Vinyl player
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-19-2016, 11:06 AM   #1
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country
MC Status: 4046897
Vinyl player

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in starting my own (modern) vinyl collection, I'd like to start with choosing a reliable vinyl player, does anyone know which vinyl players are best bang for buck? Which brands offer the best sound?

I'm currently in the process of moving house and I have a spare room to use for music listening with a nice, comfortable set-up and whatnot.

I'm leaning towards a music collection of modern, organic electronic music. Project Mooncircle, Blockhead, Bonobo, Amon Tobin, etc - which player is best suited for this?

Advertisements

------------------
Sammysong is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:27 PM   #2
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022819
Re: Vinyl player

lots of unnecessary information there
technics 1210s will last you forever and they are quality turntables, but it depends on your budget.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 03:33 PM   #3
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Sammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MCSammysong is a savage MC
Bat Country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
lots of unnecessary information there
technics 1210s will last you forever and they are quality turntables, but it depends on your budget.
Thanks for your recommendation, but why would you choose Technics 1210s? Any particular 1210s?

------------------
Old 12-19-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
Mctoast
Savage Mad Cunt
Mctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MCMctoast is a savage MC
MC Status: 38797

I just want one which doesn't instantly wreck the vinyl.

------------------
Mctoast is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Mctoast
Vault O))) (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #5
papo
Microknight
papo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260

I have Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon DC for 8 years now and I'm very happy with it. I think it costs around 400$

------------------
papo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 05:50 PM   #6
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 16760

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
Agreed, I like anything based on the sl-1200. There's a lot of stuff that isn't named the sl-1200, but is based on the same design, and many parts carry over from table to table (at least the electronics). I think they made sl-1300 up to 1800 at one point. I have an sl-d3, and I think the d2 is pretty similar. By moving away from the sl-1200, prices (typically) go down and you can get some interesting features. For instance, I love that the d3 has auto-cuing, meaning I can hit start and just leave the turntable playing, it stops itself and puts the tonearm back when its done. It also cost me about half what a 1200 in similar condition was running in my area at the time.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 06:13 PM   #7
Sammysong
Master of the LFO
Bat Country

Interesting, thank you for your feedback. I'll look into it.

Is it worth it, in general, getting into a vinyl collection of (underground; non-mainstream) electronic music? Or is it too expensive? Or is it worth investing in a quality sound system instead?

------------------
Old 12-19-2016, 06:31 PM   #8
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammysong View Post
Interesting, thank you for your feedback. I'll look into it.

Is it worth it, in general, getting into a vinyl collection of (underground; non-mainstream) electronic music? Or is it too expensive? Or is it worth investing in a quality sound system instead?
I'd say that is probaly a matter of philosophy rather than anything based on facts... You will be spending lots of money and time looking for stuff.

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 07:06 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

I strongly disagree you need to invest in a Technics turntable for home listening. I've been using a $125 belt driven Statson for over five years w/ a decent needle and cartridge and never had an issue.

There is no turntable that is "better" for a particular kind of music, especially if you are just listening.

I enjoying listening to vinyl. It is more expensive. I don't spend a lot on mine. I rarely, RARELY, buy new. I look for weird stuff to sample. Its quite different than just loading up Pandora or putting on an iTunes playlist. I like grabbing a bunch of $1-3 used old dance records and just seeing what cool, old, forgotten bangers I can find : ) I also collect 80s and 90's promo vinyl with instrumental and a cappela b-sides.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
thom (12-19-2016)
Old 12-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
White Noise
Deep Underground
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 16760

I do some stuff that's not super popular, but I wouldn't call any of my collection underground. I got lucky, when I expressed interest, my grandparents gave me their whole collection. Then my parents dug a bunch of their old stuff out. So I have a solid collection of classical, classic rock, country, and some pop from the mid 60s until the mid 80s. I've actually only bought some daft punk and justice albums, I'm thinking I want to get Ratatat and Aphex Twin next. So far, I haven't had to pay more than 30 USD for an album, and I get everything on amazon. Just a matter of waiting for shipping really.
These days, a lot of albums either come with a digital download of the mp3 (Flac or wav if you're lucky) or, in some cases, I've gotten an actual CD packaged in there, albeit in an envelope instead of a case. Sometimes, you get super sweet posters in there too, and the art inside of the album fold is sometimes really neat. For what you pay, new albums are a pretty good deal IMO. I haven't had to go digging for older ones, but if you only pay what you think they're worth, I don't see how you could let yourself make a bad deal.
I think it's mostly a matter of maintaining perspective. Yes, there are $20,000 turntables that are better than yours, and yes, there's a $1000 record cleaning machine that's going to make you wonder if you could get more out of your collection, and it would be pretty sweet if I could afford an original pressing of a mint Beatles album imported from Britain. But, I have a lot of fun with my technics, cleaning my records with bottled water, listening to what I already have. I'm surprised at how little I've spent given how much I could find a reason to spend, but I just don't feel a need to because I'm already having so much more fun than any other way I've listened to music.

------------------
Also, check this out.

White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #11
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse
MC Status: 148360
Thanked 2,967 Times in 1,786 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
just seeing what cool, old, forgotten bangers I can find : ) I also collect 80s and 90's promo vinyl with instrumental and a cappela b-sides.
Yes. That. So much.

It's so nice to buy an unmarked white labelled one, betting a dollar on it being a badass track and it turns out being just that.
thom is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to thom
relic (12-19-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:31 AM   #12
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
thom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MCthom is a savage MC
Nouvelle Franse

For instance I just got this an hour ago...

Fuck
Yeah

The instrumental b-side is so funky it's just filthy.
Thanks to thom
relic (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 04:37 AM   #13
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

yea thom...straight up...most of my stuff is old dnb, scratch/beat/acapella records, and just gernerally obscure forgotten dance music...need to save a 20 and head down to the shop soon!

------------------
Thanks to relic
thom (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 05:09 AM   #14
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
obscure forgotten dance music...
...that needs saving, curating. In my opinion.

I often think of the aging, possibly piss-poor, lonely musicians that worked on this lesser-known, obscure club stuff and think "I wish they knew that someone out there is discovering their stuff, loving it, dancing to it, and thanking them for it."
Thanks to thom
relic (12-20-2016)
Old 12-20-2016, 06:25 AM   #15
relic
IDMf Supporter
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
...that needs saving, curating. In my opinion.

I often think of the aging, possibly piss-poor, lonely musicians that worked on this lesser-known, obscure club stuff and think "I wish they knew that someone out there is discovering their stuff, loving it, dancing to it, and thanking them for it."
I am really bad at digitizng stuff. Need to roll a spliff and have a coffee some Sunday and get to it! I know I have stuff for which there are no longer masters...

------------------
Old 12-20-2016, 06:44 AM   #16
thom
Savage Mad Cunt
Nouvelle Franse

Quote:
I am really bad at digitizng stuff. Need to roll a spliff and have a coffee some Sunday and get to it! I know I have stuff for which there are no longer masters...
I never digitize anything...
Old 12-20-2016, 09:41 AM   #17
taylorfrank
Savage Mad Cunt
taylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MCtaylorfrank is a savage MC
Denver
MC Status: 20112

1200s.

Advertisements

------------------
taylorfrank is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote