Help: Getting a foothold in the sample pack/sound design industry
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 24-01-2017, 03:37 AM   #1
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth
MC Status: 360
Help: Getting a foothold in the sample pack/sound design industry

Alright so I've had this sample pack of mine sitting on my pc for a while now, it's a product of two months of effort but its been sitting here longer than that.
It's one of those gimmicky pbscire/custom genres I suppose to kind of distinguish itself, with that in mind I tried sending it to Samplephonics who, by looking at their catalog and trying out some of their stuff myself, I can tell are kinda suckers for that. Never got anything back. Same with Prime Loops.

It should be noted a little mistake I made was notifying them I had something for them to check out a while before providing the download -- and on retrospect having the demos of the sample pack packaged separately in a zip would look kinda sketchy.

I also ended up signing up for Rightsify and sending them the pack but I never got anything back from them either.

The theme of the sample pack is focused on lo-fi, idm, and synthwave with melancholy tones. (The majority of the provided melody loops are in harmonic minor keys, predominantly a minor)

I hate to think I'm really that bad, but even if I am a little etiquette on these distributor's ends would be nice. If absolutely nothing else I'll just go around and sell the sample pack myself, but like the title states, I'd really like to know how to get a better standing here, at least what I'm specifically doing wrong.

All advice is appreciated, that from those with experience here is valued.

P.S: The sample pack came with a graphic by myself for it, and it uses public domain images as a base for the image. If this is frowned upon for whatever reason, do tell.

Many thanks

Advertisements

Arexus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 03:05 PM   #2
FairyLand INC.
Microknight
FairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud ofFairyLand INC. has much to be proud of
MC Status: 1160
Re: Help: Getting a foothold in the sample pack/sound design industry

How many times did you mail them?

How did you format your email?

Did you reach out tot a generic email address or track down the ppl that ran the company and email them directly?

all of these things weight heavily on whether you will get a response in all walks of life.

I work as a music PR and the inital mailers dont really get any traction unless it is with ppl i know well, it is always the follows up that get the responses...

just a take your original mail, and forward it back to the places with a message like this....

"Hey there, how are you? i know you are busy and all that, but i just wondered if you had had a chance to look at the below email at all? no worries if not! Many thankks....."

Also, take the time to mail the people about other things before you dive in with business, build a relationship first! Say you really dug the sounds in a certain pack? who did them? how did they make them? tell them idly how you make similar stuff etc etc...

tings like that yo...
FairyLand INC. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 02:50 AM   #3
Arexus
Granular Poster
Arexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really niceArexus is just really nice
Yuggoth
MC Status: 360

Thanks for the advice man, I'll take note in the future
For reference I hit up Samplephonics via their facebook page
Arexus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 03:10 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts

The curator of this thread has released packs through Samplephonics before, maybe try shooting him a message on here to see if he can give direct insight on their submission process.

http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=142601

He released a modular pack through them called UNdo or something to that effect so he should definitely have some insight.

Also from what I know Samplephonics has been busy lately totally redesigning their process from individual packs to subscription service with some cloud based plugin thing called NOIIZ. So that could be hurting you as I'm sure their focus is elsewhere at the moment.

Really solid stuff Samplephonics though, good luck!

Edit: Also yeah, as the other poster said, you're definitely going to want to e mail. Hitting a company up like that on Facebook isn't the most professional route one could take in my opinion.

Last edited by RFJ; 25-01-2017 at 04:55 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to RFJ
relic (25-01-2017)