Help pls: looking for "Berlin style" techno, but not how people normally mean that. :
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-19-2016, 09:03 PM   #1
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes
DruMunkey will become famous soon enough
MC Status: 60
Help pls: looking for "Berlin style" techno, but not how people normally mean that. :

I'm having a hell of a time finding what I'm looking for...

I'm looking for Berlin school inspired techno. Not necessarily what people mean when they say Berlin Techno.

I'm talking Berlin school synth a la 1960-70's (16 note sequences, arps, etc) but then combined with the percussive nature of techno...

Essentially a mashup of something like Tangerine Dream + Ben Klock

I've scored Spotify, etc for a while and I'm just not finding it.

Time, when I listen to old Berlin school synth work, I'm always waiting for the kick to come in! I can't be the only one that sees the connection, so there's gotta be more acts out there that are doing this kind of style.

Advertisements

DruMunkey is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:07 PM   #2
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes
Re: Help pls: looking for "Berlin style" techno, but not how people normally mean tha

I should add, the closest I can kinda find is stuff people would call dub techno (Basic Channel) but that's too much in the dubby land (triplet echos, etc...)... but it's close to the path I'm looking for if that helps...

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts
Re: Help pls: looking for "Berlin style" techno, but not how people normally mean tha

Have you tried looking up all the labels Ben Klock has released on?

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 10:55 PM   #4
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes

Yea, I've trolled those a bit, but most of what I'm finding I too "hard"... what I guess I mean by that is that a lot of modern techno (i.e. 4/4, "classic" techno that people seem to be calling "Berlin" or "dark" techno) has a of distortion elements in it sonic pallet.

I'm looking for a "cleaner" pallet, melodic is the wrong word...

I need a DJ to make me a set of Eno + tangerine dream + Ben klock.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:29 PM   #5
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44910

Not sure I fully get what you're looking for, but thanks for re-kindling my interest in Tangerine Dream. They were well ahead of their time.
Tbh much of the vaunted Berghain stuff can be pretty clean and is more reverb drenched than distorted. The Berlin sound is indeed much centered around that classic synth work. Are you suggesting it lacks The playfulness? The few examples would be nice to provide.

That said, some of the French Old School seems to come close. Laurent Garnier in particular:

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 08:41 PM   #6
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes

Thanks Liquid_Air! That's pretty good (-vocals). The grove around 4:00 is close. I guess what I'm driving at is that old "Berlin School" (vs. Berlin _style_) had this shamanistic-quality being driven by repeating arps and sequences. "Techno" often achieves this via beats with more percussive sounds or bass.

Outside of bass tones (esp. 303/acid), for some reason "techno" (not "house", or "IDM"; for clarity to my point, not as a definition ) seems to not leverage the Berlin School aspects ("melodic arps/ seqs, etc.). At least I've yet to find any good examples.

I guess that's why I'm trying to do what I'm doing and learn how to make music myself since I can't find the sounds in my damn head anywhere else!

Maybe I'm the only one that thinks Tangerine Dream would sound good with sharp kicks and hats...
Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

This is somewhat a long shot, but I have a feeling you might like some stuff on Atom Nation. I wouldn't call most of it straight techno, but check it out. David Douglas' Moon Observations is what got me into the label.

------------------
Old 12-20-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65293646

Last edited by Orchidaceae; 12-20-2016 at 09:37 PM..
Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:37 PM   #9
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes

wow @Orchidaceae! I hope you had those links just lying round and didn't go to that much trouble just for me!!

Thank you!

Good leads. Most seem a little more Ambieant (I know, I'm being impossible!) than what I've got in mind, but some of these are really cool for what they are.

Thanks again!

Gonna follow these leads up. Asura seems cool.
Old 12-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #10
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC

No problem. My pleasure
Old 12-22-2016, 04:36 PM   #11
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp

Try this as well if you get a chance...

Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 PM   #12
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11465804

What are people's thoughts on Surgeon, Regis, those guys?

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness
FACEBOOK FACEBOOK FACEBOOK

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 10:36 PM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I/O_Madness View Post
What are people's thoughts on Surgeon, Regis, those guys?
Surgeon has some choons.

------------------
Old 12-23-2016, 10:39 PM   #14
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming

I actually saw Regis once. I've only kinda been checking out those guys in the last couple years so I'm still deciding how I feel about it, all the Berghain stuff and everything. Some of Surgeon's stuff I like, but other stuff is a little too much just the beat going over and over, but other stuff I like. I did get Surgeon's latest album. Regis was awesome when I saw him. It was this super late totally awesome thing thrown by this collective in Denver where they only let you know where the venue the day of the concert. It was pretty cool tho.

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness
Old 12-23-2016, 10:47 PM   #15
DruMunkey
Learning The Ropes

I LOVE Surgeon. As a follow up, last night I was trolling Spotify, and was REALLY digging some of the Planetary Assult System stuff. He's got some tracks that are almost exactly what I've got in my head. Angel Street is a great example. /watch?v=63E2cbj315Q can't do real links yet. This is YouTube path

Old school synth sounds doing short sequences, banging tempo... perfect.
Thanks to DruMunkey
I/O_Madness (12-23-2016)
Old 12-23-2016, 11:20 PM   #16
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
Wyoming

I really dig From Farthest Known Objects, and his stuff in Trade with Blawan. Blawan is another name I've really dug. i guess he hasn't released any full length albums, but I love his ep's, Why They Hide Their Bodies Under My Garage, Getting Me Down (love that track), What You Do With What You Have. Cool stuff. Crazy underground breaking into warehouse rave stuff.

Advertisements

------------------
music by I/O_Madness

I/O_Madness