How do I make these drums and this genre / sound
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques Need to know how to make a specific sound? Want to improve your mix? Need advice on micing-up a drum kit? This is the area for you.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Delta010101
Learning The Ropes
Delta010101 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10
How do I make these drums and this genre / sound

Hi all,

Complete newbie question here (ducks for cover). I'm currently listening to these two tracks

Mall Grab - Cant

Mall Grab Happiness

(The forum wont let me post links yet but you can just search in YouTube for them)

I am completely new to production and electronic music genres but could someone breakdown how I might start to go about creating similar sounds. Particularly interested in the drums, etc. Any links to suggested VST's, techniques, technical info, words of wisdom etc greatly appreciated.

Really love the lo-fi, unpolished raw feel of this.

Thanks for your help.

Advertisements

Delta010101 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282484
Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,748 Posts
Re: How do I make these drums and this genre / sound

hi, not sure how new to this you are

can you make the drum patterns youre just wondering about how the get the sound?

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Delta010101
Learning The Ropes

Assume that I know nothing!
It's More to do with achieveing the sound. I am doing online tutorials at the moment around making drums but no idea what plugin / sounds / sample pack I might need to create something similar.

That said if you have links or advice around building the drum pattern happy to hear that also.

Thanks
Old 05-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #4
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Well, that's a pretty generic question.

Suggestion 1: start using the plugins that come with your DAW. Every DAW comes with a sampler and some samples. Start working on the basics. Re-creating a specific sound is tricky and will require in depth familiarity with multiple plugins.

Suggestion 2: listen to some live drum tutorials, search for MIDI patterns of famous drum patterns, such as the Amen break.

Suggestion 3: pick up a good book on drum programming, such as Chris Nothdurfter - #HitIt

Suggestion 4: play around with simple and then increasingly intricate patterns to create a groove, analyze how your favorite tracks do it, re-create the pattern (focusing on the pattern, not so much the sound)

When you've done that and you have the basics down around your sampler, using envelopes, filters, delay, and reverb, we'll be here to help you along further.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:44 PM   #5
Delta010101
Learning The Ropes

Thanks for the tips so far. In terms of the drums from these tracks are they 808s 909s ??

Im just looking to download some sample packs and it would be useful to know if anyone has an idea of what they are. Thanks!
Old 05-01-2017, 11:00 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Doesn't sound like either to me. It's got a muffled transient and some distortion. You could start with a 909 kick, compress the transient or push into a limiter, add a low pass filter, maybe mix in some pink noise.

There is a plugin called Kick 2 that is quite neat for the design of your own kicks.

The low fi synth sounds like a Rhodes with saturation/distortion.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta010101 View Post
Thanks for the tips so far. In terms of the drums from these tracks are they 808s 909s ??

Im just looking to download some sample packs and it would be useful to know if anyone has an idea of what they are. Thanks!
ohhhhh mate I was halfway through writing a hyoooooj thing with screenshots and everything was gonna be mega helpful but my browser crashed... who even knew that was a thing?

I'm not writing that cunt again no way BUT listen youre not gonna get that sound from a sample pack. for a start theyre not 808 or 909 sounds, the kick is maybe but it doesn't actually matter - any weighty kick will do. the hats and stuff probably aren't from a sample pack at all id wager that he sampled most of it. also sample packs are designed to sound nice and his percussion sounds dull and crappy so unless you start degrading the quality, making them mono, reducing a lot of the high end of the hi hats with eq you wont get that sound at all

ive gone and fucked everything up

here, search in ableton '808'
click on the category 'drums'
it should say kit-core 808.adg
double click that so it opens a module up for you

copy this pattern:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

turn the decay on the kick down a lot so its not booming out

this is a very similar drum beat to the one on 'cant'

except it sounds bright and dry and horrible = don't get wrapped up in 808s and 909s for now, just learn what they sound like so you know when you hear them. play around with them!

a big part of his sound is distortion. download this free plugin: [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

youre gonna need it later because the presets will provide you with some of the distortion youre gonna need. try 'hot diode 1' on your entire drum kit. it still sounds shite but now you know where I'm coming from

ALSO LISTEN TO THE FIRST 40 SECONDS OF THIS

now you see that its not a plugin or sample pack that gets you the sound.

god I was doing this properly and really helpfully before. I even have a screenshot called 'swing' that you really need to see but I cba

good luck. p.s maybe try and recreate the tune for something to do. use the distortion plugin on the Alicia keys sample toooo

Last edited by FunkMasterBrown; 05-01-2017 at 11:15 PM.. Reason: any weighty kick will do

------------------
Old 05-01-2017, 11:12 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Doesn't sound like either to me. It's got a muffled transient and some distortion. You could start with a 909 kick, compress the transient or push into a limiter, add a low pass filter, maybe mix in some pink noise.

There is a plugin called Kick 2 that is quite neat for the design of your own kicks.

The low fi synth sounds like a Rhodes with saturation/distortion.
I really don't think hes there yet mate. talking envelopes and transients probably a bit much at this point when hes asking 'how do I lofi house'

------------------
Old 06-01-2017, 11:02 AM   #9
Delta010101
Learning The Ropes

Thanks so much FunkMasterBrown.

That's really kind of you and very very useful.

Plenty to think about and explore. Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated👊👊

If anyone else has nuggets of wisdom, I'm all ears!
Old 06-01-2017, 11:05 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta010101 View Post
Thanks so much FunkMasterBrown.

That's really kind of you and very very useful.

Plenty to think about and explore. Thanks again for your time. Much appreciated����

If anyone else has nuggets of wisdom, I'm all ears!
thats no worries bud!

keep the pattern but try changing out all the sounds. Think about the role of kicks, claps, closed hi hats and open hi hats every time you listen to a house track its dead simple

keep swapping random samples into the pattern I showed you. When you get a sound a bit close to how you like it experiment pitching it up and down, changing the decay, putting small amounts of reverb/distortion/both on it. Use a preset of redux in ableton. Just fuckin experiment brooo!

also look up tutorials on swing in ableton and the using the groove pool. V important for house music... Integral some cunt might even say

Advertisements

------------------