Do your friends and family support you?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-26-2017, 09:28 PM   #1
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160
Do your friends and family support you?

Easy now,

yea... do your friends and family support you...?

Real life and online...

Online in particular.... social media in particular..... facebook specifically, people dont seem to support the local artist from their own cities, yet you see them supporting other people in other places.... same with your friends, you could be fucking Aphex Twin good and still your friends wouldnt go out of their way to listen to your tracks, but they'd listen to some wank by other people they dont know....

so yeayea... do your friends and family support you...?

Real life and online...

Advertisements

FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
clocolan (01-29-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #2
Vault O)))
Digital Surfer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160
Re: Do your friends and family support you?

Fuck no. That's why I'm on here all the time.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45933731
Thanked 5,511 Times in 3,486 Posts

Some do, some don't. I find that most of the people who don't support their friends' musical projects are also musicians and that most of those are people who get tons of support for their own stuff. Kind of insulting, actually. But that's the world we live in now.
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Nystagmus (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8504580
Thanked 6,273 Times in 4,501 Posts

I think the last time I mentioned my music to my immediate family was when my niece was born five years ago and I offered to make a "sleepy time" ambient album for her. My brother pretty much just laughed at me. Love him to death. But most people in my life don't get it.

My partner likes to passive aggresively bitch me out about every 3 months about how I don't share my music with her--says the woman who hates repetative music.

LOL

And I don't share my stuff with my DnB/Bass music friends as they've come to think that I'm some kind of snob about music because I like BoC or w/e and I'm not just dropping a 6 minute amen break workout on top of a reese bass and a bunch of overdone pad sounds.

So...whatevs...I share my tunes on here occasionally or privately with a select few. I just enjoy the process.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:48 PM   #5
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Some do, some don't. I find that most of the people who don't support their friends' musical projects are also musicians and that most of those are people who get tons of support for their own stuff. Kind of insulting, actually. But that's the world we live in now.
Nail. Head. The. On
Thanks to FairyLand INC.
Numerical (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:05 PM   #6
Toothpinch
Analog Lurker
Toothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant futureToothpinch has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1510

They support me because I am realistic that this is just a hobby.
If I were to say I was quitting my job of 15 years to do this professionally, yeah.. they'd tell me I was nuts.
(Rightfully so).
Toothpinch is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I think the last time I mentioned my music to my immediate family was when my niece was born five years ago and I offered to make a "sleepy time" ambient album for her. My brother pretty much just laughed at me. Love him to death. But most people in my life don't get it.

My partner likes to passive aggresively bitch me out about every 3 months about how I don't share my music with her--says the woman who hates repetative music.

LOL

And I don't share my stuff with my DnB/Bass music friends as they've come to think that I'm some kind of snob about music because I like BoC or w/e and I'm not just dropping a 6 minute amen break workout on top of a reese bass and a bunch of overdone pad sounds.

So...whatevs...I share my tunes on here occasionally or privately with a select few. I just enjoy the process.
I planned on making a short YES! reply here but I went off on a tangent, sorry...

Seems pretty much the same as with my family. My circle of friends, like the guys I know from school and grew up with, most of them are really supportive and have been. They don't get all egotistically jealous about something I did (like for example, releasing something on a label) and ask for copies etc.

My family, eh, they just don't pay attention to it ftmp. Not really musical people. My sister is sort of into some of it but we don't talk all that much and she doesn't have a facebook profile so she doesn't really know what I'm up to musically. My brother and I aren't close so he knows or cares fuck all what I'm doing at any given moment. If i was in the hospital dying of cancer he'd probably visit. My mom supports me at whatever I'm doing, but doesn't actively listen to any of it, of which I do not blame her (lol). Her husband, my stepfather, is a musician and is genuinely interested in what I do so that's cool.

Facebook friends, it's a mixed bag. I don't expect everyone to pay attention to things they aren't really interested in speaking genre-wise so it doesn't surprise me that they don't jump on every mention of my tunes, it's just not their bag. Then there are the friends I have who do the same thing musically who NEVER give me the fuckin time of day, I'm probably on their 'unfollow' list and that's the type I'm talking about in my first post in the thread. The expect people to care about their stuff but don't support others. That's just kind of the world we inhabit now...it's sad and a bit narcissistic imo. Facebook just becomes an adspace rather than a meeting of the minds. I'll drop a name here: benwaa, since he's no longer around and unfriended me...the guy basically just machine gunned ads onto facebook and never reciprocated anything back. I'd constantly like his posts but never got any likes back....not that I really needed them but just the impression that gave to me of him was that it was all about him, so there you go. Not in a nutshell haha
Thanks to Numerical
FairyLand INC. (01-26-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:17 PM   #8
Nystagmus
Savage Mad Cunt
Nystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MCNystagmus is a savage MC
Planet Earth; 2017 AD.
MC Status: 65260
Thanked 1,305 Times in 985 Posts
Icon7 Re: Do your friends and family support you?

Quote:

...I just enjoy the process.
Man, what you said about making an ambient album for your newborn niece... that's truly beautiful. You are a kind and noble creator. I really like that idea.

I just recently noticed that Imogen Heap has released a few tunes that are fun and sound like they could be literally partially designed for toddlers and babies to listen to. I think Tiny Human might actually be dedicated to her kid or something... does she have kids? I dunno...

Peace

------------------
Mutually-Assured Survival is preferred.

Be a false negative of yourself !
Nystagmus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Nystagmus
relic (01-27-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 10:28 PM   #9
Artificer
Soundscaper
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 19360

I don't put my music out in public, I don't have aspirations for fame or recognition of any kind, and I don't use social media. Most of my current circle of friends don't even know I make music. So my answer would be no, but I'm probably not the right guy to be asking since I don't seem to fit what you're going for.
Artificer is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:29 AM   #10
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nystagmus View Post
Man, what you said about making an ambient album for your newborn niece... that's truly beautiful. You are a kind and noble creator. I really like that idea.

I just recently noticed that Imogen Heap has released a few tunes that are fun and sound like they could be literally partially designed for toddlers and babies to listen to. I think Tiny Human might actually be dedicated to her kid or something... does she have kids? I dunno...

Peace
Maybe I should just make the album anyway and give to my niece when is old enough to appreciate it on her own.
@Numerical: yea, I'm basically where you are at. There aren't that many people in my life who are interested out of genuine interest of any kind and I'm not going to push it on them. Just like I didn't expect anyone in my family to read my graduate thesis (which was a book of poetry). My mom wanted a copy of it (we had to have an archival quality copy printed for the library...fuck me...that was super expensive...). I just got it back from her because my parents are moving to a smaller single story home. I can tell it has probably never been opened.

I guess there is a difference between support and interest. I mean, its just a hobby for me so maybe its a bit different. Like my dad and brother are into guns, hunting and all that kind of stuff and I don't give two craps about it (I got a target pistol for Giftmas a couple years ago that I could partially fund a synth with if I sold it, thanks Dad!). I do talk some audio stuff with my dad since he still does live A/V stuff as part of his business and knows about old synths/keyboards because he used to be in a band.

Honestly in a way its kind of nice to have something in my life that just belongs to me. Its almost like when my family always used to ask me if I wanted to date/marry another writer. My answer has always been ah hell no! Even though no one in my life cares about my bleep n bass music, I also don't have anyone to compete with, so that's cool.

Meanwhile my brother and his friends are worried about who shot the buck with the biggest dick or w/e ...

And to comment directly about social media support--I don't do it for myself, but my friends, partner and I are all into and support local music. I go to a couple shows a month (not electronic music). But then again Akron/Cleveland and parts between has a pretty good overall local music scene.

I support my local monthly DJ event on social media, but I don't go. I used to, but most nights it was a bunch of old heads sitting around drinking beer and no one dancing. I can listen to house/techno mixes at home and not dance. Tried starting the trend six goes in a row a couple years back like trying to get people to dance. Most people honestly kinda acted like I was nuts for wanting to dance to dance music? Weird.

I go out occasionally when they get a regional heavy hitter.
Old 01-27-2017, 12:40 AM   #11
FairyLand INC.
Microknight

Quote:

Meanwhile my brother and his friends are worried about who shot the buck with the biggest dick or w/e ...
Firstly - this made me do a lol..... do they really talk about stuff like that? thats crazy weird, especially for someone coming from England. People in countryside do shoot game birds tho... but stilll!

Quote:
I support my local monthly DJ event on social media, but I don't go. I used to, but most nights it was a bunch of old heads sitting around drinking beer and no one dancing. I can listen to house/techno mixes at home and not dance. Tried starting the trend six goes in a row a couple years back like trying to get people to dance. Most people honestly kinda acted like I was nuts for wanting to dance to dance music? Weird.

I go out occasionally when they get a regional heavy hitter.
THis is pretty much me as well

------------------
Old 01-27-2017, 12:48 AM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

TBF, they care about how many "points" the antlers are...worth? I dunno...like they talk about a "10 point buck". I'll totally eat the deer meat when my brother bags one though.
Old 01-27-2017, 05:38 AM   #13
White Noise
Ghostly
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 13660

My parents were cool with it as long as it didn't interfere with the college they paid for a little part of and it wasn't loud (hence headphones). My friends are the ones who convinced me to get into making music, but I don't really know how much they support me. I post my stuff on FB for them to find and I get many more plays than I do responses from them, so I have no idea where/who it's coming from (I assume a large part is from here, thanks guys!). I have a musician friend who was my mentor from when I first started. We're supposed to be doing a remix/collab thing that's in limbo right now, but we still check out each others stuff (including WIPs, though he does alt rock and I do... whatever I do) and support each other pretty well. When I meet new people, they're usually pretty excited to check out my stuff when I do get around to telling them I do music, and I'm starting to build a mailing list of people who want my stuff that goes out whenever I release a song (it's got 3 people since November!). All in all, I don't expect much, so I'm usually pleasantly surprised by people's interest.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 AM   #14
lolirl
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744001541
Thanked 6,682 Times in 4,183 Posts

Quote:
TBF, they care about how many "points" the antlers are...worth? I dunno...like they talk about a "10 point buck". I'll totally eat the deer meat when my brother bags one though.
I believe it's literally how many pointy bits on the antlers.
Gives a rough idea of age and social dominance of the animal.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to lolirl
relic (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 01:20 PM   #15
Narukami Music
Soundscaper
Narukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond reputeNarukami Music has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8760

I wanted to say something snarky like "haha, of course not" but looking back, I really can't say that. Seems like a lot of people in my life give me some form of support. It's really nice but it's also kind of embarrassing really.

This one time, at a pretty small party, one of my friends connected my phone to the speaker, stood up and said: "everyone, this is a song that my friend made." He then proceeded to play my track. It was a nice gesture but damn, I'm not the kind of guy who likes to play his own music at parties.

I've only recently started opening up to people about my work and they all seem to be very nice and genuine about it. I'm still pretty hesitant about sharing my stuff, though, but I'm slowly getting over it. Music is what I like and it's a part of myself, so I'd like to start being more confident about my work.

The only people who don't care about my work or even support me at all is my family. They just think it's bad music and that I'm wasting my time. Granted, both those statements are probably true but it's a hobby. I'll keep doing it because I like to create.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #16
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1810

Dad and older brother have some of my unpublished stuff on their gym workout playlist.
I'd say that's good enough support

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to LichLord
relic (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 41960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
...Then there are the friends I have who do the same thing musically who NEVER give me the fuckin time of day, I'm probably on their 'unfollow' list and that's the type I'm talking about in my first post in the thread. The expect people to care about their stuff but don't support others. That's just kind of the world we inhabit now...it's sad and a bit narcissistic imo. Facebook just becomes an adspace rather than a meeting of the minds. I'll drop a name here: benwaa, since he's no longer around and unfriended me...the guy basically just machine gunned ads onto facebook and never reciprocated anything back. I'd constantly like his posts but never got any likes back....not that I really needed them but just the impression that gave to me of him was that it was all about him, so there you go. Not in a nutshell haha
Now, imho this really stretches the meaning of "friend". I'd say, if I was doing this semi-pro or even more seriously and got that sort of response I'd file that under douche and be done with those individuals. Facebook friends aren't friends. Friends come to your place, have a beer, and trash talk douches like those you mention. They respect what is important to you.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:34 PM   #18
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269441808
Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Fuck no. That's why I'm on here all the time.
Same, plus I have no friends.

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 07:32 PM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Now, imho this really stretches the meaning of "friend". I'd say, if I was doing this semi-pro or even more seriously and got that sort of response I'd file that under douche and be done with those individuals. Facebook friends aren't friends. Friends come to your place, have a beer, and trash talk douches like those you mention. They respect what is important to you.
You're right of course but I can only speak from experience as I have seen it. Problem is, many of my facebook friends are actual friends that I see irl. I have never gotten to the point where I'm adding tons of people I don't really know locally or ones that I talk to more often than not. Many of those people are musicians which presents itself in a way that 1. you support their music 2. they rarely support mine

Just so happens that I do have albums out, about 5 releases under my belt (one physical through a label) under different names that I've promoted over the years, briefly and concisely (meaning I didn't go crazy Benwaa-style trying to spam shit out left and right) and these same people whom I paid for their music via bandcamp or even physical copies have no fucks to give on my end...which maybe there are other factors I'm not seeing here but seems kinda douchey, as you said. Anyway I digress haha. Such is life!
Old 01-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 85700
Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,135 Posts

My parents would probably akwardly pretend to enjoy a song a shared with them and comment that it is "interesting." My wife says the same thing - oh that has lots of different sounds, etc. My daughter at least enjoys trying to make her own songs. My friends, I do privately share stuff with with other musician types or djs or whatever on facebook, but in general I know nobody would care for any sort of electronic music other than maybe something poppy.

I don't really put it out there in public that I do this sort of thing. I'm strangely embarrassed and I don't know why. I really only share with a small number of people.

Advertisements

Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
relic (01-28-2017)