300 to spend - UVI Falcon or Hardware synth
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 11-21-2016, 08:59 PM   #1
Opium
Microknight
Opium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud ofOpium has much to be proud of
Strasbourg, France
MC Status: 1210
300 to spend - UVI Falcon or Hardware synth

Hello guys !
I need a little piece of advice here,
In two days it's my birthday (yay happy birthday to me!), and I'd like to make a little gift to myself.
I'm considering two options at the moment : the UVI Falcon or a low priced hardware synth (a Waldorf Blofeld probably). Until now, I've been working with a lot of different stuffs, and I have to confess, a few cracked softwares (err...).

But I've come to a point where I feel that I would really benefit from buying stuff, mostly because I never use the cracked software like I should : I spend a few hours testing things and then I leave it aside. It reminds me of the way you would play cracked videogames vs the one you buy. So I've bought a license for uhe Diva and got the Slate Digital monthly plan for mixing stuffs. I also own a Maschine and the Komplete Select.
Now I'd like to get rid of my 5 or 6 cracked VST, and I'm looking for an intelligent way to replace them.

That's why I'm thinking about buying and hardware synth or the UVI Falcon.
The first choice is attracting me because I feel that having physical knobs and limited possibilities would be a good thing to craft a more personal sound, but I'm afraid that the limitation in terms of sonic possibilities would block me and make me go back to my old bad habits.

The choice of the UVI Falcon would cover absolutly any of my needs, but that I might get frustrated a bit it would be another round of pointing and clicking with the mouse. The good thing is that I'm not afraid to really get myself into all the advanced synthesis options offered by the soft as I would have paid a very high price for it. Reading the f**ing manual would even be fun for me.

I'd really love to have your thoughts about it. I know there is no absolute option, but regarding my needs, which would be the best ?

Thank you anyone for the answer.

PS: don't bash me for cracked VST shit I've been in, I guess we all need to start with something !

Advertisements

------------------
Opium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:44 PM   #2
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022719
Re: 300 to spend - UVI Falcon or Hardware synth

only you can really answer that question, but it seems to me like you are swaying towards a hardware synth already, but maybe i read it wrong idk.

for me it would be falcon, i dont mind working ITB and falcon is an absolute beast. the feel of having physical knobs can easily be achieved using a MIDI controller too. (but there will of course always be some clicking with a mouse involved at some point).

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 PM   #3
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269445208
Thanked 2,432 Times in 1,660 Posts

The Blofeld is a beauty, sounds great, and has a nice programming matrix so I would vote for it

BUT

it's digital, I;m not dissing digital, I love my Blofeld, but if you're fine in the VST realm, I would look at something different, maybe an analog synth with a few more knobs, for a different character and for that extra human feel.

The Mopho is in that price range 2nd hand, but programming it is a bit of a pain, but you might look into the newer Korg Volcas, or a Novation Bass Station2...

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:35 AM   #4
Eddddt
Minor Glitch
Eddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I'm actually looking at ordering my first hardware synth pretty soon. I'm looking at the Arturia Microbrute. I don't know much about these things but from youtube demos it sounds absolutely awesome and apparently you can patch it into other analog equipment so I can expand with it down the road. If you aren't familiar with it, I'd suggest looking into it. It is also very affordable here in the US ~$300
Eddddt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 07:14 AM   #5
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23160

Normally I'd recommend demoing it first, but Falcon apparently still has no such thing. I've been lusting over it for a while, but it's a little steep to blindly jump into without even a 10-minute self-destructing standalone at the very least. Also, from a simple google search it looks like the manual is pretty tiny compared to what you'd expect. Maybe that's changed, maybe not.

------------------
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vault O))) View Post
Normally I'd recommend demoing it first, but Falcon apparently still has no such thing. I've been lusting over it for a while, but it's a little steep to blindly jump into without even a 10-minute self-destructing standalone at the very least. Also, from a simple google search it looks like the manual is pretty tiny compared to what you'd expect. Maybe that's changed, maybe not.
yea that sucks. its a bit much for them to expect people to make a purchase like that

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 08:59 PM   #7
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8513630
Thanked 6,454 Times in 4,616 Posts

Its hard to calculate how much "mileage" anyone will really get out of any given instrument (software or otherwise). On paper software is likely to give you the most possibilities, then digital hardware, then analog hardware (I'm speaking in your price range of course).

I think having a hardware synth, for an electronic musician, is great if you can afford it. Its worth trying it out to see how it changes your creativity.

If there is anyway you could save another 200 the Korg Minilogue seems to offer quite a bit at the price range. Not sure you'll find a deal on a used as they are still quite new.

I owned a Volca Keys and was not a fan of its sound. I know there are a couple ways to get chords out of the Volca Bass and many people prefer it overall. I was also a MicroBrute owner, which I loved initially, but found that at least I couldn't coax very many different sounds out of it. A combination of the raw oscillator sounds and the filter just ended up being pretty same-ish to my ear and there were not many sweet spots the filter or the any of the other tone shaping parameters. It does have the modular patching aspect, but that wasn't enough to encourage me to keep it around.

You might actually be able to score a Mopho Keys for 400 ish used if you have access to a decent used synth market.

My feeling is that 300 is a 100 or 200 euro shy of any synth you'll likely to fall in love with and want to keep around for a long time. That being said, member @[Only registered and activated users can see links. Click here to register]
, makes really great use out of a lot of boxes like the Volcas.

You might also consider an UltraNova or MiniNova. I'd vote for the UltraNova personally as it is bigger and has more hands on control. I was able to get one for a mere $365 US. Quite a bit under the hood there.

Last edited by relic; 12-09-2016 at 04:02 AM..

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
Parricide (12-09-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 08:14 PM   #8
Metaside
Sample Destroyer
Metaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond reputeMetaside has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 4260

Falcon is great, probably the most flexible synth I have ever used, but not the best usability imho... I think if your concern is that you "might get frustrated a bit" and if you are thinking about stuff like usability, programming speed and learning curve, maybe it is not the best option, at least in the short run. I know I got frustrated with Falcon a few times in the beginning, when I didn't understand why I can't use this effect on that keyzone or why an assigned modulation that I can clearly see doesn't change the sound at all... and all the scrolling... However, when you get used to the architecture and personality, Falcon is a great synth with lots of possibilities... I especially like the IRCAM and analog oscillators (but the wavetable osc feels a bit restricted compared to Serum, Icarus or Avenger).

Advertisements

------------------
Metaside is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote