Sound Design: Do You Add Unpolished Sounds As A Marker?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 17-12-2016, 12:38 PM   #1
Bluesh1ft
Soundwave Mangler
Bluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud ofBluesh1ft has much to be proud of
In another world, usually
MC Status: 1160
Sound Design: Do You Add Unpolished Sounds As A Marker?

So you can go back later and expand on the generic sound you put there. Anybody else do this, or should I really try something else for my work flow while making a song? Im not talking about sounds that are nearly done... I mean sounds that are on the cheesy side that just in the "ballpark".

Last edited by Bluesh1ft; 17-12-2016 at 01:08 PM..

Advertisements

Bluesh1ft is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 05:36 PM   #2
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17110
Re: Sound Design: Do You Add Unpolished Sounds As A Marker?

for melodic parts, absolutely. during the initial composition stage, i just straight up work with the simplest single voice sine/saw wave patches, maybe with a quick amp envelope adjustment. keeps me from getting distracted by sound design at this stage. after the arrangement is done and i get to orchestration, maybe i'll decide that line is best be played by guitar. so crafting some nice patch would have been a waste of time (or, worse, would influence my decision to keep the patch just because i worked hard on it and not because it suits the track the most).
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
relic (17-12-2016)
Old 17-12-2016, 06:27 PM   #3
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519530
Thanked 6,572 Times in 4,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
for melodic parts, absolutely. during the initial composition stage, i just straight up work with the simplest single voice sine/saw wave patches, maybe with a quick amp envelope adjustment. keeps me from getting distracted by sound design at this stage. after the arrangement is done and i get to orchestration, maybe i'll decide that line is best be played by guitar. so crafting some nice patch would have been a waste of time (or, worse, would influence my decision to keep the patch just because i worked hard on it and not because it suits the track the most).
this can work pretty well, Imalso use this method often

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2016, 07:42 PM   #4
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Yea I'd say you can't go wrong with this method. You can also make some generic patches for each type of sound and just have them in a template for composing. Strings, bass, lead, etc.

you literally can't write a song and design patches at the same time, so I guess you have to prioritize based on what's important for you. If sound design is most important for you, it might make sense to focus on it on the front end and let it shape the composition. And vise versa of course

Personally I like to change up my process frequently as I will give me different results.

------------------
mnkvolcno is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: NCTM y
Old 17-12-2016, 10:03 PM   #5
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8519530
Thanked 6,572 Times in 4,690 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Yea I'd say you can't go wrong with this method. You can also make some generic patches for each type of sound and just have them in a template for composing. Strings, bass, lead, etc.

you literally can't write a song and design patches at the same time, so I guess you have to prioritize based on what's important for you. If sound design is most important for you, it might make sense to focus on it on the front end and let it shape the composition. And vise versa of course

Personally I like to change up my process frequently as I will give me different results.
Spot on. If I care more about melody and harmony I work this way. If I care more about evolving textures I start w sound design.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
Hygro
Microknight
Hygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud ofHygro has much to be proud of
California. No doubt about it.
MC Status: 1160

I find if I don't make the sound I want when the inspiration hits, I'll almost never actually go back. Why would I see it through later when I'm even less inspired?

But if the goal was a certain kind of melody, and the sound doesn't matter as much, then it's fine.
Hygro is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Hygro
Parricide (19-12-2016)
Old 19-12-2016, 12:39 PM   #7
Totem
Regular Freak
Totem has a spectacular aura aboutTotem has a spectacular aura about
MC Status: 160

I give the Region a pink Color, so it hurts my eyes and I have to come back and polish it adequately in the near future.
Totem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:34 PM   #8
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18023919

yea i do this all the time.
i know i want a certain sound in a certain place but i know if i start making that sound it will take me days and i will loose my workflow, so i throw something similar in its place and come back later to design that part.
i wouldnt describe those temporary parts as cheesy though, just whatever is in my samples collection, a preset or basic waveform that is similar to what i want.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #9
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hygro View Post
I find if I don't make the sound I want when the inspiration hits, I'll almost never actually go back. Why would I see it through later when I'm even less inspired?

But if the goal was a certain kind of melody, and the sound doesn't matter as much, then it's fine.
yea this can happen to me. it will almost certainly not be what i originally had in mind, but that doesnt necessarily mean it will be worse than what i originally had in mind. by that time ive forgotten what was originally in my mind anyway XD

------------------
signature loading...
Thanks to Parricide
Hygro (22-12-2016)
Old 19-12-2016, 03:40 PM   #10
Parricide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totem View Post
I give the Region a pink Color, so it hurts my eyes and I have to come back and polish it adequately in the near future.
no need, it will hurt your ears if you dont

Advertisements

------------------
signature loading...