Any other homebrewers out here?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 01-24-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth
MC Status: 360
Any other homebrewers out here?

I started some time last year, I'm accustomed to doing simple wines n ciders, ironically I suck at beer but I'm learning. I've more recently taken up making whiskey.

Shout out to all other brewers

Apologies in advance for anyone coming here thinking I was referring to videogame home brewing, I respect the shit out of that stuff too though. I'm not wholly unfamilliar with it but thats not what this thread is about : ]

Advertisements

Arexus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 05:01 AM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513480
Thanked 6,451 Times in 4,615 Posts
Re: Any other homebrewers out here?

My dad does. I help sometimes. I know a bit about it...lol...I sound like I'm 12...he has had pretty good success.
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 03:48 AM   #3
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth

sounds good brother
Old 01-30-2017, 11:32 AM   #4
Mitsakes
Regular Freak
Mitsakes has a spectacular aura aboutMitsakes has a spectacular aura about
Colorado
MC Status: 160

I'm a bit of a greenhorn but I love it. Made some bootleg cider that tasted like ass a couple Christmases ago. Lately have been doing some extract beer brewing. Got about 10 gallons of ingredients around and 5 gallons in the fermenter. Every batch is better than the last (only 3 batches in), still have acetaldehyde problems though. Probably due to impatience of course.

But you make whiskey? how the hell do you go about doing that? If I learn how to make whiskey I am moving up into the mountains and living out the rest of my days as a brewing hermit. Actually scratch that I need a computer to stay alive.
Mitsakes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 05:30 AM   #5
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsakes View Post
I'm a bit of a greenhorn but I love it. Made some bootleg cider that tasted like ass a couple Christmases ago. Lately have been doing some extract beer brewing. Got about 10 gallons of ingredients around and 5 gallons in the fermenter. Every batch is better than the last (only 3 batches in), still have acetaldehyde problems though. Probably due to impatience of course.

But you make whiskey? how the hell do you go about doing that? If I learn how to make whiskey I am moving up into the mountains and living out the rest of my days as a brewing hermit. Actually scratch that I need a computer to stay alive.
Ah, I hear ya
My first cider tasted like ass too, my folks say to add more sugar and I've learned from that. I haven't got a mash tun yet so most of my brewing is extract as well.
Haha, I actually do live in the mountains but I couldn't be a hermit. Wouldn't mind a nice little isolated shack though.

You make whiskey by distilling - You'll need a still to do that. Most of the ones worth a damn are pretty costly, but it's cheaper to make your own. I myself am using a little Chinese piece of shit for the moment til I can make my own - you can get the same kind for about $80-$100 on ebay, but a well made copper one would be a better investment. Basically you siphon the mash (the brew in distiller jargon ) into the boiler, set up water circulation in the condenser, and heat up the boiler til it starts boiling. A thermometer built into the boiler would be beneficial to monitor heat, and you're gonna want something like a propane burner with good heat control. Once it starts dripping out the alcohol you can turn your heat down to medium, if you run too hot you're going to get more mash than alcohol.
There's plenty of good resources to learn about it better than I can tell you, Clawhammer Supply is a good place to start, but the one unbreakable rule in distilling - Always throw out the first cup and a half per 5 gallon mash in a still run. This contains methanol, which can blind you or kill you.
Once you got it all collected you can throw in some oak chips and let it sit a month, unless you just want moonshine.

I've got a whiskey aging on my table as we speak, about 3 weeks in, taken a nice dark brown color.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
Mitsakes
Regular Freak
Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arexus View Post
Ah, I hear ya
My first cider tasted like ass too, my folks say to add more sugar and I've learned from that. I haven't got a mash tun yet so most of my brewing is extract as well.
Haha, I actually do live in the mountains but I couldn't be a hermit. Wouldn't mind a nice little isolated shack though.

You make whiskey by distilling - You'll need a still to do that. Most of the ones worth a damn are pretty costly, but it's cheaper to make your own. I myself am using a little Chinese piece of shit for the moment til I can make my own - you can get the same kind for about $80-$100 on ebay, but a well made copper one would be a better investment. Basically you siphon the mash (the brew in distiller jargon ) into the boiler, set up water circulation in the condenser, and heat up the boiler til it starts boiling. A thermometer built into the boiler would be beneficial to monitor heat, and you're gonna want something like a propane burner with good heat control. Once it starts dripping out the alcohol you can turn your heat down to medium, if you run too hot you're going to get more mash than alcohol.
There's plenty of good resources to learn about it better than I can tell you, Clawhammer Supply is a good place to start, but the one unbreakable rule in distilling - Always throw out the first cup and a half per 5 gallon mash in a still run. This contains methanol, which can blind you or kill you.
Once you got it all collected you can throw in some oak chips and let it sit a month, unless you just want moonshine.

I've got a whiskey aging on my table as we speak, about 3 weeks in, taken a nice dark brown color.
Sounds pretty neat! I'm from Kansas (now living in the Rockies) so I've had some shine before, just didn't know how it worked exactly. And also, hilariously enough you replied on bottling night for me. Phone started buzzing during the siphon! Time to bottle this pale ale, its looking pretty good. I've been having acetaldehyde problems but I think it's just due to impatience. Let this batch sit in primary for 4 weeks this time, hoping it solves the issue. Hey by the way, do you know if brandy is made through the same distilling process? Beer bourbon and brandy are my unholy trinity right now! Well.... scotch too but that kind of messes up my consonance scheme doesn't it...
Old 02-04-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 18560

I have homebrew on my Wii
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 08:30 AM   #8
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

You can actually make some decent cider in a gallon milk jug. All you need is apple cider with no perservatives in it (no sodium anything), champagne yeast, and a ballon with a pin hole in it around the mouth of the jug. I've done this several times and gotten a ~10% AVB cider/wine after a few months fermenting. I back sweetened it with a half cup of homemade spiced rum per gallon.

It ends up a bit "rustic" tasting, its best to try and filter out the yeasty beasties and bottle it...but probably isn't that different than the "farm cider" people have been making for hundreds of years. Also best to get some "yeast killer" if you plan on bottling it in glass. Defo had a few bottles "pop" AKA explode and make a mess in my basement the first time I did it lol.

Honestly, you can even get away with cider that has sodium preservatives, you might just need more yeast/sugar ;p
Old 02-11-2017, 02:34 PM   #9
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitsakes View Post
Sounds pretty neat! I'm from Kansas (now living in the Rockies) so I've had some shine before, just didn't know how it worked exactly. And also, hilariously enough you replied on bottling night for me. Phone started buzzing during the siphon! Time to bottle this pale ale, its looking pretty good. I've been having acetaldehyde problems but I think it's just due to impatience. Let this batch sit in primary for 4 weeks this time, hoping it solves the issue. Hey by the way, do you know if brandy is made through the same distilling process? Beer bourbon and brandy are my unholy trinity right now! Well.... scotch too but that kind of messes up my consonance scheme doesn't it...
Brandy is just about the same process except with fruit juices in fermentation, primarily grapes you know. I've heard around that there are some nuances to be taken into account with brandy but i'm not sure what they are, I'm not very experienced with it.
I'm not sure if you're using PET bottles or not but one of my chemist buds told me that Acetaldehyde was a possible byproduct of PET, so if you are that may be a factor.
How'd that ale turn out?
Old 02-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #10
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
You can actually make some decent cider in a gallon milk jug. All you need is apple cider with no perservatives in it (no sodium anything), champagne yeast, and a ballon with a pin hole in it around the mouth of the jug. I've done this several times and gotten a ~10% AVB cider/wine after a few months fermenting. I back sweetened it with a half cup of homemade spiced rum per gallon.

It ends up a bit "rustic" tasting, its best to try and filter out the yeasty beasties and bottle it...but probably isn't that different than the "farm cider" people have been making for hundreds of years. Also best to get some "yeast killer" if you plan on bottling it in glass. Defo had a few bottles "pop" AKA explode and make a mess in my basement the first time I did it lol.

Honestly, you can even get away with cider that has sodium preservatives, you might just need more yeast/sugar ;p
My first cider was something like that
I just stuck an airlock in the lid and pitched yeast haha
Thanks to Arexus
relic (02-11-2017)
Old 02-11-2017, 05:50 PM   #11
Mitsakes
Regular Freak
Colorado

Quote:
Brandy is just about the same process except with fruit juices in fermentation, primarily grapes you know. I've heard around that there are some nuances to be taken into account with brandy but i'm not sure what they are, I'm not very experienced with it.
I'm not sure if you're using PET bottles or not but one of my chemist buds told me that Acetaldehyde was a possible byproduct of PET, so if you are that may be a factor.
How'd that ale turn out?
Hmm interesting. I'm using glass bottles, but my fermenter is just a bucket. Pretty sure it is PET, it might be HDPE though (bought another yesterday so I can clear out my stock before my ingredients go stale). I'll look into the correlation there, thanks for the info! The ale came out pretty nice, the best thing I've made so far. Still a ways to go on carbonation though, its only been in the bottle a week. I forgot the gently stir in my dextrose solution after siphoning on top of it, and last time I forgot to do that it came out a little flat. I'll find out in a bit I guess! Its pretty hoppy so its hard to tell whether or not acetaldehyde is still cropping up. I feel like there's a slight kick of something other than hops, but compared to the last batch the problem is definitely lesser. Maybe bulk aging is the way to go, as sitting on the yeast cake gives the yeasties more strength to clean up off flavors than the tiny amount left after bottling is capable of.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:58 PM   #12
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
My first cider was something like that
I just stuck an airlock in the lid and pitched yeast haha
Yea, I used a ballon with a pin hole in it, lol.
Old 02-11-2017, 10:18 PM   #13
Stich
Savage Mad Cunt
Stich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MCStich is a savage MC
Keep Colorado Springs Lame
MC Status: 47060

My friend Craig is hands down the best home brewer I have ever known. He's a pharmacist by trade, and a perfectionist. I just helped move his stuff into his new house and he plans to expand his setup. Right now he has stainless steel fermenting vessels and some large glass carboys. Usually he will have three beers on tap and something extra in the cooler. They throw impromptu dinner parties and we drink the shit out of that stuff. He makes IPAs of course, stouts, saisons, you name it. And each one has been good with some being exceptionally good.
Stich is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:21 AM   #14
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44410

I've looked into distilling a bit. I am a chemist by training and distillations were by far my favorite ways to purify chemicals. So, I know from first hand experience how much artistry goes into that. I'd love to try my hands on a proper pear brandy. I'd probably go old school with a copper alembic pot still and do a double distillation.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Stich (02-12-2017)
Old 02-13-2017, 11:32 PM   #15
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
I've looked into distilling a bit. I am a chemist by training and distillations were by far my favorite ways to purify chemicals. So, I know from first hand experience how much artistry goes into that. I'd love to try my hands on a proper pear brandy. I'd probably go old school with a copper alembic pot still and do a double distillation.
Pear brandy sounds nice
Those copper alembics are pretty good I hear but shipping prices will nip you in the butt, usually more expensive than the product themselves for some of the lower measurements
Old 02-14-2017, 04:53 PM   #16
_nanonoise_
Analog Lurker
_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold_nanonoise_ is a splendid one to behold
MC Status: 860

I'm also a homebrewer, I think it's quite a popular hobby in Belgium .

we mainly brew Belgian style beers of high fermentation like double, triple, quadruple.. But we've also tried stouts.

Now we will try to make a spontaneously fermented beer (infected with yeast from the environment and then fermented in wooden barrels > 1yr). It should end up somewhat as 'lambic' as it is known here

I would like to try and make wiskey some time but we have no experience in distilling (only from my chemistry courses waybackwhen :p)..

cheers!
_nanonoise_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to _nanonoise_
relic (02-14-2017)
Old 02-19-2017, 07:21 PM   #17
Arexus
Granular Poster
Yuggoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by _nanonoise_ View Post
I'm also a homebrewer, I think it's quite a popular hobby in Belgium .

we mainly brew Belgian style beers of high fermentation like double, triple, quadruple.. But we've also tried stouts.

Now we will try to make a spontaneously fermented beer (infected with yeast from the environment and then fermented in wooden barrels > 1yr). It should end up somewhat as 'lambic' as it is known here

I would like to try and make wiskey some time but we have no experience in distilling (only from my chemistry courses waybackwhen :p)..

cheers!
Cheers! good luck with that, sounds like a big project

Advertisements