Free cloud storage? What's your choice?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Technology & Lifestyle Gadgets, gaming, computers and new inventions. This forum is not used for music production.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #1
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798
Free cloud storage? What's your choice?

Lately I've been thinking about backing up my storage on my drives....problem is....I have so much of it! Basically I have two 3TB seagate hard drives. Most of the music production stuff is on one. If I cut things down the capacity of the drive is 2.72 and I have like.....say a tera left if I'm compact with it.

Any good options for people who have buttloads of data and nowhere (really in a good time frame) to put it?

What choices do you usually go with? Seems like everything is Google drive and microsoft onedrive. Neither are particularly....giving.

Advertisements

jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 05:26 AM   #2
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 181060
Thanked 3,621 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: Free cloud storage? What's your choice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmusician View Post
Lately I've been thinking about backing up my storage on my drives....problem is....I have so much of it! Basically I have two 3TB seagate hard drives. Most of the music production stuff is on one. If I cut things down the capacity of the drive is 2.72 and I have like.....say a tera left if I'm compact with it.

Any good options for people who have buttloads of data and nowhere (really in a good time frame) to put it?

What choices do you usually go with? Seems like everything is Google drive and microsoft onedrive. Neither are particularly....giving.
Aside from the likes of Google and other free services, my main online backup service is a fee-based one..CrashPlan

..they really were the best on offer for both price and service at the time I was looking..and that was only a few months back. If you're looking for a serious backup option, then this is certainly one to think very seriously about.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #3
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

True, I'm just thinking of how I can avoid mechanical failure (which I didn't account for when I did my original build). I'm kind of trying to keep it powered off in the meantime until I put some solid storage in, and I make a habit to unplug after use.

http://www.1mtb.com/how-to-get-10-tb...encent-weiyun/

See any red flags here? I bing'd "free terabytes cloud storage"

Last edited by jimmusician; 12-10-2016 at 06:24 PM..
Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 PM   #4
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
True, I'm just thinking of how I can avoid mechanical failure (which I didn't account for when I did my original build). I'm kind of trying to keep it powered off in the meantime until I put some solid storage in, and I make a habit to unplug after use.

http://www.1mtb.com/how-to-get-10-tb...encent-weiyun/

See any red flags here? I bing'd "free terabytes cloud storage"
No, J..that's really not a bad option at all for what you're looking to do..as long as you remember to update or can scheduled updates to happen on a regular basis. That's one of the reasons I went to the one I did in the end..just wanted something that would take care of everything in the background and back up only the changes made to files once the first major backup had been done.

If you go it your own way using free storage, then make sure your system is clean of any and all spyware and malware shite..that the OS is up-to-date with the latest official updates and drivers..then upload whatever it is you want to keep safe..and be ready to spend some time doing this, as it will take time to complete.

I can't remember the exact one I used before, but you will also need to use something like ZeroPC or Free Cloud Dashboard to make working with multiple services that much easier and more productive in general.

------------------
Old 12-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #5
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
No, J..that's really not a bad option at all for what you're looking to do..as long as you remember to update or can scheduled updates to happen on a regular basis. That's one of the reasons I went to the one I did in the end..just wanted something that would take care of everything in the background and back up only the changes made to files once the first major backup had been done.

If you go it your own way using free storage, then make sure your system is clean of any and all spyware and malware shite..that the OS is up-to-date with the latest official updates and drivers..then upload whatever it is you want to keep safe..and be ready to spend some time doing this, as it will take time to complete.

I can't remember the exact one I used before, but you will also need to use something like ZeroPC or Free Cloud Dashboard to make working with multiple services that much easier and more productive in general.
yea it's reasonably clean. Not really thinking too much about the system files, I mean my windows key is tied to the mobo, right? I have the windows disc I installed, so might just do a clean install if I get another drive.

Also I was thinking about some of the TV/Movie media I've collected.....should I be concerned with privacy or should I zip it up and put it under a password? That stuff has also taken some space.
Old 13-10-2016, 09:03 PM   #6
A.M

Quote:
yea it's reasonably clean. Not really thinking too much about the system files, I mean my windows key is tied to the mobo, right? I have the windows disc I installed, so might just do a clean install if I get another drive.

Also I was thinking about some of the TV/Movie media I've collected.....should I be concerned with privacy or should I zip it up and put it under a password? That stuff has also taken some space.
I hear ya about the OS thing..that's easy to put right if needs dictate, but your own stuff..tracks and the likes..they really need to be backed up obviously.

As for movies and stuff..I think most storage services are meant to be encrypted, so in theory, even they don't know what they're holding for you..but I'd still zip and password everything anyway. LSS, there shouldn't really be any issues..unless of course, you start sharing the files with others..in which case that's going to draw a bit of attention to your account.

------------------
Old 26-10-2016, 03:05 PM   #7
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7060

Hi Jim. If I understand you correctly, you say you have 1.7TB roughly of data you would want to keep safe yes? Since you did not specify it had to be free, I will boldy suggest you go with a paid service. your link is some chinese provider, which puts your data across the globe, under different laws, and good luck with any kind of english language tech support if something goes wrong. Saving money on backups is just not a good idea.
I will say, to be open here, I administrate backups for my company on a global basis, so this topic is a bit of a soapbox for me.

I would suggest looking at either Amazon S3 services, something from Microsoft, or similar, trustworthy names. If you want faster recovery, get a new USB drive and copy your data to that as a backup. I assume you already thought of that, but it really is the most convenient way albeit it costs a few bucks to start up. If you need a good backup software to manage it localy on your own disks, I would suggest Veeam. My 2c based on the enterprise version.

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2016, 10:11 PM   #8
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Thanks. ...ya, I'm starting to realize there aren't many alternatives to just paying. The Chinese storage I heard about was a promo amount anyhow, I found out when I signed up.

I think I'm just going to slowly start getting more drives. ....maybe see about building a NAS. Otherwise I'm trying to preserve the drive information by keeping the computer disconnected from the outlet as much as possible.
Old 27-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #9
Creepr
Soundscaper
Creepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond reputeCreepr has a reputation beyond repute
Germany
MC Status: 7060

So I still do not quite understand...is your PC dying or are you just being extra careful?

------------------
Creepr is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2016, 03:07 PM   #10
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creepr View Post
So I still do not quite understand...is your PC dying or are you just being extra careful?
I kind of got over excited last black Friday and purchased a model of seagate drive (2 of them) known to have reliability issues. It's Got me a little worried about "losing" stuff I've collected.
Thanks to jimmusician
A.M (27-10-2016)
Old 27-10-2016, 04:57 PM   #11
A.M

Quote:
I kind of got over excited last black Friday and purchased a model of seagate drive (2 of them) known to have reliability issues. It's Got me a little worried about "losing" stuff I've collected.
I did the same a few years back..bough a SG drive that I later found out has a talent for making a strange sound and then dying. Mine started making the sound about 3 years ago..it's still working fine at the time of writing this, but I have since backed up everything on it online ages ago.

Just wanted to add that Creepr is giving you some sound advice, though if you're worries about privacy in general, then do your homework and try to go with some service that has it's servers outside the U.S I know no service is really secure or untouchable when it comes to the long arm of the law, but still, most of us would rather the various U.S security services didn't have a legal back door into our data.

Again, just to recap on what I ais before..if you just want to store stuff online as a backup and don't intend working with those files in the short term, then just go with the big well-known ones, such as Amazon, Google, Dropbox..and use some program to manage them all into one giant file storage pool. The only point of note is the whole security thing I mentioned above..but that's really a personal thing I guess.

------------------
Old 27-10-2016, 09:27 PM   #12
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
I did the same a few years back..bough a SG drive that I later found out has a talent for making a strange sound and then dying. Mine started making the sound about 3 years ago..it's still working fine at the time of writing this, but I have since backed up everything on it online ages ago.

Just wanted to add that Creepr is giving you some sound advice, though if you're worries about privacy in general, then do your homework and try to go with some service that has it's servers outside the U.S I know no service is really secure or untouchable when it comes to the long arm of the law, but still, most of us would rather the various U.S security services didn't have a legal back door into our data.

Again, just to recap on what I ais before..if you just want to store stuff online as a backup and don't intend working with those files in the short term, then just go with the big well-known ones, such as Amazon, Google, Dropbox..and use some program to manage them all into one giant file storage pool. The only point of note is the whole security thing I mentioned above..but that's really a personal thing I guess.
Ya I guess I'll use Google Drive lately. At this point I'm not really concerned with file privacy, just getting them preserved.

The real trigger for my worry was when I had a crash from nvidia/steam trying to update at the same time with my anti virus initializing. ....I pulled up crystaldiskinfo and both drive statuses came up as "caution". From what I understand any drive can pull up "caution" and even my laptop has that status, but it doesn't determine drive length, just the amount of errors.

Lot to add up lol.
Thanks to jimmusician
A.M (27-10-2016)
Old 28-10-2016, 08:39 AM   #13
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 19660

Quote:
Ya I guess I'll use Google Drive lately. At this point I'm not really concerned with file privacy, just getting them preserved.

The real trigger for my worry was when I had a crash from nvidia/steam trying to update at the same time with my anti virus initializing. ....I pulled up crystaldiskinfo and both drive statuses came up as "caution". From what I understand any drive can pull up "caution" and even my laptop has that status, but it doesn't determine drive length, just the amount of errors.

Lot to add up lol.
sounds like a hard drive failurew in general no pc should have any issue updateing steam and a nvidia driver at the same time.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 12:05 AM   #14
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
sounds like a hard drive failurew in general no pc should have any issue updateing steam and a nvidia driver at the same time.
Powered up last night. ....a little of the usual bonk bonk noises of the drives working. Little slow, but I was transferring some data to the external drive. Played some Skyrim Special Edition (free since I had the steam legendary edition).

You never know, could be a one off. I'm running a student version of Windows 8.1
Old 29-10-2016, 05:48 PM   #15
Vault O)))
Savage Mad Cunt
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 39460

Mega gives out 50GB right out of the gate, if you trust that sneaky bastard and his shenanigans to not have another FBI raid.

Otherwise, the mainstream stuff is safer and worth the money. Paying for storage can almost teach you a good lesson in what you really need, similar to storage IRL. I'll probably always use an old fashioned stack of hard drives in my closet, but I'm weird.
Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 09:13 PM   #16
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Ya but I need everything lol.

I think it was a one-off event. I put 4 hours in to skyrim last night while copying files to my small 500gb drive.

Honestly I think building a NAS is the solution. Just need to figure out a case that can mount enough drives

Last edited by jimmusician; 29-10-2016 at 09:28 PM..
Old 14-11-2016, 09:54 AM   #17
rossie
Learning The Ropes
rossie is currently spamming hard
MC Status: 10

dropbox for my phone and PC.
rossie is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:18 PM   #18
ebben
Learning The Ropes
ebben is currently spamming hard

I use Google Drive mostly. Unsure why I use it so much since you get less free storage but it was the first cloud storage I got so I just got used to the layout more and find it harder to switch to other providers. Guess I just find it easier to use really.
ebben is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2017, 09:43 PM   #19
Treyt0r
Analog Lurker
Treyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to beholdTreyt0r is a splendid one to behold
VA
MC Status: 710

Google Drive and Dropbox. I have no special loyalty to Drive except for that I've always used it and it's pretty easy to use. I might start using more if I run out of space since I use Drive for all my demos, but idk.
Treyt0r is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 08:29 AM   #20
CarlosHunt50
Learning The Ropes
CarlosHunt50 is currently spamming hard

I find Google Cloud easier and more convenient. The best part is its free.

Advertisements

CarlosHunt50 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote