What do you think i should do? (GONE WRONG!)
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #1
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160
What do you think i should do? (GONE WRONG!)

Easy all,

hope you liked the GONE WRONG bit....

Right i have a dilemma... basically what should i do?

so ive got about 60 tunes that are finished mastered and ready to go spread over two alias's).... three of them have been posted on social media so far (soundcloud/youtube/here)

i put 11 of them into a collection and released it via bandcamp last year and it made a fair bit of money as it was featured by bandcamp and got a few reviews (i didnt do any PR for it - despite that being my day job at the time, electronic music pr)

I mean im a beast in the studio when i want to be - these 60 were all done last year - so im not too precious about them as i know i can make more if i need to.....

shall i just keep on slapping them up on the socials or what....

i mean i do send some demos out but i dont think people really get signed on demos anymore, its the whole package isnt it? Success breeds and begets success. I.E people dont fuck with you till youve made it anyway....

ive been doing this for 12 years now and i worked int he music business professionally for about 7 years before i quit to make an effort with music for a year or so... this is supposed to be my promo period now....

I have lots and lots of contacts in the music game, but proming other peoples work is VERY different that doing your own.... i had no problems hard selling a release into a journo for review or feature when it was work becasue i was removed from the work and its quality didnt reflect on me so much (i mean i only took on good stuff but you catch my drift), but i dont feel comfortable doing that for my own stuff...

So if you were in my shoes, what would you do if you actually wanted to make it (at least a little bit) - i believe in the product, save a few moments of disgust which i think we all get....) so yea

HELP A BROTHER OUT!

Advertisements

------------------
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:01 PM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 150360
Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,235 Posts
Re: What do you think i should do? (GONE WRONG!)

Short answer:

Grow a pair.

Longer answer:

Dude, by your own admission, you have the skills needed to do PR work..you been doing for others with marked success..so just relax and jump into doing it for your own stuff..if it's half as good as you're saying it is, then it's a no-brainier..honestly!

By the sounds of it, you're well able to produce quality tracks, so fear of drying up in the future shouldn't be an issue for you, like it is for others. Likewise, you have the added advantage of knowing how the game is played, having been working in the music arena for a number of years already, hawking the works of others. If I were you, I wouldn't pause to think about it..I'd be out there working every contact I had to get my own stuff recognized.

That said, if you don't and are still in the same place in a few months time, I might hit you up to go knock on a few doors for me..I could be famous and rich..seriously..I could..just need a huge dose of photo-shop on all the promo prints and we'd be good to go.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #3
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of

Yea man - thanks your reply, much appreciated.... What you are saying is basically what my GF is saying as well.... that means setting up a 'record label', doing art and promo shots and bundling everything into releases (sites/mags dont really feature stuff that isnt released and on a label (even if it is just a vanity project, on the whole anyway) which is not what i really wanted to do... but prob will have to do that....

i might keep putting a few of the tunes online tho, try and build a bit more support before i go down the whole PR route... but yea plan some releases, i can do that..... cheers brother

------------------
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
A.M (01-30-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 12:40 AM   #4
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 81100
Thanked 1,596 Times in 1,077 Posts

I guess your post doesn't make it clear what your end goal is. Do you see yourself making a living at this? If so, how? Would you like to do live shows/make jingles for car commercials/video game/movie?

What do you want?
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:57 AM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8497680
Thanked 6,135 Times in 4,406 Posts

I'm not even close to that level, but curious where this thread goes.

My asshole answers is: I wish I had 6 tracks ready to release :p
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 10:21 AM   #6
FairyLand INC.
Microknight

Oatbag - i dunno, yea play some shows, sell a few records, do some mastering, some mixing.... done jingles and stuff before.... You see all these people who 'make it' and then get jobs in music for like... Milanese for example on Planet MU - groundbreaking artist, made two HUGE albums, but quit releasing music on labels to become a souns designer and sound tracker.... but you can only get those jobs if you have 'made it' per se////

i guess making it is a bit of dirty word in our section of the game, as you are supposed to want to do it for the art, and yea i do wanna do it for the art, that is why i FIRST got into music, but i bet im not the only one who wonders what if, not the only one who wants to do this type of thing full time.... we just dont admit it because it seems unreal, its like saying i want to be a hollywood actor i think, admitting you wanna make some money of making music, but that is ultimately the dream for me anyway....

thanks for yours input people!

------------------
Old 01-31-2017, 06:20 PM   #7
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15810

sounds like you know more about the game than 90% of the people on this forum, so we should be asking YOU for advise.

just go for it. from the tracks i've heard, your stuff is quality, so you shouldn't feel bad about trying to sell it too hard. the payout of promoting the shit out of yourself is much greater than promoting other people's stuff, no? so it's a no-brainer. just do it. experiment with approaches. especially since you have so much material and the confidence to create more. no reason to be too precious with it.

also, nothing wrong with trying to make it and do music full time. sounds like you are on the way. it seems that people who diversify and try to get multiple independent streams of income are the ones who are able to sustain themselves with just music. some mixing, some one-on-one skyping, some shows, some soundpacks, release a plugin, do a podcast (sponsors/ad-revenue), do some tutorials, etc. if that's what you and you are able to hustle, then that way is as good as any other. advantages and disadvantages with both ways (relying on music vs having a regular job and doing this on the side). but neither are wrong.

sounds like it's more of a mental issue. you need to take off your 'artist' hat and put on your 'publicist' hat. no matter what happens, you know you can always put the artist hat back on. so whatever selling you do now is not going to affect in any way who you are or what you do.

that's all i got. don't have any direct experience with any of this stuff. i'm personally happy i don't have to rely on music for my income (though i did want to do the whole band thing when i was much younger and naive). i have a technical non-music related career that i love and pays well and positively affects people (healthcare) and i can do whatever the fuck i want with my silly music. but that's me.

good luck with everything.
iDoG is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
FairyLand INC. (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 06:31 PM   #8
FairyLand INC.
Microknight

what a guy! cheers IDog

------------------
Old 02-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #9
RFJ
IDMf ArtistModerator
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199643768
Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,157 Posts

I think generally with questions like these one already knows what they want to do.

So go and do that.

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 743999141
Thanked 6,634 Times in 4,153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairyLand INC. View Post
its like saying i want to be a hollywood actor i think!
There's nothing wrong with aspiring to be a Hollywood actor if you're busting your balls in the local theatre/tv/advertising scene.
That's what actors do.
However, I agree it's unlikely you'll ever just get spotted and transported straight to Hollywood from the supermarket.

Advertisements

lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote