I struggle to make *less* melodic music. Anyone else?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 02-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #1
Deep Dose
Eternal Echoer
Deep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MCDeep Dose is a savage MC
MC Status: 17683855
I struggle to make *less* melodic music. Anyone else?

I've been producing for about 6 years. I usually have a pretty good concept in my head of the vibe or style I'd like a track to have. Yet, too often when I'd like to make a "dancey" track, or one that's more driving and dark, I still end up gravitating toward a baseline with too many notes to be dancey, and a melody that's too...emo I guess. It still sounds good, so I sometimes keep it, but it's not the direction I intended.

It seems like a constant resistance to melody, and since most tracks that work on a dancefloor have very basic 2 or 3 note melodies and baselines, I end up with tracks that are better for listening than for dancing to.

Just curious if anyone else has this problem and how you might deal with it.

Advertisements

Deep Dose is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:31 PM   #2
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160
Re: I struggle to make *less* melodic music. Anyone else?

i know what your saying bro - try using bass patches that have lots of movement in them already..... think like the classic reese bass from DnB, its dead phasey and detune-y

same with the more modern bass styles, Bassline, Funky, dubstep all use huge bass patches...

what im trying to say is use a bass patch that cover A LOT of frequencies, lots of mid... then there is no room for melodies and stuff which is why you get those dubbed out one note hits in tunes like that, or stabs or pads, you know stuff that blends into the background...

you got to base your track entirely around the bass line... the bass patch should have so much modulation going on on it that you literally dont even need to use more than two notes... my 2 pense homie

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
Hygro (02-15-2017)
Old 02-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15860

why fight against yourself? you are naturally gravitating towards something and it should be embraced. there's a glut of well produced mediocre music that "works on the dance floor" because it sounds like all the other music that also "works on the dance floor". the only way to stand out is to make authentic music, that's full of (your own) character, with conviction.

otherwise,

iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
east bumfuck
MC Status: 329113200
Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,013 Posts

i would first ask,do you have any musical knowledge?ya know the basics scales chords etc.
second do you have any creativity,or do you just want to copy?
simple things really,if you want to make melodies you have to know more than just one music form,and you have to have at least a basic knowledge of music.simple.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8498080
Thanked 6,143 Times in 4,412 Posts

I just have the bass follow the root of the chords most of the time. Or if I'm not using chords, follow the melody. If I'm getting fancy I might make a "two note chord" out of the bass and melody....like just have the bass notes play a fifth down from the melody or something if it sounds right. Dance music tends to be deceptively simple--simple in that its not often a melodic or harmonic masterpiece, its more about rhythm and evolving texture for me.

In dance music the bassline is more about the groove and the interaction with the drums. If those two things are good, I don't care if it plays the root note of the key for the whole song. If I can't dance to the bass I don't care if its the most melodically complicated bassline in the world, it ain't worth a shit.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Rixtr (02-14-2017)
Old 02-15-2017, 08:19 AM   #6
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Dose View Post
I've been producing for about 6 years. I usually have a pretty good concept in my head of the vibe or style I'd like a track to have. Yet, too often when I'd like to make a "dancey" track, or one that's more driving and dark, I still end up gravitating toward a baseline with too many notes to be dancey, and a melody that's too...emo I guess. It still sounds good, so I sometimes keep it, but it's not the direction I intended.

It seems like a constant resistance to melody, and since most tracks that work on a dancefloor have very basic 2 or 3 note melodies and baselines, I end up with tracks that are better for listening than for dancing to.

I have this exact problem. I deal with it by practicing basslines in new sessions. A lot of it comes down to good synth design on the bass, ala FairyLand's post, and good drum samples. Use the complicated parts of your bass for fills and variations, otherwise work on keeping it the simplest version of itself.

Listen to the basses of songs.
Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #7
TheSampleThief
Analog Lurker
TheSampleThief is just really niceTheSampleThief is just really niceTheSampleThief is just really niceTheSampleThief is just really nice
MC Status: 360

Quote:

I often have the problem that tracks don't exactly end up where I wanted them, the best way for me to deal with it is constantly compare your track to a few tracks that sound similar to what you want. Ask yourself when conparing them:

1) How are the different synths/drums etc. structured and how do they sound?
2) How do they incporporate a (subtle) melody or make the track interesting without a strong melody?
3) How is the melody incporporated in the mix? (is your melody maybe too prominent?)
4) How do they make the track catchy/danceable and have a certain drive without a melody?

------------------
TheSampleThief is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6892759
Thanked 3,271 Times in 1,987 Posts

Well the bass line is easy. Just choose a root note and syncopate.

I think it also helps if you have a control or some other tactile method of interacting with your synths too. I generally have no problem sitting and fucking with the cutoff and some delay feedbacks... That's usually going to keep my little brain amused for an hour or four.

And then of course making sub bass loops out of kick drums. That's another fun one.

I think ultimately, you have to have some really tight percussive elements to tie everything else to. You have to make parameter changes. And you have to fuck around with a lot of effects.

------------------
For reference:
Quote:
Originally Posted by God*

satan = f i d
my master, my god, my lord and savior = f i d d y
my boner = f i d e l i u m

* I am not God.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
deadmau7 (02-21-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 12:18 AM   #9
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts

I pretty much agree with Jaded on this.
Danceability pretty much rests upon the percussion and syncopation.
If you can do that AND have a great melody and maybe even great harmony, you'll probably end up famous.
It's difficult for most people to pull off danciness and strong melody/harmony. But it can be done.

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:02 AM   #10
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of

Danceibility also rests on the sounds.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:08 AM   #11
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 16660

Do you like dance music? Think about it. Do you find yourself listening to it? I have a side project and absolutely all of our songs have ended up as dance music even though we did not intend that. It just happened.

I'd consider if you do like dance music putting yourself in the mindset to make it. Maybe that is house or garage. Perhaps you have to go be inspired by something else.

If you find yourself not liking dance music than save time and effort by not making it.

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #12
Rixtr
IDMf Supporter
Rixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MCRixtr is a savage MC
east bumfuck
MC Status: 329113200
Thanked 1,454 Times in 1,013 Posts

so whats wrong w/melodic music?
missing the point i guess,but i do struggle with getting the right...dunno house sound i guess.
always ends up being a damn soundtrack or game type thing.
Rixtr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:30 PM   #13
Hygro
Microknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtr View Post
missing the point i guess,but i do struggle with getting the right...dunno house sound i guess.
always ends up being a damn soundtrack or game type thing.
dude same. I have to practice very deliberately to escape the confines of sounding soundtracky.
Thanks to Hygro
Rixtr (02-22-2017)
Old 02-23-2017, 06:30 AM   #14
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 4110

signed.
sucker for melody in likely a detrimental way.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:29 AM   #15
rmedhurst
IDMf Supporter
rmedhurst has a spectacular aura aboutrmedhurst has a spectacular aura aboutrmedhurst has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 210

Quote:
I have exactly the opposite situation - the stuff that comes out is mainly techno-based, and I can't seem to design melodies at all.

So, no, it's probably not that uncommon. Try listening to a load of dark techno, then try to imitate the style, in a few experimental tracks, then you will probably get the hang of it.
rmedhurst is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 08:25 AM   #16
totes antenna
TOO on fleek
totes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond repute
Skyway Patrol
MC Status: 9160

1. dont add a melody
  2. use more drums

Advertisements

totes antenna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote