Favourite DAW features?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 12-02-2017, 02:07 AM   #1
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree
MC Status: 53740905
Thanked 2,386 Times in 1,626 Posts
Favourite DAW features?

What are the features of your DAW you've found to be the most useful/impressive/inspiring?

In Studio One, messing with the Groove parameters followed by the Split at Grid function.

Turns any sequence into something with a lot of energy and character.

The Swing, Start, and End parameters of the Groove controls also define where the grid splits the midi/audio. So it's more than just splitting into standard note lengths, which is when things get really interesting.

Really powerful if I think about bass lines as rhythmic, and that rhythm possibly has more permutations than melody!

Last edited by Cypherclerk; 12-02-2017 at 01:53 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Cypherclerk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Cypherclerk
mnkvolcno (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 03:18 AM   #2
Artificer
Digital Surfer
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 28110
Re: Favourite DAW features?

Ableton's sample/timestretching/hammer-the-shit-outta-that-sample abilities are really impressive, and I love not having to load up another program to really hammer the shit outta samples. Max for Live has some great functionality as well that I'm fond of.

FLStudio ships with some of the most impressive and complete synths you can get. I'd put Harmor up with any softsynth out there and there's some really neat utility plugins as well. I don't make beat based music very much anymore but I love FLs step sequencer and piano roll integration when I need it.

I was a Cakewalk (pre-Sonar) and then a Cubase user for years. I moved to Studio One a few years ago and it's been a great replacement. I honestly don't do as much with it as I could, but it functions in mostly the same ways and has some really awesome routing options I don't see in other DAWs (especially the aforementioned ones). It's very traditional in its layout and functionality in a fulfilling and comfortable way. I'm sure there's a lot under the hood I'm missing, but most of my workflow centers around Ableton and some Max/MSP.
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
mr.Qaobab
Knob Twiddler
mr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant futuremr.Qaobab has a brilliant future
rvk
MC Status: 1924

Track scopes in Renoise, makes it super fast to navigate between tracks and just great overview of what`s going on and you don`t have to remember which track is which cause you can see it at all times, seriously my favorite feature, it`s like being in cockpit of a fighter jet and totally in control... Renoise also has a mixer but I never ever use it.
mr.Qaobab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to mr.Qaobab
PROton42 (09-03-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 08:50 PM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1530327
Thanked 1,842 Times in 1,189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
Ableton's sample/timestretching/hammer-the-shit-outta-that-sample abilities are really impressive, and I love not having to load up another program to really hammer the shit outta samples. Max for Live has some great functionality as well that I'm fond of.

^ This for one.

Plus the new "Simpler" Sampler with the warp modes inbuilt.

Additionally in Ableton for me is the ability to quickly resample and drag and drop audio into samplers or into drum racks/drum cell's. Max For Live was a huge upgrade for me as well, primarily adding all sorts of modulation sources for me to modulate either soft or hardware synth's MIDI CC's.

------------------
chasedobson is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
ms_ (12-02-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 09:18 PM   #5
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 18660

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificer View Post
FLStudio ships with some of the most impressive and complete synths you can get. I'd put Harmor up with any softsynth out there and there's some really neat utility plugins as well.
Agreed, I was going to say Harmor, Sytrus, and Drumaxx. The piano roll is good, I'm sure, but I've never worked with anything else. I will say it's great that the arpeggiator and the note chopper are right there in the roll, combine that with the select tool and you can take a chord progression and get some arps and chord stabs nice and quick. Also, the ability to see notes for other instruments in a given pattern makes writing melodies super easy, just keep it on the ghost notes for your chord prog and then transpose it up and paste it into a new pattern when done.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #6
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 112910
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,315 Posts

Live 9:

session view: it's not just some dj tool, it's a good place to start a new track. If it's beat oriented, make different patterns, play with them and once you have enough of content, record everything to arrangement view for further editing. I do this with ambient too, it's easier to get your workflow going.

easy resampling: I usually pick resampling over freeze/flatten because you can control parameters in real time while it's recording to a new audio file. Easy to setup, you can build a personal sample library quite quickly.

easy audio/midi slicing: drag and drop, split, create different patterns of midi tracks. Good audio warping modes. "Slice to new midi track" rocks, grab any recording that has loads of transient content and slice it, then arrange and create new patterns. Glitch music 101.

m4l integration: not too stable for me, but some m4l devices are nuts, also there's this entire user library where you can get cool things for free, want some super experimental, obscure synth/sound generator/effect? Look into user library online. Also, learn to build your own stuff in Max and it's very easy to intergrate it into m4l and use your plugins in Live. Awww yis, it's all mine!

factory plugins: don't you hate that every plugin you open appears on a separate window? Unless it's a third party plugin, all Live devices stacks one after another in a bottom screen and has this minimal look with no shitty UI. And they're really good. I'm happy with EQ8 and it's my main eq plugin, other audio effects rock too.
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Mario D
Sample Destroyer
Mario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond reputeMario D has a reputation beyond repute
Croatia
MC Status: 2860

I have no idea what other daw's have, so I cant specificly say something from Cubase thats different from other ones, but in Cubase I like how everything is accesable via keyboard, everything goes so fast, cuting, pasting, switching mixer, project, etc etc. really like the easines of cubase.

------------------
Mario D is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 06:34 PM   #8
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto
MC Status: 910

I really love Magix's object-oriented editing in both Samplitude & Sequoia. It's great for mastering as I place all the songs in one track with different plugins in each song. The only thing is that Samplitude or Sequoia is pretty CPU heavy...but has an amazing sound quality...so I guess that is the trade-off.

I'm pretty interested to try Reaper as I've heard alot of good things about it.
mmarra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 06:57 PM   #9
Bipolar Joe
Master of the LFO
Bipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond reputeBipolar Joe has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 7610

The MIDI effects in Live. These days I just set those up on a bunch of tracks with some random clip changes and let it make music for me because I am very lazy.

------------------
Try a lowpassed square wave, moron.

Also, buy my God damn music, please.
Bipolar Joe is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Bipolar Joe
Vault O))) (18-02-2017)
Old 13-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #10
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 151210
Thanked 3,024 Times in 1,816 Posts

I use Cubase and I like that I'm not tethered by the dick to motherfucking Apple computers porc corp.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
mnkvolcno (13-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 12:15 PM   #11
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Cypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MCCypherclerk is a savage MC
Rectilinear Filigree

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_ View Post
Factory plugins: don't you hate that every plugin you open appears on a separate window? Unless it's a third party plugin, all Live devices stacks one after another in a bottom screen and has this minimal look with no shitty UI. And they're really good. I'm happy with EQ8 and it's my main eq plugin, other audio effects rock too.

------------------
Thanks to Cypherclerk
ms_ (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
Public Enema #2
MC Status: 31110

I don't know which of these occur in other DAW's, but here's my Live rundown

- The ability to stack racks inside of racks (drum, effect, instrument, etc) and macro your macros. The only thing missing here is being able to bus your buses.

- The preservation of old things like impulse [which can still offer a lot of options when used with drum racks]

- Warp modes, inside and outside of simpler

- Simpler to sampler button (great for indecisive people like me)

- Recording in resampling mode, recording selected tracks or buses on the fly + pre / post-mixer options into any other audio track

- The ability to switch from automation to modulation modes

- Session + arrangement views for two crazy-separate angles

- Max for live. It's glitchy as hell (as stated), but you can always record shit before the crash happens

I should stop there. I could go on all day.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Vault O)))
ms_ (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 01:01 PM   #13
ms_
Biscuits
ms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MCms_ is a savage MC
MC Status: 112910
Thanked 2,258 Times in 1,315 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypherclerk View Post
what live skin is this
ms_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to ms_
Cypherclerk (18-02-2017)
Old 18-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #14
mmarra
Minor Glitch
mmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to beholdmmarra is a splendid one to behold
Toronto
MC Status: 910

Looks like a great and effective workflow layout
mmarra is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2017, 07:14 PM   #15
candlesayshi
Imperfect
candlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MCcandlesayshi is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 39280549
Thanked 1,160 Times in 747 Posts

A couple off the top of my head.

Cakewalk SONAR:

Envelope Offset Mode: There's a setting where you can set automation envelopes in relative values rather than static values so that you can adjust parameters without affecting the settings of your automation lanes. Really useful for me. Especially for those times I want to try something without having to remember what I wanted to do later while adjusting mix levels and other settings.

Patch Points: Any audio output can be routed into any audio input. One of those features that after it was added, I had no idea how I did things without it. Been using it a lot lately to design pad sounds with different instruments across the frequency spectrum and then combining those into being like a single instrument track.

------------------
candlesayshi is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #16
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17860

reverb sampling in edison
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:44 AM   #17
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

overall easiness and 3xOSC

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2017, 11:41 PM   #18
Cypherclerk
Generate & Test
Rectilinear Filigree

Wow so I can drag and drop a duplicate of entire Insert chains per channel onto a new channel in S1. Same for the send fxs.

Deactivate all Inserts on channel button > Bounce selection to new track event > drag and drop Insert chain onto new track.

------------------
Old 01-03-2017, 07:46 PM   #19
Kenophos
Granular Poster
Kenophos is a name known to allKenophos is a name known to allKenophos is a name known to allKenophos is a name known to allKenophos is a name known to allKenophos is a name known to all
MC Status: 610

Freezing a track in Ableton and then dragging it to an audio track. Really speeds up the sampling workflow (much faster than recording in "resampling" mode)

------------------
Soundcloud / Bandcamp (to be found here: ambient/drone/glitch/techno/IDM)
Kenophos is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Kenophos
DOLGAP (02-03-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 04:25 PM   #20
Blank^
Digital Surfer
Blank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MCBlank^ is a savage MC
MC Status: 3839694

The entire Reason program.
That software has huge sound potential with the recently added features in Reason 9.
Automation is super easy and extensive.
Actually one can consider the entire software as an instrument.

Advertisements

Blank^ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blank^
Lotus_Jewel (04-07-2017)