Telefon Tel Aviv - Josh Eustis - Resident Advisor Podcast
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 12-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.
MC Status: 199644118
Thanked 4,897 Times in 3,160 Posts
Telefon Tel Aviv - Josh Eustis - Resident Advisor Podcast

So Josh Eustis aka benelli3000 is carrying on with Telefon Tel Aviv after the death of his song writing partner Charlie Cooper. Hopefully he'll do some shows and some heads around here will catch one. Anyway it's a stellar interview where he talks about everything from touring to process.

Watch your jaw drop when he mentions the IDMforums at about the 35 or 36 min mark. Somewhere in there, maybe just before or after. It's brief and slightly derogatory but he mentions us never the less...

Advertisements

------------------
RFJ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 11:20 AM   #2
Orchidaceae
will-o'-the-wisp
Orchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MCOrchidaceae is a savage MC
MC Status: 65294446
Re: Telefon Tel Aviv - Josh Eustis - Resident Advisor Podcast

There's also a reprint of the classic available at the moment...

Orchidaceae is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 03:45 AM   #3
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175460
Thanked 3,509 Times in 2,619 Posts

"emotionally manipulative"?. What's that even mean? Come on, isn't all music supposed to elicit some sort of emotional response by its very nature?

I guess it's true that success can bring out both the best and the worst in people.

Now, please excuse me..I have to try and get this tar off before it sets.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2016, 03:47 AM   #4
RFJ
IDMf Artist
RFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MCRFJ is a savage MC
I live in California.

Get over yourselves.

------------------
Thanks to RFJ
deadmau7 (20-12-2016)
Old 16-11-2016, 04:15 AM   #5
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

I second everything Mike just said..it's the way he just spat it out..like this place is totally like that, without qualifying what he said about the forum. I mean, come on..how is it fair to say something like that, when most of the guys and girls on here are still learning they craft? Anyone who has ever visited here would know that most artists here are still growing and developing their styles and sounds in general.

Like I said, music by its very nature brings out an emotional response. I think it's basically a poor choice of words on his part.

------------------
Old 16-11-2016, 07:11 AM   #6
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

You guys both raise valid points. Any you're right, the remark was flippant and could have used some clarification as opposed to just tossing it out there without any backing. I'm probably biased because I've always really liked his music so maybe in my mind it was a bit of a can do no wrong type situation. I don't know, I don't think it's that really.

I don't think it's likely he's even heard any of my stuff or any of the stuff from the current member base so in that regard it didn't mean anything to me other than - he said IDMforums, cool. I guess that's what I meant by my get over it reply. He's not talking about you, or me, or anyone specific. Just making a general comment I'd say more about certain music (no idea what it would be because he didn't clarify) that's not even based on what we do here.

Last time he logged on was in Aug so maybe he's due for a return and he'll pop in and backpedal...or not.

------------------
Old 16-11-2016, 08:45 AM   #7
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

Cuz NIN isn't emotionally manipulative at all is it?

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 06:11 AM   #8
RFJ
IDMf Artist
I live in California.

^Forgot you had made that post and meant to reply a few days ago but you raise a highly valid point right there.

------------------
Old 21-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #9
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Oh I'm not deadly serious or anything, and I do like some NIN albums too, and he's not playing with them anymore so far as I know and he's probably right anyway, but it's just his opinion.
Whatevs.

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
Thanks to lolirl
A.M (21-11-2016)
Old 19-12-2016, 08:41 AM   #10
benelli3000
Knob Twiddler
benelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MCbenelli3000 is a savage MC
Los Angeles
MC Status: 6398019

I rarely post here - and you all can take what you want from this.

Listen carefully to the words spoken before (and after) I said that I heard some borderline uninspired emotionally manipulative music on this forum - which I did, I'm not backpedaling - and you'll hear that I accuse TTA of being guilty of this exact same thing. So, to quote RFJ - get over yourselves.

1) If you get butt hurt when people (potentially) critique your music then get out of music now because you will crater when you release your first record, just trust me

2) If you think music is only about eliciting an emotional response from a listener, then you are probably guilty of making music that is emotionally manipulative, and I probably won't like it, and I'll probably feel that way until you expand your narrow view of what the purpose of music is

3) If you aren't prolific enough to satisfy yourself, then you have to work more/harder and be willing to starve for it. kinda like I have since I split with NIN and for the 18 years leading up to that

4) Relax, we're all on the same team. I've been torched so much harder by fucknuts on this forum than my very gentle criticism of *some* of the music I heard by people here, everyone please chill

hi RFJ and hi Benwaa

xx

J

------------------
benelli3000 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:03 AM   #11
GomesR
IDMf Supporter
GomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MCGomesR is a savage MC
MC Status: 71074
Thanked 1,170 Times in 717 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benelli3000 View Post

hi GomesR

xx

J
Whoa

------------------
GomesR is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to GomesR
I/O_Madness (11-01-2017)
Old 19-12-2016, 09:12 AM   #12
lolirl
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by benelli3000 View Post
I rarely post here - and you all can take what you want from this.

