[Post-rock/ Glitch] That field of red flowers is actually a grass fire-'Self-titled'
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM   #1
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Grids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MC
Brisbane
MC Status: 11174
[Post-rock/ Glitch] That field of red flowers is actually a grass fire-'Self-titled'

Free EP through Memories Melt Netlabel.

Chiming guitars that build to walls of epic post-rock with delicate glitches throughout. If you are into stuff like: Explosions in the sky, Mogwai, Hood you might like it.

I am interested to hear your thoughts on the guitars as they were recorded direct in - with freeware amp sims. Something I previously would have shuddered at...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

Last edited by Grids/Units/Planes; 12-05-2016 at 10:30 PM..

Advertisements

------------------
Grids/Units/Planes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Currently Listening To: Thom Yorke, Explosions in the sky
Old 12-05-2016, 04:15 PM   #2
papo
Microknight
papo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the roughpapo is a jewel in the rough
MC Status: 260
Re: [Post-rock/ Glitch] That field of red flowers is actually a grass fire-'Self-titl

The guitars sound amazing. I Love this track

------------------
papo is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #3
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15810
Re: [Post-rock/ Glitch] That field of red flowers is actually a grass fire-'Self-titl

guitars sound great to me. love this kind of stuff and I'm working on my first album that will have a lot of the same elements - post rock guitar, glitches, foley (your last name is Foley? how awesome is that, haha).

but why so short? curious how you decide when just one idea is enough for the whole piece for you and when it's a part of a bigger entity. this genre lends itself to longer tracks, i think. tempos are slow, things need time to develop and build up.

in any case, great work. really enjoyed listening to this.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:57 PM   #4
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Grids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MCGrids/Units/Planes is a savage MC
Brisbane

Cheers for the kind words. In regards to length - I personally find I just don't have the attention span for massive post rock tracks anymore. I kinda like exploring post-rock dynamics but in a condensed time frame. Anyway that's just my feel at the moment but I understand why you prefer the longer length (GYBE used to be my favourite band).

------------------
Old 12-05-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 15810

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grids/Units/Planes View Post
Cheers for the kind words. In regards to length - I personally find I just don't have the attention span for massive post rock tracks anymore. I kinda like exploring post-rock dynamics but in a condensed time frame. Anyway that's just my feel at the moment but I understand why you prefer the longer length (GYBE used to be my favourite band).
yeah, i totally get that. struggling with the same thing myself and sometimes i really wish that i could just let one idea stand on its own and move on. but then i stop myself because i think i'm just being lazy. yet at the same time, i really love those old Ben Sharp (Cloudkicker) releases from his myspace days where it's just a dozen 2-minute loops of a lot of guitar layering with some very basic drums. so i dunno...

listened to 'In Droves' and really enjoyed that one as well. great stuff.
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:26 AM   #6
Artificer
Soundscaper
Artificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MCArtificer is a savage MC
Southern Hell
MC Status: 16010

This is lovely. It's like Glitch Mob remixed Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place. I think you've really nailed the combination. It's off beat and pretty and a little weird.

My only comment about the posted track is that the staccato processed guitars (at least what I assume were guitars) gets a little tired about half way through. I was waiting for a change than never really came. You crescendo around the 2:30 mark, but it was just a more layered, louder version of the same. I'd have liked to have heard a bit of tonal variation there.

I think Tides and Torrents from the s/t really pegs it for me. It's got a bit of everything you're doing, I loved the dynamics, and especially liked how the glitchly bits created the dynamics and movement. It also happens in a really short time frame, which is great.

Care to talk a bit about the freeware amp sim process?
Artificer is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #7
Grids/Units/Planes
IDMf Artist
Brisbane

Thanks for the kind words -
Here is the chain I used for most tracks:

Fender Tele
Fast Track Pro (into Reaper)
ReaGate (with a long release) to get rid of unwanted hiss
Feedback Compressor
Emissary VST (input at 1/4 mark and also lowered the highs, raise the mids) This VST is good for bright cleans or super overdriven parts.
LeCab - using 'Telos mini free IR' is my go-to (also roll off some of the high end)
I often added Ambience VST or Sanford Reverb before the cab for long verb and then one of them AFTER thecab to give it more of a room sound.
I often used DLA VST - AFTER the cab (I just find that it brings out the clarity more in the delays)
Reaper EQ (notch a few fizzy frequencies and take out the muddy bass)

In the fuzzier parts I used Facebender VST.
In a few spots I used Azurite (on the lowest chorus setting possible)
Sometimes I used one of the free tubescreamer emulation VSTs before the cab for the distorted lead parts.

Once or twice I used another amp VST from Lepou's plugins.

For the kit sounding Drums I used this free drumkit VSTi [Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]

I put Ambience VST after it.

Anyway that's it. Cheers.

Advertisements

------------------

[Post-rock/ Glitch] That field of red flowers is actually a grass fire-'Self-titled' Tags
amp modeling, free, glitch, netlabel, post-rock