Your stupid music vs my great music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 29-09-2016, 01:29 AM   #1
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts
Your stupid music vs my great music

Someone posted this hilarious video here in Mrs Dink's thread:

And I said to myself, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. And I looked for DJ sets from Berghain and getting all into it, thinking, hey I can do that with my gear, it'll be awesome. And, yeah, given the proper amount of prep I think I can pull something decent together.
And as I listened to Adam Beyer's set (love his Drumcode podcast) more attentively it just sounded more and more like the same formulaic stuff. Good stuff, but still quite decidedly following a cookie cutter pattern. X0X ish drum, 4x4, a recognizable bass element, and something unique sounding (if you're lucky). And, while I like it, and infinitely prefer it over the sort of EDM shit featured in the video, it still has the tendency to sound rather interchangeable. There are the few standout tracks (I think all the tracks in the video illustrating proper Techno are pretty stand out tracks), but there's a lot of Metamucil style fillers in many sets. Few DJs avoid it. DJ Hell, Sven Väth, they still surprise. It's at a point where a set from 5 years ago can be hard to tell apart from one recorded last week.

Is the "proper Techno" idea really a fools errand and is it just that some of us simply like this style of cookie cutter pattern more than whatever the fuck DJ Pauly spins?

Advertisements

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #2
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929
Re: Your stupid music vs my great music

My golly gee, what an interesting topic. Since I've been forced to read tons of Adorno lately, here's what he would say about it: "All kinds of popular, or "light" music are ultimately resurgigating same old formulas and are therefore not worthwhile as academic endeavours. They are commodities, which solely exist to fill a function, or satisfy one of the "drives" - usually that of the need of belonging to a community, the sex drive, the drive to become intoxicated, or the competition drive. "light" music has been fractured to about a dozen subgenres, different only in ways that remain largely irrelevant to the musical structure and the position of music as art, mostly in order to satisfy the need of exclusivity: The illusion that you belong to an exclusive insider group that likes that kind of music. We know that this is an illusion, since no true sense of community may exist in the monopoly-capitalistic society. The actual musical features are thus irrelevant. Further, this music is so subjugated to the desires of the bourgeois that it mirrors them in every point, it has to in order to get produced and consumed - and to fulfill the function as drive satisfaction as it has set out to be. Therefore we can conclude that this music is not really dialectic, or in a position to be dialectic, and since it therefore is inadequate at exemplifying the class struggle, it is automatically a total piece of trash garbage dumb, and people who make it are literally anal-sadistic assmongrels, whoring themselves out on the streets."

TL;DR: If people still like it, it's working. Who cares if its "dumb" or "simple".

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #3
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 25260

I think I've been thinking about similar ideas lately as well, although not purely regarding techno.
But the same could be said about pearl jam sounding like pearl jam, and then all the crappy post grunge rock bands filling the airwaves of the likes of Sirius octane. Or all the suicide commandos and other agrotech sound alikes.
I think if you have a certain artistic vision and are happy with that it might be sufficient.

As far as popular music being garbage because it won't overthrow the empire, well I don't really know where to go with that one. I guess art should be equally reflection of and escapism from the dreariness of day to day experience so it can't only be expected to be revolutionary or anything.
And if you are a revolutionary long enough you become the new order or whatever!

Edit: the video was good for a chuckle tho thanks!

------------------
jbvdb493 is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2016, 06:43 PM   #4
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
As far as popular music being garbage because it won't overthrow the empire, well I don't really know where to go with that one.
You drink another bottle of wine and keep reading Adorno, because the man is bloody hilarious in his bashing. You may think I went over the top with anal-sadistic? That's straight out of one of his papers! Eventually, you'll be so drunk that what he wrote begins to make sense. :problemofficer:

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Blingley
jbvdb493 (29-09-2016)
Old 29-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
hellscion
brraaiiinnsss
hellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MChellscion is a savage MC
NJ
MC Status: 91357123

I remember back in the 90s most people felt that the majority of electronic dance / techno music was terrible, and it is. There were good artists like the Prodigy or Crystal Method but there were so many DJ Jerkoff and DJ Winecooler fuckers that for the most part no one really cared about except other DJ's who made money playing that in clubs where people were too wasted/distracted to notice that the music was extremely repetitive.

------------------
hellscion is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2016, 01:50 AM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105850
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,368 Posts

Not sure how I feel about that video dissing Darude.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:08 PM   #7
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquid_air View Post
Someone posted this hilarious video here in Mrs Dink's thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqaaU45wM4E

And I said to myself, yeah, that's what I'm talking about. And I looked for DJ sets from Berghain and getting all into it, thinking, hey I can do that with my gear, it'll be awesome. And, yeah, given the proper amount of prep I think I can pull something decent together.
And as I listened to Adam Beyer's set (love his Drumcode podcast) more attentively it just sounded more and more like the same formulaic stuff. Good stuff, but still quite decidedly following a cookie cutter pattern. X0X ish drum, 4x4, a recognizable bass element, and something unique sounding (if you're lucky). And, while I like it, and infinitely prefer it over the sort of EDM shit featured in the video, it still has the tendency to sound rather interchangeable. There are the few standout tracks (I think all the tracks in the video illustrating proper Techno are pretty stand out tracks), but there's a lot of Metamucil style fillers in many sets. Few DJs avoid it. DJ Hell, Sven Väth, they still surprise. It's at a point where a set from 5 years ago can be hard to tell apart from one recorded last week.

Is the "proper Techno" idea really a fools errand and is it just that some of us simply like this style of cookie cutter pattern more than whatever the fuck DJ Pauly spins?
Well, I'll admit, I learned something useful and I actually quite like it.

4x4 Music composed through repetition, but with subtlety that makes you feel evolution, vs "LOOK AT ME!".

I remember once I got offended people would sort of call my og stuff techno (it was e-rock, but rockers don't get it), but one thing has become obvious. ....the more complex you try to get, the easier it gets to generate bullshit.

I think this guy trying to clear up what isn't techno Is helpful to those who will listen.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #8
totes antenna
TOO on fleek
totes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond reputetotes antenna has a reputation beyond repute
Skyway Patrol
MC Status: 9810

they play thriller for every holiday parade or event in this town. it is in every local dj's arsenal. wish i was joking.

Advertisements

totes antenna is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote