How many projects do you work on at one time?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

The Studio All discussions relating to sound design, mixing techniques, music theory, composition, and gear.

Go Back » The Studio » The Studio
Old 20-10-2016, 05:05 PM   #1
DJ Hawes
Microknight
DJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improve
Torquay
MC Status: -109180
How many projects do you work on at one time?

Hey guys so im interested how many projects you work on at a time?

Do you have a couple, just one or loads? Also what level are you at? Do you do it in your spare time and work on a couple? or do it full time and work only one 1 at a time?

Reason I ask is because I find myself only ever working on one track, I work on my music every couple of days or so for a few hours at a time. and my production level is intermediate I would say.

I was wondering if you think its better to work on a couple different projects as an intermediate producer or just stick to one thing at a time.

I know you guys that do it full time and its your living will obviously work on a few tracks at any one time, but while your still learning/trying to get your productions sounding great is it worth working on a few different things?

Thanks

Advertisements

DJ Hawes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
Lu-Cuss
Granular Poster
Lu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud ofLu-Cuss has much to be proud of
The Wired
MC Status: 1360
Re: How many projects do you work on at one time?

I'm not someone who does this for anything other than a hobby (and sucks at it), but it really depends. Sometimes I'll work on two tracks, sometimes one, sometimesseven, sometimes none (currently the case right now, sadly. Max MSP has been sucking up every ounce of my free time). I don't think it's ever bad to work on multiple things though. Every song is an opportunity to learn something new, and everything you learn can help improve other things you're working on. Just don't start more than you have time for.
Lu-Cuss is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 06:10 PM   #3
DJ Hawes
Microknight
DJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improveDJ Hawes can only hope to improve
Torquay
MC Status: -109180

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lu-Cuss View Post
I'm not someone who does this for anything other than a hobby (and sucks at it), but it really depends. Sometimes I'll work on two tracks, sometimes one, sometimesseven, sometimes none (currently the case right now, sadly. Max MSP has been sucking up every ounce of my free time). I don't think it's ever bad to work on multiple things though. Every song is an opportunity to learn something new, and everything you learn can help improve other things you're working on. Just don't start more than you have time for.
yeah fair comment! To be honest I think working on a couple will help me, I find my self getting stuck on one track sometimes and starring at the screen., tho i think if i thought lets go work on another track, whilst doing that it could spark something for the other track, so yeah think i need to really start working on more than one track at a time
DJ Hawes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2016, 04:02 AM   #4
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160

These days, I find myself working on one project at a time. Nothing wrong with working one at a time. Means you can take time to focus on the track. Of course, I may find myself writing a track and mixing another track but I think mixing is sort of "mundane" so it's easier to balance between the two. But being creative on two different projects at a time? I don't think I can do that.

I also work on music literally every day (as a hobby). Because I do it so much, I find that it's better to work for 1 hour MAX. Idk about my skill level. I guess I know how to get by.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 07:07 AM   #5
Emmanuel G.
Microknight
Emmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond reputeEmmanuel G. has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2210

One at a time, always. The way I approach it is that a track is like a spiritual snapshot of some feeling or experience. My life is doing the music, I am but an interface. So whatever happens to me is how the music sounds.
So one at a time it is.
Emmanuel G. is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #6
NewWorldOrder
Solar Tribal Chief
NewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MCNewWorldOrder is a savage MC
Texas
MC Status: 19460

currently I am working on 4-3 together, and this is the largest load I've had, but 3 of them use the same sound source and library, and are similar in style so it is not that far of a stretch

------------------
NewWorldOrder is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39510

I used to juggle millions at once (stupid idea on my part), so I prefer to finish one and move along. I reformat all of my drives once a year (or more), so half-assed and unfinished projects just get dumped.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 02:04 AM   #8
Naiqvist
Soundwave Mangler
Naiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MCNaiqvist is a savage MC
MC Status: 812406

I'll only ever work on one track at a time. If I start something without finishing it, it's really hard for me to come back a week later and continue working on it. Absurdly difficult actually. Its like I have to commit 10 hours on something over the course of a couple days or else I won't ever want to work on it again. It's certainly a flaw of mine. If I was able to commit myself to old project I would have so much work at this point :\
Naiqvist is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 09:22 PM   #9
stewartmays1
IDMf's latest spammer
stewartmays1 is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

it depends if i get stuck on a track i like to work on a second tune then go back the the first track i was working on but most of the time i like to stay on just one at a time
stewartmays1 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:46 AM   #10
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11477954

I can have a few going at one time. I may start something then come up with ideas for another track, or just want to start on something different.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 05:47 AM   #11
I/O_Madness
Criminal Mastermind
I/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MCI/O_Madness is a savage MC
Wyoming
MC Status: 11477954

On another note, as a user of Max/MSP, I really want to make a track completely in Max.

------------------
Music please - Unregistered needs to get in the CHATROOM!!!
music by I/O_Madness --- facebook
CHECK OUT THE LATEST BEAT BATTLE!!

I/O_Madness
I/O_Madness is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 07:39 AM   #12
chasedobson
bulletunderabloodredsky
chasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MCchasedobson is a savage MC
Denver, CO
MC Status: 1535427
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,242 Posts

I work on so many at a time, I tend to be creative in bursts so starting a lot of tunes and getting the ideas down and to a place where i can leave them and have them keep their identity say 6 weeks down the line is best for me.

I have folders that are dedicated to WIP mp3's that I can go to so I can quickly assess which tunes work together as a release and eventually will make a spreadsheet for the WIP's so I can keep track of how far along they are.

After the burst, I'll go in and start finishing tunes based on the notes I have in the spreadsheet, this is less creative time and more analytical, deciding what the "red thread" for a release is going to be and how the songs relate to one another. eventually I'll consider the arrangement and writing done and go in, bounce stems and mix with just the audio parts so im not tempted to tinker further (unless something REALLY needs it)

Currently I have a folder of 9 tunes, and would like to make it 11 before moving into stage 2 of this process for a new "project" or "band"

------------------
chasedobson is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to chasedobson
relic (08-12-2016)
Old 25-10-2016, 10:18 PM   #13
Entox
Deep Underground
Entox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond reputeEntox has a reputation beyond repute
Bristol
MC Status: 2184

Depends on what is going on really.

I like to try and work on at least 2 tracks at a time though as otherwise you i get stuck in the sound and even though changes need to be made any change seems wrong as it's the way it's sounded for so long, if that makes sense!

Taking breaks from tracks can yield amazing results if your stuck and can't get things right.

That's why i enjoy projects and albums so much as i can leave tracks alone for months and then come back to them with more inspiration later...

------------------
Entox is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
LichLord
Microknight
LichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant futureLichLord has a brilliant future
MC Status: 1910

I end up just juggling around 3-5 tracks at a time. The end result is either going to be half-decent but takes forever to finish due to laziness or just flat-out rushed.

------------------

| Band Name: LichLord | Genre: Electro-Industrial | | Gear List: Here! |
| Album Currently In Development - Estimated Release: Whenever It's Done! |
| Electro-Industrial Composer | Cinematic Composing | Power Fry Vocalist |
LichLord is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 10:29 PM   #15
tivoli
Minor Glitch
tivoli will become famous soon enoughtivoli will become famous soon enough
Moscow, Russia
MC Status: 110

Usually I have about 2-4 projects. All other projects are waiting or would be deleted after some time.
tivoli is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #16
strkssinthes
Soundscaper
strkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MCstrkssinthes is a savage MC
MC Status: 38420

I used have a bunch of half finished projects going on that would never come to fruition. Now I just work on one at a time until its finished. Due to my shitty 9-5 work and life situation I'm pretty much limited to music on the weekends, so gotta stay focused and make it count

------------------
strkssinthes is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #17
iDoG
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
iDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MCiDoG is a savage MC
Chicago
MC Status: 17760

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasedobson View Post
I work on so many at a time, I tend to be creative in bursts so starting a lot of tunes and getting the ideas down and to a place where i can leave them and have them keep their identity say 6 weeks down the line is best for me.

I have folders that are dedicated to WIP mp3's that I can go to so I can quickly assess which tunes work together as a release and eventually will make a spreadsheet for the WIP's so I can keep track of how far along they are.

After the burst, I'll go in and start finishing tunes based on the notes I have in the spreadsheet, this is less creative time and more analytical, deciding what the "red thread" for a release is going to be and how the songs relate to one another. eventually I'll consider the arrangement and writing done and go in, bounce stems and mix with just the audio parts so im not tempted to tinker further (unless something REALLY needs it)

Currently I have a folder of 9 tunes, and would like to make it 11 before moving into stage 2 of this process for a new "project" or "band"
very similar situation. earlier this year i took full inventory of all my ideas, noting the keys, signatures, and bpms. then created a Trello board so i can easily get a full overview of what i have and what might work together. that really helped with what i should be focusing on and also helped to push a lot of tracks closer to having fully fleshed out arrangements.

now i'm working on my album and i'm probably jumping around between a dozen tracks. i just can't do it otherwise. my mood changes. or i get too sick working on one thing. by switching to another track allows me to keep that novelty factor going and resets my ears and lets other ideas simmer in the background. when i eventually come back to them, i have a better perspective because i gave myself a chance to step away.

ultimately, as long as i'm making progress and pushing things forward, that's all that matters. i understand the importance of finishing pieces and i certainly want to get this batch of tracks done. but i don't think it matters all that much in the end whether i do them sequentially or in parallel. in parallel just happens to work better for me. i can allow myself to go on tangents and use any one of these tracks as context for exploring whatever idea i happened to have. whether it works out or not, it doesn't matter. and i know i can prevent myself from being burned out on any one track by switching my attention to something else for a while. it also helps with bringing more uniformity, since i happen to jump around many moods and styles as it is even within the context of any individual track. so any new discoveries i make from going on all these tangents can eventually be re-used by all tracks (if it fits within the context, of course).
iDoG is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to iDoG
chasedobson (08-12-2016)
Old 08-12-2016, 10:36 PM   #18
stray medicine
Savage Mad Cunt
stray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MCstray medicine is a savage MC
Minneapolis
MC Status: 19360

I'm always working on multiple things
stray medicine is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:10 PM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45942931
Thanked 5,695 Times in 3,587 Posts

Right now, I think about 3 songs at once that are halfway to mostly done. One's a Depeche Mode cover, the others are originals. All for the same project.
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
Eddddt
Minor Glitch
Eddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to allEddddt is a name known to all
MC Status: 560

I've always done one track at a time otherwise the song doesn't get finished. Right now I'm doing two because one is a collaboration and I don't feel like twiddling my thumbs waiting for him to get his end of the project back to me.

Advertisements

Eddddt is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote