underwhelming MS20 (mini)?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 10-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #1
Emmanuel G.
Analog Lurker
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110
underwhelming MS20 (mini)?

Hi everyone, so in regards to the title, I'd like to say that I have been underwhelmed by the MS20 mini...
at first!

Now this message is for anyone doubting whether or not they should get one, and also for all who got one and for some reason ended up not using it.

I now use mine in pretty much all of my tracks in one way or another, but at first, when it got home, I was underwhelmed and a little angry at myself that I spent that much money on that one synth.

No matter what I did, I always ended up with that "signature" sound, it was so obvious, I wondered why did I get a synth that only did "that sound" (also a little bit of noticeable noise) ?

I stuck with it for a while, it didn't get any better at first, but I guess I didn't want to go through the hassle of selling it and I was also thinking "if all these artists have so much love for this synth, I must be missing something". So I kept trying, looking for ways to use it for anything.

Without even realizing it, I found myself, very often, going back to the MS20 whenever it seemed I was stuck in a track, and for some reason, the MS20 always seemed to provide a solution. Whether all on its own, within its own architecture, often without any or very little patching.

And the more gear I had, the more it became not only useful, but also extremely versatile and a great overall toolbox. Either to sonically compliment other synths, or as an external processor, or even a sub oscillator for another synth (I love using the MS20 and mother 32 together for a single bassline, they don't talk the same CV dialect for pitch, but they both talk midi)

So the MS20 does "the MS20" very well, of course, but I found it it could do so many more things, at times it could even pass as a moog or something entirely alien, even on its very own. But when you give it friends to play with, I think, for myself, it's probably one of the very most important pieces of gear I've ever had.

I'm very glad Korg did that reissue, I'm very glad they added midi and usb, and I'm very grateful to be able to go in my home studio and see it sitting there in good place.

The MS20 is a hell of a synth, a definite part of music history, so inspiring.

if you're thinking of getting one, definitely get one
if you have one and it's sitting in a corner, get it back, use it, learn it, and you'll probably keep it for the rest of your life. It does have a learning curve, or maybe it just needs you to give it its chance.

It's a little bit like some sort of semi-ugly "girl next door" girlfriend, who's amazing in bed, as well as the best person to hang out with.

Much love to the MS20 <3

Advertisements

Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
Psychotronic
Digital Surfer
Psychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MCPsychotronic is a savage MC
MC Status: 18197
Re: underwhelming MS20 (mini)?

I agree.

------------------
\(シ)/ Soundcloud | Twitch
Psychotronic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 12:42 AM   #3
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 17660

I need to find the money for one of these...

------------------
mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:38 AM   #4
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1524777
Thanked 1,731 Times in 1,128 Posts

i fully intend to purchase the Arp Odyssey module when it comes out. I've spent time w the Keyboard and I feel the same way about it as you mentioned. It does the Arp Odyssey really well. It can be a little fickle but knowing what you're going to get out of it is all part of it. No patch storage so one has to really be acquainted with what it does well and where one might want to go elsewhere for certain things.

Loads of character.

Glad to hear that you stuck with the MS20 and that it has grown on you, sexist remark aside.

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 04:19 AM   #5
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525320

Thanks for the insight
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #6
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 150360
Thanked 3,007 Times in 2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
i fully intend to purchase the Arp Odyssey module when it comes out. I've spent time w the Keyboard and I feel the same way about it as you mentioned. It does the Arp Odyssey really well. It can be a little fickle but knowing what you're going to get out of it is all part of it. No patch storage so one has to really be acquainted with what it does well and where one might want to go elsewhere for certain things.

Loads of character.

Glad to hear that you stuck with the MS20 and that it has grown on you, sexist remark aside.

I'd be really interested in hearing your thoughts on it, if and when you do get one.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:24 PM   #7
ebben
Learning The Ropes
ebben is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Do you guys think the MS20 mini would be a good first synth? I've only been using software so far and want to get some hardware. Seems like the MS20 is a great synth but would it be good for someone with little experience with hardware?
ebben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:29 PM   #8
mute machine
無意味なネクタイ
mute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MCmute machine is a savage MC
a garden with a cassette player
MC Status: 17660

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebben View Post
Do you guys think the MS20 mini would be a good first synth? I've only been using software so far and want to get some hardware. Seems like the MS20 is a great synth but would it be good for someone with little experience with hardware?
no, if I were to recommend a beginner synth, I would recommend the microbrute, not that I like it more, but it is probably the best you could get for a beginner in synthesis, or musicmaking in general...

------------------
mute machine is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #9
ebben
Learning The Ropes
ebben is on a distinguished road
MC Status: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mute machine View Post
no, if I were to recommend a beginner synth, I would recommend the microbrute, not that I like it more, but it is probably the best you could get for a beginner in synthesis, or musicmaking in general...
Thanks, I'll look into it. It's cheaper at least which is good for my bank account
ebben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 08:57 PM   #10
Emmanuel G.
Analog Lurker
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebben View Post
Thanks, I'll look into it. It's cheaper at least which is good for my bank account
The new korg monologue may be very very good too, for a similar price.

the MS20 as a first synth, why not, but you will feel much more limited at first. even the mini doesn't quite feel like a modern instrument.

The modern analog synths are much easier to use from the get go
but the MS20 is something special, I don't ever see myself parting with it.

Advertisements

Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote