[Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements


Reply
Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
Carne Asada
Microknight
Carne Asada has a spectacular aura aboutCarne Asada has a spectacular aura about
Carne Asada's Avatar
Posts: 118
MC Status: 160
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
[Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Hey guys and gals, working on a new project... a bit darker and a bit more minimal. My biggest rode block (the only thing from stopping me calling this a finished track) is deciding whether or not the synths need to be manipulated a bit to change things up... part of me says no... part of me says yes...

Anyways, let me know what you think.

Advertisements


------------------
Carne Asada is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Rate this track - [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:24 AM   #2
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
MFXxx's Avatar
My own little world
Posts: 1,193
MC Status: 1820927
Thanks: 409
Thanked 509 Times in 361 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Nice clean production and sound.
Overall though the track is very flat and needs some lift. Maybe some build of different parts along the journey of the sounds etc. Im not talking epic risers, snare rolls etc. The track needs to evolve more for my taste through out.
Some good elements you can definitely build on throughout, Id say wip as is at the moment. Look forward to listen to the end product.

------------------
...from the adventures of IDM Forum collaborations and community projects.


Warning: DO NOT Press the Panda...even though you know you want too!!!
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:28 AM   #3
Carne Asada
Microknight
Carne Asada has a spectacular aura aboutCarne Asada has a spectacular aura about
Carne Asada's Avatar
Posts: 118
MC Status: 160
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Nice clean production and sound.
Overall though the track is very flat and needs some lift. Maybe some build of different parts along the journey of the sounds etc. Im not talking epic risers, snare rolls etc. The track needs to evolve more for my taste through out.
Some good elements you can definitely build on throughout, Id say wip as is at the moment. Look forward to listen to the end product.
Really appreciate the feedback! I agree with you that it is flat, I've been trying to come up with a good "lead sound" or a bit more of a driving sound but so far it had just yielded a mucky tune which lost it's cleanliness. A tough line to tread! I'll keep you posted

------------------
Carne Asada is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:58 AM   #4
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
MFXxx's Avatar
My own little world
Posts: 1,193
MC Status: 1820927
Thanks: 409
Thanked 509 Times in 361 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Asada View Post
Really appreciate the feedback! I agree with you that it is flat, I've been trying to come up with a good "lead sound" or a bit more of a driving sound but so far it had just yielded a mucky tune which lost it's cleanliness. A tough line to tread! I'll keep you posted
My personal take on techno is it doesn't necessarily need a lead like here.
With some thoughtful implementation of effects on the existing tracks and parts, use the effects to evolve the individual stems and use your mixer to console to increase/reduce various parameters. Ie filters, effects, reverb, overlays...using these will create timbres and from these the timbres will create a new sound textures and nuiances that will carry the track and listener.

Give it a go.

I attempted this a little with the track "Anytime" in the Panda playlist (see tab below). Not an epic track but hopefully in the latter part you will see what I mean. (And I am by no means an expert or particularly good at what i do, but I enjoy the journey).

------------------
...from the adventures of IDM Forum collaborations and community projects.


Warning: DO NOT Press the Panda...even though you know you want too!!!
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #5
_nanonoise_
Granular Poster
_nanonoise_ is a glorious beacon of light_nanonoise_ is a glorious beacon of light_nanonoise_ is a glorious beacon of light_nanonoise_ is a glorious beacon of light_nanonoise_ is a glorious beacon of light
_nanonoise_'s Avatar
Posts: 65
MC Status: 460
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Great vibe & crisp sound!

For perfection you could indeed change some subtle elements. For example you could modify the pads a bit (which sound really great), or modify the b(r)ass synth with some resonance or so, or maybe add some subtle percussive elements. I would also keep the pattern you used in the beginning running, because it creates a nice flow; but that's all up to you of course!

I like the rest of your tracks as well, especially the soul valley remix. Nice work!
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:01 AM   #6
Mitsakes
Regular Freak
Mitsakes has a spectacular aura aboutMitsakes has a spectacular aura about
Colorado
Posts: 11
MC Status: 160
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Nice work on this, but I agree that there is some more work that you could do. For example, I'm imagining that lead line turning into something a lot more spacious and atmospheric as the song progresses. I get the indecisiveness on changed up the synthwork, but maybe you just need some more FX in there. I think having that lead swell into some delay/reverb chain might sound neat and give the track more space. Then again, if you wan't to keep a cleaner space then you could do some filtering shit like what's already been suggested. Good luck!
Mitsakes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:27 PM   #7
Mattem
Minor Glitch
Mattem is on a distinguished road
MANCHESTER
Posts: 42
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Yo, Good solid foundation - would be nice as a DUB B Side... In my preference of Techno I think this track would benefit from melodic riff an octave or so up from you bassier synth.... or as you say manipulate your current sound to add variation.. I think whatever manipulation/ additional sounds you have will play nicely over the current arrangement... look forward to seeing what you do man... enjoying your work!!
Mattem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:01 AM   #8
Carne Asada
Microknight
Carne Asada has a spectacular aura aboutCarne Asada has a spectacular aura about
Carne Asada's Avatar
Posts: 118
MC Status: 160
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Guys, I really appreciate all of the advice and kind words! I will be working on the track this week and reporting back right after! I'm looking at a hardware compressor and EQ... might give em a go on the final master.

I've been listening to a lot of progressive house this past week and I think I have a great idea for the track.

------------------
Carne Asada is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
Creepr
Sample Destroyer
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Creepr's Avatar
Germany
Posts: 290
MC Status: 3460
Thanks: 38
Thanked 69 Times in 53 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

hi hi Mr. Carne. So I see you have a lot of opinions already, but I figured I would chime in as I listened to the track and well, I have opinions. Firstly, I would second what MFXxx says. It think you have a great vibe going but at the moment it is not reaaaaally techno in structure. That is not a bad thing, it is just not techno (to me). It sounds like some kind of tech-deep house mix, which is in itself cool. If you want techno the hell out of it, drop the pad completely and get rid of the tuning on your synth bass part. I mean to say it would sound really gritty and atonal and drive the tune, but not sound like a synth lead if you could flatten it or broaden it spectrally. Like make it more of a bass drum sound or just fuzz the heck out of it so it is more broad spectrum noise.

So, my 2c only. Overall the track is pretty cool if not a bit repetitive, which you already mentioned addressing maybe with some variations. My comments are based on you tagging this as techno, so take it fwiw to you.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #10
thin king
Soundscaper
thin king has a spectacular aura aboutthin king has a spectacular aura aboutthin king has a spectacular aura about
thin king's Avatar
Sheffield
Posts: 332
MC Status: 210
Thanks: 1
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

loved the intro until the hat/shaker came in - seems like the reverb is completely separate from the rest of the tune - the kick is lovely. overall a solid track - maybe some more modulation and melody progression is needed though.

------------------
thin king is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:15 AM   #11
Carne Asada
Microknight
Carne Asada has a spectacular aura aboutCarne Asada has a spectacular aura about
Carne Asada's Avatar
Posts: 118
MC Status: 160
Thanks: 11
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
hi hi Mr. Carne. So I see you have a lot of opinions already, but I figured I would chime in as I listened to the track and well, I have opinions. Firstly, I would second what MFXxx says. It think you have a great vibe going but at the moment it is not reaaaaally techno in structure. That is not a bad thing, it is just not techno (to me). It sounds like some kind of tech-deep house mix, which is in itself cool. If you want techno the hell out of it, drop the pad completely and get rid of the tuning on your synth bass part. I mean to say it would sound really gritty and atonal and drive the tune, but not sound like a synth lead if you could flatten it or broaden it spectrally. Like make it more of a bass drum sound or just fuzz the heck out of it so it is more broad spectrum noise.

So, my 2c only. Overall the track is pretty cool if not a bit repetitive, which you already mentioned addressing maybe with some variations. My comments are based on you tagging this as techno, so take it fwiw to you.
First off, thanks for listening! Secondly, I see what you are saying, I suppose that all of the progressive house has been skewing my techno. I suppose I need to deconstruct some more tracks to get the arrangement down... I'm guessing it will yield "need to work on drums more" ie fills and various percussive elements etc. which I kinda spotted while listening to it again.

but again the advice is much appreciated

------------------
Carne Asada is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 04:06 AM   #12
Beid
Microknight
Beid is on a distinguished road
Posts: 116
MC Status: 10
Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

that bang at 1:20 was really nice, caught me off guard. I personally think a track like this is beautiful the way it is. The dj is the one who should be twiddling the knobs and attempting to mirror the "nuances" of the floor. But then again, I'm trying to add those elements also. you asked about the pads in op, I think the track is very interesting and kept me listening for the entire piece. l like how the pads wander, although 4:50 to end of track kinda died. I like a
Beid is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #13
Creepr
Sample Destroyer
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Creepr's Avatar
Germany
Posts: 290
MC Status: 3460
Thanks: 38
Thanked 69 Times in 53 Posts
Re: [Techno] Cutt Off - I.D. 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carne Asada View Post
First off, thanks for listening! Secondly, I see what you are saying, I suppose that all of the progressive house has been skewing my techno. I suppose I need to deconstruct some more tracks to get the arrangement down... I'm guessing it will yield "need to work on drums more" ie fills and various percussive elements etc. which I kinda spotted while listening to it again.

but again the advice is much appreciated
Glad I could give you a different perspective. That is what this section is for.

Advertisements


------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[TECHNO DJ SET] Andre Lanine techno set. Radio scorpio leuven broadcast andre lanine Members Live Sets 0 03-30-2016 10:06 AM
[TECHNO] Beastie Boys - Brass Monkey (Ttinga Dark Techno Remix) Ttinga Listening Booth 8 04-23-2013 05:56 PM
Prisoneer - No Limit Techno #8 on FNOOB Techno Radio + Tracklist [04.02.2013] prisoneer Members Live Sets 0 02-06-2013 04:30 PM
Prisoneer - No Limit Techno #7 on FNOOB Techno Radio + Tracklist [07.01.2013] prisoneer Members Live Sets 0 01-08-2013 05:33 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:53 AM.


Electronic Music Forums

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.