Artistic vision
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 11-10-2016, 01:41 AM   #1
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260
Artistic vision

So there have been a couple threads on here, and my personal musical wandering that have me thinking a bit about artistic vision, and how I want to apply it to what I am making.
First let me preface by saying that I am not looking for ways to "make it" or anything!

But here is what I have been thinking about lately:

I listen to lots of styles of music, none would be considered mainstream by any means! Closest might be some metal core bands I kinda like, or old high school grunge I still love!

And I am keen on screwing around with a bunch of sounds and love playing guitar and would love to incorporate that into my more synthetic, electronic style music.
But I also would love to just make dark weird sounds like dryft, or orphx and other noise beat type artists.

So the thoughts I am having, and I am wondering if others here do this too seeing the eclectic bunch on here!

Do some of you have an artistic vision, or idea of what you do and stick to it? Like a mandate you could give yourselves, to restrict and focus your work? Or do you guys naturally gravitate to a certain style with out restricting yourselves?

I know some here like A.M. are obviously into their own genres.
And while it would be nice to be able to have several projects for different styles that just isn't possible for me at this time!

Voila, long rant, maybe it will get some thoughtful answers from you guys, or just some total nonsense .

To,dr: who am I?

Advertisements

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:23 AM   #2
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798
Re: Artistic vision

Kind of....when I started out, I was the death metal/grindcore kid who nobody really got; I wanted to make a lot of noise that was different from the whole "this is rock, this is pop, this is techno"....I took stock drums at first and started seeing what they could do, made some blasts, picked out noises I thought were funny and went to town.

I discovered there were people that weren't far off from my frame of mind, because it was dubbed midigrind, then electro-grind (cybergrind is more for guitarists that want to play with drum machines, which is cool, but not what I was doing).

So I spent a couple years of doing generally whatever I wanted (which as far as music was anything) until I hit two roadblocks; music was too fast to really apply vocals to and people complained the production was shitty.

So now the production quality has increased, I'm trying to get into the groove, and basically do more, a little slower, with a techno vibe.

In short, the artistic vision, it's good when you're working from project to project, but really, long term, it's a decade later and this hobby of mine I've wanted to be seen as productive work rather than some guy slapping shit together.

Hate to echo SeamlessR but just keep doing what sounds good to you, because if it does, it probably is.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:41 AM   #3
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

you have 666 posts

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 02:44 AM   #4
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
you have 666 posts
Fixed it :problemofficer:
Old 11-10-2016, 02:54 AM   #5
D42K732202
IDMf Supporter
D42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond reputeD42K732202 has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8410

what have you done foolish mortal ?

------------------
sent from another world
------------------
D42K732202 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:02 AM   #6
jimmusician
Deep Underground

Quote:
Originally Posted by D42K732202 View Post
what have you done foolish mortal ?
went beyond the devil?
Old 11-10-2016, 03:17 AM   #7
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Seems to me that overthinking this isn't helpful. I would like to think that a certain level of focus would Be helpful, but forcing it probably won't. I am going to play around with the sounds that I feel most passionate about. For any creative endeavor it is key to achieve a state of flow, where the creative process can be maintained uninterrupted and with effortless but intense focus. I see that in my professional career.
There are different ways to maintain focus. However, being all over the map genre wise, probably isn't one of them. A diverse background is helpful, though.

I wouldn't call it artistic vision, but I'll be shooting for Techno, more of the old school kind. I need to strip down my productions. I think focusing on hardware a bit more will help.

Remember to have fun. If it feels wrong, it probably is.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 03:29 AM   #8
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8534080
Thanked 6,863 Times in 4,888 Posts

Just go make shit that makes you happy, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Bukowski
If you're going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don't even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery--isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you'll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you're going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It's the only good fight there is

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:37 AM   #9
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC

Cool quote

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 03:50 AM   #10
White Noise
Eternal Echoer
White Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MCWhite Noise is a savage MC
California
MC Status: 20360

I have a vision of what I want to make, but I'm not ready to make it yet. I've tried twice and I can't seem to get it right, and I don't want to do this if its not going to be right. I only know the overarching theme of the album, and (perhaps) the climactic point of the story, but I haven't decided on the surrounding details. As to what that means musically, it means I need to keep learning and practicing for now, and decide, for sure, what I want this to say. I do know that electronic music, in some form or another, is capable of delivering what I want it to (and I'll use whatever will make the statement best, which so far is something kind of similar to Daft Punk with a more severe/dramatic strain of music in there), I'm just not there yet.

Once that gets done, its all about the money for me . (We need some sort of money smiley).
White Noise is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to White Noise
jbvdb493 (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 05:16 AM   #11
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

Yep. It's not just a series of notes and sounds to me, there's a meaning behind everything and a theme involved in all of what I have done.

A couple of years back I did a remix of one of Grain Bastard's songs in a BoC style. I started with his stems and had no clue what I was going to do with them. First, I went through the stems and looked for sounds that spoke to me, in whatever form they might speak. After hearing one, I took the musical/aural theme it presented and fashioned a set of samples around it that used it as a foundation for the overall theme, then just went with it. It turned out to be a playful song about young love, shyness and trying to muster up the courage to approach the person you have a crush on, with no lyrics or vocals. I think in the end it worked well. so in that case, the theme (or vision) just presented itself after the sounds started coming together. I think that's mostly how it usually works with me, almost accidentally.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
RFJ (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 07:23 AM   #12
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington
MC Status: 1560

I used to have a vision once, many years ago. I always wanted to emulate early Tangerine Dream stuff like Rubycon and Phaedra.

After a while, and many failures, I found that I had my own style and sound. Not great, but it was good enough for me that I have always stuck at music as a hobby over the years albeit with a few long gaps here and there.

Lately, I appear to have developed a desire, indeed a knack, even, of producing ambient stuff. Sometimes nice and relaxing stuff and sometimes dark and cinematic.

So I guess that I no longer have a vision as such and I continue to experiment with sounds and different methods of production, to see where that takes me

Cheers,

andy
synkrotron is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 10:34 AM   #13
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter

I love old TD!

------------------
Thanks to jbvdb493
synkrotron (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 07:23 PM   #14
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
Cool quote
I apologize if my answer seemed glib before. I've been in just a hell of an odd mood lately. No matter what genre my stuff fits into similar moods and tropes reappear a lot in my music. So I guess I don't worry about genre so much--which is largely defined by BPM and the style of the beat in dance music--but my stuff tends to be darker/melancholy/dissonant.

I guess what I was trying to say before is just do what you are feeling and damn the torpedoes. If you are doing this mainly for your own enjoyment, I would just suggesting doing what ever you feel most inspired to do at the moment. If you are trying to make an album, you probably want something consistent holding the songs all together. If you aren't worried about marketing your product I think a lot of these questions fall away.

Then again, tons of amateur electronic musicians really put the cart before the horse in regards to marketing themselves, worrying about naming and maintaing multiple projects, artist names, personas, etc. From my observations of both the music world and the literary world I'd say the quickest way to piss off a fan base is to try something different. But if you aren't trying to sell a product, who cares?

Setting up restrictions or rules, defining parameters for a certain project, these can all be good tools to focus, of course. I know a lot of this seems like a response to a "trying to make it thread", but I guess my opinion is that if you need some kind of parameters to help you focus--use them. If not and you aren't trying to sell a product, just do whatever floats your boat.

------------------
Thanks to relic
jbvdb493 (12-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by synkrotron View Post
I used to have a vision once, many years ago. I always wanted to emulate early Tangerine Dream stuff like Rubycon and Phaedra.

After a while, and many failures, I found that I had my own style and sound. Not great, but it was good enough for me that I have always stuck at music as a hobby over the years albeit with a few long gaps here and there.

Lately, I appear to have developed a desire, indeed a knack, even, of producing ambient stuff. Sometimes nice and relaxing stuff and sometimes dark and cinematic.

So I guess that I no longer have a vision as such and I continue to experiment with sounds and different methods of production, to see where that takes me

Cheers,

andy
Funny. I just started really listening to TD and some others like them. Really digging the style and after my recent purge the only instrument I kept is perfect for making this kind of music.

------------------
Old 11-10-2016, 08:38 PM   #16
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
synkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant futuresynkrotron has a brilliant future
Warrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by relic View Post
I just started really listening to TD and some others like them
Which era? They covered so much ground over the years

------------------
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | Sonar Platinum | Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Old 11-10-2016, 08:54 PM   #17
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
The AK Rowdy Rowdy

Quote:
Which era? They covered so much ground over the years
No idea. Whatever Pandora is throwing at me.

------------------
Old 11-10-2016, 09:00 PM   #18
synkrotron
Analog Lurker
Warrington

Ah... Pandora and her little box of secrets

Nice

------------------
Intel Core™i7-3820QM Quad Core Mobile Processor 2.70GHz 8MB cache | Intel HM77 Express Chipset | 16GB SAMSUNG 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675M - 2.0GB DDR5 Video RAM | 500GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD | Windows 10 Pro | Roland OCTA-CAPTURE | Sonar Platinum | Too many VSTi's to list here | KRK KNS-8400 Headphones | Roland JP-8000 | Oberheim OB12 | Novation Nova | Gibson SG Special | PRS Studio
Thanks to synkrotron
relic (11-10-2016)
Old 11-10-2016, 09:41 PM   #19
ab
IDMf Artist
ab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MCab is a savage MC
Duesseldorf
MC Status: 46080064
Thanked 1,228 Times in 828 Posts

i make music all the time, and a lot of it is not good. even the ones i deem good may be discarded absolutely, but that is something i have learned to live with. who am i to say what is a pleasant musical experiance for other humans? yeah, not me. so far, fucking random

what drives me is how do you live your life in the time we are stuck in. we have destroyed our prospect for interplanetary teavel which would have lead to mars and maybe even venus colonization. our civilization gap (between spending all moneys on fighting russians (and/or muslims) and building proper space faring fleets has been nullified, we are stuck here, which means, we will die here.

climate change (added bonus: methane fields) means the lookout here is bleak as best.

we are prisoners to our planet, and since nobody told us how to develop new perspectives within inner emigration we are damned to repeat our fathers failures.

so, the music i make is haflway between utter desperation and self-deceiving hope. the people i love made me experience levels of energy, excitement and involvement i had never even hoped to achieve.

in the end, all that is pointless because we are going to die a very unglamorous death, in which we all will be alone. i have witnessed some 40 peoples deaths and in the last minute they all looked skyward, away from their "loved ones", and were fully content with that distance.

well, those are the cornerstones of fultility i operate amongst

------------------
ab is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 02:21 AM   #20
Vault O)))
Cumplete Retard
Vault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MCVault O))) is a savage MC
MC Status: 37710

Quote:
Emeralds beat you to it

Advertisements

Vault O))) is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote