Octatrack as main sequencer: how to set up MIDI Program Change
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Hardware and Gear Hardware, gear, equipment; Whatever you call it, talk about tangible, physical music-making stuff here. Synths, Modular, drum machines, controllers etc all goes here.

Old 02-01-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts
Icon5 Octatrack as main sequencer: how to set up MIDI Program Change

Here is a new frustration due to minimal documentation in TFM:

I would like to trigger pattern changes in the A4 and Rytm via MIDI Program Change messages. Ordinarily, I'd think you set up two MIDI tracks to send to the respective MIDI channels of the A4 and AR, put a trig down and associate the desired Program Change. Thing is, there is no p-lock option for program change, only for CC. The only program change option I can find is in the MIDI note setup page, which per the manual would lead to "the setting made here is sent every time a pattern linked to another part becomes active". That means you can at most have four different program change messages, and only if you use parts (per track, that is).

Has anyone found a good way to sync the dark trinity by using the arranger in the OT and triggering patterns? It seems like such a basic idea. I've read that using song mode in the AR syncs up with the arranger in the OT, but at that point, it seems almost easier to just use Maschine as the arranger and send program change messages from there.

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 06:16 PM   #2
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Re: Octatrack as main sequencer: how to set up MIDI Program Change

My understanding is one midi pc per part (? I am already forgetting the convoluted nomenclature !)
So you can have up to 4 changes per song, at least that's the way I was starting to work.
Which isn't a s restricted as it might initially seem, especially with things like the a4 and using mutes and the fader etc.
As far as actually setting the pc up, I can't remember if it was in the midi tracks or in the arranger.
Actually I am pretty sure it's in the midi track, I just don't really remember.
RTFM I guess

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
liquid_air (03-01-2017)
Old 03-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #3
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny

Yes, you're right. It's beyond me why you can't p-lock program changes. Seems like such a basic need, really.

------------------

Old 03-01-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459058
Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,810 Posts

Midi scenes would be amazing too...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:21 PM   #5
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:36 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Thanks @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
. I had come across this Elektron specific solution. It's great for sequencing the dark trinity, albeit a bit rigid in its 1:1 match.

The problem is then PC to other synths, especially the Avalon. I am not sure this synchronization is actually achieved via a PC message. It seems to be something Elektron specific. I suppose I could try to set the Avalon to the same MIDI channel for PC messages.

I'm a bit too far into the current project to change directions.

------------------

Old 03-01-2017, 08:25 PM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

Er, yeah.
Of course you need the Avalon to be on the same MIDI channel as the one you're sending PC messages on.

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #8
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
Corny

Yeah, what I meant was to have all Elektron devices and the Avalon listen to the same channel.

Advertisements

------------------