The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 02-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler
Bluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to beholdBluesh1ft is a splendid one to behold
In another world, usually
MC Status: 960
The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.

I find it hard to create a busy enough background without being too busy or the sound not complimenting the song. Sometimes I feel I need a pad, then try to whip one up and then feel it just doesn't go with the song or that it makes it too muddy. Then there is the more sound scape physics model.... absynth type of stuff with all the textures which is hard to create. Maybe I should try white noise more? Any advice?

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 AM   #2
White Noise
Digital Surfer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 11710
Re: The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.

When it comes to pads, I EQ and duck (sidechain) the hell out of them, and drench them in reverb and a nice thick phaser. In my stuff, the pad is pretty much non-existent when there's a lead, bass, drums, and maybe a rhythmic stab playing, but you can just hear it if you listen for it. When it really shines is during the breakdowns, as it carries the chord progression without any other instruments. I often write my songs as basic chord progressions on a pad before adding other instruments, so for me it's more an issue of making everything else fit the pad.

A note on sidechain, I have the kick do straight volume modulation of the pad, but most other instruments do frequency-dependent volume modulation using multi-band compression, other wise there would just be no pad during the full sections of the song.

The other way I know of to fill out a dry mix is to dial in some delays on a few instruments, maybe a layer or two of reverb (usually on an instrument by instrument basis) to thicken up the midrange. With delays, set it by ear, with reverb (on my setup, which is headphones), I set it by starting at the bottom and coming up until I can just hear it for the first layer, then taking it back. Turn it off and on to confirm it's doing something, then you can add a big fat hall or a plate if you want.

I set saturation/distortion on many instruments throughout a mix much the same way, and keep that part towards the beginning of my FX chain so that I can still EQ out any rumble the distortion might add or accentuate if it were after the filter.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
Bluesh1ft (02-20-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 04:24 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497530
Thanked 6,132 Times in 4,405 Posts
Re: The Fine Line Between Dry and Busy Sounding.

I think WhiteNoise covered things pretty well...but to ah...hehe...speak on white noise...

...Yea, I use U-he Stain usually on my 2bus, the drum bus, and maybe a few other places...like four instances per tune for saturation (sometimes an extra one for delay)...most of the settings I like involve some tape noise and it does seem to fill things out/make things sound a little more organic.

Advertisements

relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Bluesh1ft (02-20-2017)