projects fade away to oblivion
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Old 30-11-2016, 12:31 AM   #1
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410
projects fade away to oblivion

as they get pushed out of "recently opened" list ...

Advertisements

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #2
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1532077
Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,207 Posts
Re: projects fade away to oblivion

same. i totally relate.

the ones that are "keepers" get put in a different folder w all of the presets, samples, assets, etc for further development.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 03:28 AM   #3
envelope3
IDMf Supporter
envelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond reputeenvelope3 has a reputation beyond repute
ottawa
MC Status: 7610

I can also relate. But I really believe it is nice to try and wrap up eras of your creativity if you can. They are all going to be unique and if for nothing other than yourself will always time stamp where you were at the time.
envelope3 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
Vault O)))
Eternal Echoer
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 34210

Start from the oldest and harvest some samples for later use.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #5
Jaded
Total mad cunt
Jaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MCJaded is a savage MC
MC Status: 6901659
Thanked 3,449 Times in 2,088 Posts

Doesn't Windows have something like smart folders and file tagging? I just tag everything and have a bunch of smart folders to view all my different types of project files. So I can see all my tracks, jams, loops etc. And filter by recents, not recents (not opened in last three months) last year, favourites, by genre, by client (for pro services), project type (design, composition, score, etc).

Not really difficult if you come up with a tagging taxonomy and stick to it.
Jaded is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Jaded
LichLord (30-11-2016)
Old 30-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #6
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

I have a dedicated SSD in my Workstation purely for projects, samples and recordings (and another SSD dedicated to plugins and Kontakt Libraries) and I keep them organised by year. When I go through projects, I make sure I save the following assets for future use:
- MIDI Scores of interesting/Usuable Notation in a dedicated location.
- All recordings dedicated to projects are archived in a dedicated location.
- WAV Stem exports on my newer projects for future sampling in a dedicated holding folder.

Its quite useful as it means I can clone & drive swap if my Project SSD ever dies and gets replaced and have no weird conflicting issues on older projects and I have an organised central location where I can pull old assets into new projects without having to browse through a jungle of folders. Just means that old projects will never be fully abandoned, but recycled for the greater good. I've got a couple of projects going on at the moment where I've used MIDI Scores from old 2012 projects which I never finished and put their best assets to good use.

Also doesn't hurt to have a powershell script to backup the entire partition to an archive drive once a week

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:21 AM   #7
Eddddt
Minor Glitch
Eddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I have pretty much accepted that if I don't stick with a song to completion, it is likely not going to get finished. This is just part of my process. I've noticed that some ideas, while they are solid ideas, they just don't take hold of me the way a song that I end up finishing does. I can't force the inspiration or motivation to commit to a track, it just has to be fun and interesting enough to keep me engaged. I've gone back into my vault a few times and listened to things for inspiration and grabbed a riff here and there, but once it's got that dust on it, that seems to be it.
Eddddt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:01 PM   #8
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,429 Times in 1,895 Posts

how is this an actual problem

Advertisements

fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote