Kind of surprised this hasn't been brought up here. I bought it for my wife for Xmas cuz she's a fan. I'm sort of a half-ass fan of Reznor but only like a few songs here and there. I just got the download done for the new ep and I have to say it's pretty good. i really don't know how the guy utilizes his giant wall of modulars and big room full of gear to make these somewhat pedestrian sounds, I mean does it really take that much gear to make what he does? Just curious on that. Anyway, it's not bad at all. The single they have out isn't indicative of the other 4 tracks, it's the noisiest, most inaccessible track.
I was on board until the Steve Vai-esqe wanking and the usual "Trent wants to be a singer" stuff happened, both of which made me giggle and sort of stop paying as much attention. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing besides the fat, busy mids kindly obscuring NIN rock song #273.
90% of his stuff is so rooted in a pop/rock mindset that I just can't get into it. The other 10% where he's really out there and experimenting and playing nice piano and managing not to sing at me, that I can really dig. Ghosts was the only thing in recent history that did much for me as an NIN album, which probably means I'm not all that big a NIN fan anymore. I'll probably buy the EP to have it, but I'm not holding out much hope of it blowing me away.
Listening to it on the way to work. Really digging it for the most part, except for some small moments here and there. A lot of the elements sound like after Alan Vega died Trent went and pulled back out some Suicide for relistening and wanted to capture a part of that sound. Also sounding like he's getting back into more of the low-level melodic composition and sound design. Which I think is great since he's really good at it.
The track with Dave Grohl on drums is excellent. I've given this about ten spins and it's easily the best track imo. Great bass lines all around. I'm on the fence with alot of the vocals, seems like he's keeping those a bit more in the background and letting the instruments be the foreground of the tunes.
I've listened to it 3 times now and I just get into it. And as much as I hate to say it but I think Trent should keep that energy focused into film scoring because I believe his musical aptitude is complimented and accentuated through his scores, Not that NIN is old hat or anything but I believe its not aesthetically doing him any favors.