Listen carefully to the words spoken before (and after) I said that I heard some borderline uninspired emotionally manipulative music on this forum - which I did, I'm not backpedaling - and you'll hear that I accuse TTA of being guilty of this exact same thing. So, to quote RFJ - get over yourselves.

1) If you get butt hurt when people (potentially) critique your music then get out of music now because you will crater when you release your first record, just trust me

2) If you think music is only about eliciting an emotional response from a listener, then you are probably guilty of making music that is emotionally manipulative, and I probably won't like it, and I'll probably feel that way until you expand your narrow view of what the purpose of music is

3) If you aren't prolific enough to satisfy yourself, then you have to work more/harder and be willing to starve for it. kinda like I have since I split with NIN and for the 18 years leading up to that

4) Relax, we're all on the same team. I've been torched so much harder by fucknuts on this forum than my very gentle criticism of *some* of the music I heard by people here, everyone please chill

hi RFJ and hi Benwaa

xx

J
That's cute man, thanks for rehashing it.
I don't think anyone was that bothered tbh.
Most people here are hardened fucknuts anyway.
Benwaa ditched the forum some time back now.
I hope you have a nice Holiday period.
Old 19-12-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
fidelium
IDMf Artist
fidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MCfidelium is a savage MC
\(_o)/
MC Status: 2147483647
Thanked 3,441 Times in 1,900 Posts

josh you killed it at hyperbole. thanks for being so welcoming and letting me check out your rig. really enjoyed talking to you. truly a great artist and hope to meet up with you again soon.

i'll never forget some of the things you told me about how you experience music and sound in time.

and yeah this forum has a hard time gettting over itself sometimes. i swear most of us mean well. cheers and thanks again.

wayne
fidelium is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 09:09 PM   #14
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

Wth does emotionally manipulative mean?
Edit: as in music, not crazy people, I guess

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #15
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42384799
Thanked 5,016 Times in 3,267 Posts

So many Voight-Kampff failers on this thread

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Roo Stercogburn
A.M (20-12-2016)
Old 19-12-2016, 11:18 PM   #16
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105850
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
I always preferred Turing.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 04:34 AM   #17
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stercogburn View Post
Oh..sneaky.

------------------
Old 20-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #18
deadmau7
IDMf ArtistModerator
deadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MCdeadmau7 is a savage MC
MC Status: 175275340
Thanked 2,682 Times in 1,908 Posts

I'm not being touchy or defensive, I have no reason to care, but what is emotionally manipulative in terms of music? To me that honestly sounds like a very developed but fabricated viewpoint.

If you think something is emotionally manipulative, how do you know it's not just "expessing" a different "emotion"?

How can you know if something is "inspired" or not just by listening to it? Just because you listen to something and go "well this is emotionally manipulative" how can you know that this person has a "narrow view on music" and such things?

This seems like a way to demonise music that isn't to your particular taste. Which is fine, but I want to know if that's the case or not. Fuck does it even mean? 'Cos right not it just sort of sounds like pretentious buzzwords.
deadmau7 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 02:25 PM   #19
Roo Stercogburn
IDMf SupporterIDMf ArtistAdministrator
Roo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MCRoo Stercogburn is a savage MC
On horseback
MC Status: 42384799
Thanked 5,016 Times in 3,267 Posts

Music exists to elicit an emotional response. They even write that above doorways to music departments in schools. While schools aren't always correct, this one thing I think is pretty much nail on head.

I'd suggest it's only an issue when a piece descends into the mawkish or is overly heightened in a direction that makes it cloying, perhaps where the originator is unable to express genuineness or lacks the skill to make it feel real.

Some might say there are types of music that deliberately aim for a lack of emotion, Kraftwerk being a good example, but even there though the content may be deliberately mechanised, the aim is still to elicit an emotional response in the listener. It's very telling that we still describe it in terms of emotion, even though we are describing the 'lack'. Emotion still forms the frame of reference.

Industrial music often falls into the same area I just described above, usually attempting to express anger or emptiness.

One of the things I find about a lot of mainstream music is they only focus on love because that's the easy one for sales and promotion. Mawkish cloying shite ensues.

------------------
Roo Stercogburn is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #20
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 59310
Thanked 1,186 Times in 789 Posts

I also fail to see how music can be emotionally manipulative. To me it either expresses the (hopefully) intended emotions well or not or it exists to fulfil some sort of function. But even then the function is usually to elicit some sort fo emotion.
How can this be manipulative? Manipulation to me includes the element of deception and I do not quite understand how that applies to music.
So I would like to know what was meant by that description.

Last edited by professurreal; 20-12-2016 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: typo

Advertisements

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote