on the floor speakers to a fair idea although I haven't heard it yet - it will probably rumble and shit a teeny bit, I guess... Hope

Cheers again, mate

Last edited by Thomas; 23-02-2017 at 09:19 PM..

------------------
Old 23-02-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

And great, fixing the bass, getting string dropouts.. I'll look into it.

EDIT: fixed

Last edited by Thomas; 23-02-2017 at 09:20 PM..

------------------
Old 24-02-2017, 01:33 AM   #16
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
My own little world

Sounds much better. Are you using flange on several parts or just the guitar part? Reason I say this is Im wondering if the wet mix is a little high? If yes try reducing it a little or pop it on a send for the part its on. The only thing that's niggling my ears.

Great work and I couldnt do any better regardless, just being hyper perfectionist

------------------
Old 24-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #17
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 6160

He Thomas,

As Roo said the deeper horns are really dragging, not sure if that is timing or attack. Maybe just the fact that they take so long (relatively) to fade in and out is exaggerating the point. I am listening on a pair of Jabra Evolv 80s, so very nicely isolated phones.
I don't know what you are using for the horns, but if you have the option of adding a legato/slide to the french horns/trumpets in a few transitions it would sound a touch more natural. You seem to have a lot of verb/room presence on the orchestral stuff but not so much on the drums, dunno if that is what you are going for, but thought I would mention that as it stands out to me. I am missing the low end overall on the bass. The general idea of your mix is refreshing and interesting to listed to.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
Thomas
Savage Mad Cunt
South Central Sealand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
He Thomas,

As Roo said the deeper horns are really dragging, not sure if that is timing or attack. Maybe just the fact that they take so long (relatively) to fade in and out is exaggerating the point. I am listening on a pair of Jabra Evolv 80s, so very nicely isolated phones.
I don't know what you are using for the horns, but if you have the option of adding a legato/slide to the french horns/trumpets in a few transitions it would sound a touch more natural. You seem to have a lot of verb/room presence on the orchestral stuff but not so much on the drums, dunno if that is what you are going for, but thought I would mention that as it stands out to me. I am missing the low end overall on the bass. The general idea of your mix is refreshing and interesting to listed to.
It's the price of the type of strings, you can't just move a chord onto legato, not in anything from miroslav to ewql at least. Then it will play the upper notes alone instead of the chords, and slide into each other - legato. There are other means of course, one is to camouflage with other instruments in legato on low attack, and another is simply to move them. A third is to make three legato instruments out of one chord. But moving them has to be done with super care, or it will sound funny. Cheers!

Advertisements

------------------