SUBPAC: Can I use it for mixing? Does it translate? Can I get smaller monitors?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 10-24-2016, 12:27 PM   #1
Dhji
Knob Twiddler
Dhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MCDhji is a savage MC
Victoria, BC
MC Status: 66546
Icon4 SUBPAC: Can I use it for mixing? Does it translate? Can I get smaller monitors?

My biggest fear about having monitors is being able to use them in a shared accommodation rental. I have brought and returned multiple pairs because I get excited but then remember that my rental situation is prone to change because sadly, that's how rentals work. Sometimes you need to move for whatever reason, or they bring their relatives in, or like my last rental - I had to move because the couple that owned the house broke up!

But I am absolutely sold on using monitors for mixing. They are SO much more forgiving as opposed to headphones which fatigue my ears despite being open back. The problem with monitors is that I'm not the only person who can feel the sub frequencies...

Then I heard about SUBPAC and the first most important question I have is: Does it translate to better mixes? Is it reliable?

If I get the SUBPAC, does this mean I can finally get a pair of monitors that don't have to be 8"s? Does this mean I can get a smaller pair (like 4") and have the SUBPAC REPLACE a subwoofer? The frequency response for the SUBPAC is 5hz-130hz. How does it perform the pitch of 130hz?

Ultimately I will be taking my music to a studio, but I want to work with a setup that will develop my ears to the FULL SPECTRUM.

...My hopes are very, very high

Advertisements

------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I don't know either man. I kinda feel like things are heading towards talking about our feels...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blingley View Post
So, this is the time to confess my unrequited love for Dhji?
Dhji is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 05:48 PM   #2
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160
Re: SUBPAC: Can I use it for mixing? Does it translate? Can I get smaller monitors?

subpac is just a gimmik a bit on the same idiea as beats by dre thats it its just a toy dont bother with it.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2016, 05:29 PM   #3
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022819
Re: SUBPAC: Can I use it for mixing? Does it translate? Can I get smaller monitors?

i havent tried one myself, so my opinion is based on my gut feeling, thus probably useless and i probably shouldnt even be replying, however.

i cant imagine one effectively replacing a sub, especially for monitoring. they are probably good for a novelty movie watching experience or something, but i wouldnt recommend one for monitoring.

what exactly is the problem with moving house when you own monitors? is it the transport from one place to another?

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 05:01 AM   #4
agent
Deep Underground
agent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MCagent is a savage MC
SEATTLE
MC Status: 525470

Many popular producers and DJs swear by it (popular as in dada life, Ritchie Hawtin etc...)

However not sure if they got paid to say so

I've been interested in one as well and I think, just like monitors or a studio you'll still need a lot of reviewing pro tunes through it as a reference before you understand how it translates to your music in the real world
agent is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 08:13 AM   #5
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46079964
Thanked 1,226 Times in 826 Posts

R. Hawtin:

“By introducing the physical dimension of sound, the SubPac creates a direct connection between the fan and the music in its purest form, allowing a deeper appreciation for the music we all love.”

Sounds like a very consumer-oriented device. You can produce on consumer gear, sure, but it takes a lot of experience to get results as proper as if they were done on flat-response monitors.

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 01:16 PM   #6
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 44960

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parricide View Post
i havent tried one myself, so my opinion is based on my gut feeling, thus probably useless and i probably shouldnt even be replying, however.

i cant imagine one effectively replacing a sub, especially for monitoring. they are probably good for a novelty movie watching experience or something, but i wouldnt recommend one for monitoring.

what exactly is the problem with moving house when you own monitors? is it the transport from one place to another?
How close does it come to the sensation produced by a massive kick in a club with a proper sound system? I don't go out any more but I miss that sensation.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 06:48 AM   #7
Parricide
Parricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MCParricide is a savage MC
MC Status: 18022819

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
How close does it come to the sensation produced by a massive kick in a club with a proper sound system? I don't go out any more but I miss that sensation.
i dont know, as i said, i havent ried one, but i imagine it would make more sense to add to the experience, rather than replace a sub.

------------------
signature loading...
Parricide is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:47 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159810
Thanked 3,196 Times in 2,389 Posts

From what I can gather, all this does is amp up the bass and let the user "feel" the music. Think about it..if your mix is shit to begin with..and this makes the listener feel the bass, then all it's doing is boosting the low end and giving the user an experience similar to what they might get in a club, like l-a touched on in his reply above.

Sure, you can l;earn to sue it as part of your mixing process..but why would you? It doesn't really do anything, aside from give your music some "umph" on playback. I might have it all wrong..don't really know for sure, but based on what I've read about it, it seems just to be another one of those "things" folks "must have", that's been endorsed by a few big names..no doubt in return for big bucks.

That said, don't take any of this as implying it's shite or not worth getting..I just seriously question its use in the music making process.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:55 PM   #9
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent View Post
Many popular producers and DJs swear by it (popular as in dada life, Ritchie Hawtin etc...)

However not sure if they got paid to say so

I've been interested in one as well and I think, just like monitors or a studio you'll still need a lot of reviewing pro tunes through it as a reference before you understand how it translates to your music in the real world
There were also a few semi-well known deep dubstep guys swearing by them. I know there are a couple big regional names from the Western US using them to produce.

I think the real answer is, especially for low end, nothing beats good, accurate speakers and a treated room. I feel like I would have trouble translating some pad poking me in the back to what the bass actually sounds like compared to other elements I'm hearing.

I think the best answer for most people is to get monitors the right size for your room, use them when you can, get to know some decent headphones really well, and then check on a system with more low end. Either that or rent some studio time to set your levels and EQ.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
A.M (10-28-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 07:18 PM   #10
Vault O)))
Deep Underground
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 23560

Practical or not, I'd probably do it if I were in your situation. If your only other alternative isn't working out, what do you have to lose? It sounds like a great way to utilize lower frequencies without pissing anybody off.

I'm no help on this, but I definitely want to hear about it if you decide to do it.

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote