Remastering with Audacity?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 12-02-2016, 08:24 PM   #1
HexPhosphorus
Analog Lurker
HexPhosphorus will become famous soon enoughHexPhosphorus will become famous soon enough
Chicago, Los Angeles, Madison, and Portland Oregon.
MC Status: 110
Icon5 Remastering with Audacity?

So....While I am proud of my work considering it was made in my first year of self taught mixing as an experiment, I am feeling a little sheepish about the poor quality of the mastering/remastering in the version I uploaded to Tunecore.

I had someone staying with me here who is not a fan of Industrial or Metal of any kind. We agree on some punk, some electronic, and she likes pop and Indie Rock.....So I did all of my remastering only with headphones, in a hurry, and she wouldn't let me focus and work. lol.....Yep, its all her fault....Not really. I probably just don't know what the fuck I am doing at this stage after the songs have been rendered, especially after I lost many of the stems with a failed hard drive.

I would like to *replace* my first album with an updated version, though most likely I will just have to re-release it as a remastered 2 volume album.....But I don't want to be releasing the same stuff 5x, so I want to do it right so that it sounds great before I re-release.

I realized that I did such a horrible job with the remastering, having listened to it only on 1 single pair of cheap DJ/Studio-ish headphones and not over speakers or consumer grade gear, that it actually sounded better before I messed with it.

With my older tracks with the lost stems, before I need how to reduce the risk of this, the sound is OK on good gear at full volume into the red (and past it on 32 bit float), and then there is clicking in some places as I lower the volume to -1 decibel in 16-bit wav. This happened on some songs more than others. DC Offset remover made it worse and Auto-Phaser filling the noise to 0-decibles makes it better.

A few tracks had drowned out drums and muddy bass. I am more cautious with this now. Its easier to dull than to sharpen sometimes. I compensated for this by using low and high pass filters and a vocal remover to isolate the beats as best I could, enhance them, then re-layer over the modified 16-bit wav file. In some cases I have made the rest of the audio sound duller than it did in the unedited version.

I am doing most of this in Linux with free software. I can theoretically get some software (which I can't afford this month unless its a trial version) working on a windows partition or with virtualization, but I am mostly using Audacity and LMMS.

I would be open to getting help with remastering if anyone wants to volunteer, maybe for a small royalty on the next release and/or for a small tip or trade.

I think I need a crash course in remastering the kind of music that I make without making it sound worse.

This is what I did (and how I messed it up).

Advertisements

------------------
HexPhosphorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:37 AM   #2
Vault O)))
Master of the LFO
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 13460
Re: Remastering with Audacity?

Hire a ME, for sure.

Most people don't have this dilemma because they're not rushing to put things out before they're finished.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:51 AM   #3
HexPhosphorus
Analog Lurker
HexPhosphorus will become famous soon enoughHexPhosphorus will become famous soon enough
Chicago, Los Angeles, Madison, and Portland Oregon.
MC Status: 110
Re: Remastering with Audacity?

I deserve that.

What are your rates for something like this?

Advertisements

------------------
HexPhosphorus is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote

Remastering with Audacity? Tags
aggrotech, audacity, idm, industrial, lmms