message with the music
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Music Scene Chat Discuss everything music scene & industry-related here.

Old 28-09-2016, 11:39 AM   #1
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222282734
Thanked 2,631 Times in 1,752 Posts
message with the music

im probably gonna get told that ive got my head up my arse... or just straight up ignored but bare with me...

so I'm about to put some music on bandcamp. a collection of music that ive put a lot of time and consideration into obviously. even though I'm just a random person putting music online I feel like this is the only thing I do as an extension or representation of me that is actually meaningful aside from any physical actions or gestures that I might make.

the music is a collection of happy sounding dance tracks that were in no way composed with the intention to reflect upon issues or topics that are important to me... its just dance music

the thing is I have this strong urge to write a little statement in the 'about' section that bandcamp provides, probably some hardcore stuff about Syria and injustice n shiz. I feel so strongly about it but also feel that tweeting or scribbling here about these issues doesn't really mean anything.

I realise it doesn't if I write it under some music either but I feel that the considered 'representation of me' that is the music is the best platform I have to express myself and the things I feel so strongly about too. it gives those thoughts weight and I don't have to say them everywhere all the time

whether I decide to do this or not ill probably decided by myself and a lot of it will go down to if I can shoehorn it in in such a way that its not bizarre...probably not

interested if anybody has any thoughts on this though. if youre just trying to find some new electronic music and a guy is all serious about some totally unrelated shit in the blurb (or whatever) would that make you think 'what a cunt'?? I feel like it might if I saw it but I still wanna do it anyway

if you read this well done

Advertisements

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #2
Automageddon
IDMf ArtistModerator
Automageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MCAutomageddon is a savage MC
Less kids, more synths.
MC Status: 269459058
Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,810 Posts
Re: message with the music

The idea is good, but I do think you would come across as a dick, especially if the music is totally unrelated in theme or mood.

If your track had a somehow related theme, be it a "middle-eastern" (take that term very loosely) vibe or a political message, then it would fit without you coming across as a pretentious person that's trying to make a statement just because.

Please also note that this is only how I would read that, so someone else might read your action in a completely different way and feel like yours is a genuine concern.

Also, aren't you putting too much trust in the "about" section of Bandcamp? Does anyone even read that?

------------------
Automageddon is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Automageddon
FunkMasterBrown (03-10-2016)
Old 28-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #3
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798

Like it's been said, nice idea, a little late to mention it.

Maybe it's bio material, but I wouldn't get heavy with it, I don't think most people have more than a rudimentary reading ability.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jimmusician
Old 28-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #4
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC
MC Status: 744026591
Thanked 7,183 Times in 4,470 Posts

start a blog
lolirl is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #5
mnkvolcno
Savage Mad Cunt
mnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MCmnkvolcno is a savage MC
MC Status: 25510

Well.. it's the Internet. If you wanna write it, go for it.

What's the worst that could happen? Somebody on the Internet thinks you're uncool. Oh well. From my experience everybody already has their minds made up about everything and so they'll just use your writing to back up what they already think. "What a thoughtful artist guy." "Typical libtard shit." "Electronic music has no soul."

Just be yourself IMO. Fuck 'em.

------------------
mnkvolcno is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:18 PM   #6
Oatbag
IDMf Artist
Oatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MCOatbag is a savage MC
Best Coast
MC Status: 105850
Thanked 2,091 Times in 1,368 Posts

You seem like the 'fuck it ima do it anyways type' and I think that's what you should do. Write whatever you want on your place on the internet. It's your own little corner and you can use it for whatever you likes.

You are not doing it for marketing purposes I think, so that's a +1 for you.
Oatbag is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Oatbag
Old 28-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #7
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45941881
Thanked 5,674 Times in 3,576 Posts

Probably a waste of time, like Auto said, no one really reads that section. Eyes go to the album art, the play button on the track list and download/payment options. You'd probably be better off creating a facebook page for it and doing up a post and an about section there. Not sure of you're a FB haterade drinker or not, though. Tis a powerful tool these days in the music world although you've got to be very thorough with it's mechanics (tagging, audience preferences)...it really does boil down to how serious you are about promoting the music+message.

------------------
brumski
Numerical is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
Old 28-09-2016, 11:30 PM   #8
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 175360
Thanked 3,507 Times in 2,618 Posts

I think a combo of what both Auto and lolirl said..basically stat a blog for all of that stuff, if it's not related to the music in question..and you could then post a link back to the blog on your BC page. That way the two are linked and anyone who's interested can read the blog and get into shit with you, if you let them post comments there..

LSS..start a blog for any and all heavy shit and keep the music apart from it..unless the track/s or EP/albums are related in some way.

------------------
A.M is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to A.M
Old 29-09-2016, 01:09 AM   #9
liquid_air
IDMf Supporter
liquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MCliquid_air is a savage MC
Corny
MC Status: 51260
Thanked 1,025 Times in 759 Posts

Well, fwiw Moby on one of his albums did just that. He even titled the album Animal Rights. I read the leaflet, listened to his CD and ate my steak. But, hey, good idea.

------------------
Techno starts with a capital 'T', as in TB-303 and TR-808.

liquid_air is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to liquid_air
Old 03-10-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC

an awesome thread of replies lads thank you. I couldn't get to a computer to reply properly but I did read them and they helped me work it out so cheers

I think everybody has different ideas of what it is I might say and why but yeah, the real problem is I wouldn't be able to write the right words to make it work. ive seen releases that mention brexit and other stuff too and it was a perfectly fine thing, like a dedication maybe (I cant remember, cool) and I think that's probably what started the ball rolling in my mind a few months ago

starting a blog? just an endless daily diary of me saying shit like 'but its not fairrrrrrrrrr'... that's not really what I was going for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Probably a waste of time, like Auto said, no one really reads that section
mate nobody listens to my music either haha like seriously. its not gonna stop me making it though and doing it my own cheeky little way. its not about who sees it but that its there

also I just want to say that I'm not a fan of theme albums at all, I think its perfectly ok to make some music in dedication to, or inspired by an place/person/idea/thing without being so blunt about it as to use loads of Arabic instruments and recorded sounds of blokes shouting from atop camels with the faint sound of their fez panned all the way to the east or whatever.

anyway the simple fact is my heart is being broken in two every single day at the moment with what is going on in Aleppo. its real fucking despair and ive never heard a single person talk about it to their mate at the pub or anything at all. the news reports it but its as if it doesn't exist. ive been looking at trying to go over there to volunteer or work to help with aid but you need like a degree in logistics, 2 years experience in third world countries and some other shit too... very frustrating

anyway this is my rambling thoughts. thank you all very much you guys are cool

------------------
Old 03-10-2016, 03:16 PM   #11
Blingley
Madacu Sad Gent
Blingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MCBlingley is a savage MC
MC Status: 7236929

Eh, go for it. All this de-political correctedness in current society is annoying as heck. Be brave, be political.

------------------
Blingley is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #12
lolirl
Administrator
lolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MClolirl is a savage MC

Be sensible, stay as far away from war zones as possible at all times.

------------------
Giving it one hunder percent.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:31 PM   #13
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin

the rent is too damn high
down with dope up with hope

------------------
brumski
Thanks to Numerical
vashima (06-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 10:09 PM   #14
MFXxx
IDMf Supporter
MFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MCMFXxx is a savage MC
My own little world
MC Status: 1834877

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
im probably gonna get told that ive got my head up my arse... or just straight up ignored but bare with me...

so I'm about to put some music on bandcamp. a collection of music that ive put a lot of time and consideration into obviously. even though I'm just a random person putting music online I feel like this is the only thing I do as an extension or representation of me that is actually meaningful aside from any physical actions or gestures that I might make.

the music is a collection of happy sounding dance tracks that were in no way composed with the intention to reflect upon issues or topics that are important to me... its just dance music

the thing is I have this strong urge to write a little statement in the 'about' section that bandcamp provides, probably some hardcore stuff about Syria and injustice n shiz. I feel so strongly about it but also feel that tweeting or scribbling here about these issues doesn't really mean anything.

I realise it doesn't if I write it under some music either but I feel that the considered 'representation of me' that is the music is the best platform I have to express myself and the things I feel so strongly about too. it gives those thoughts weight and I don't have to say them everywhere all the time

whether I decide to do this or not ill probably decided by myself and a lot of it will go down to if I can shoehorn it in in such a way that its not bizarre...probably not

interested if anybody has any thoughts on this though. if youre just trying to find some new electronic music and a guy is all serious about some totally unrelated shit in the blurb (or whatever) would that make you think 'what a cunt'?? I feel like it might if I saw it but I still wanna do it anyway

if you read this well done
Music I guess can be the inspiration, but the collective is what initiates the action with anything on such a scale.
I think I know where you're coming from. About a year ago when the Syrian refugees and others fleeing across the med courtesy of people smugglers got me moved. as I was watching the news. Nice thing about BBC iplayer, can play it back, capture audio and sample. So then evolved a track. Not that it has any impact, but it was a good way of expression some emotions and a message. Im not getting all effing emotive here and arty, flying the human rights flag whist marching down the street chanting whatever the fuck should be shouted. Just a simple self-outlet.
Nice thing about this post, you reminded me I need to go and rework it as it needs a tweak or 10. Press the panda, goto home page and scroll down to the Lifejacket (Where the future lies), not posting link here as that's derailing the thread for what it is intended for!
At least the French are finally shutting up Calais and relocating people, although I somehow think that is going to be fruitless as they want to come to the UK regardless!

------------------
MFXxx is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to MFXxx
FunkMasterBrown (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #15
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFXxx View Post
Music I guess can be the inspiration, but the collective is what initiates the action with anything on such a scale.
I think I know where you're coming from. About a year ago when the Syrian refugees and others fleeing across the med courtesy of people smugglers got me moved. as I was watching the news. Nice thing about BBC iplayer, can play it back, capture audio and sample. So then evolved a track. Not that it has any impact, but it was a good way of expression some emotions and a message. Im not getting all effing emotive here and arty, flying the human rights flag whist marching down the street chanting whatever the fuck should be shouted. Just a simple self-outlet.
Nice thing about this post, you reminded me I need to go and rework it as it needs a tweak or 10. Press the panda, goto home page and scroll down to the Lifejacket (Where the future lies), not posting link here as that's derailing the thread for what it is intended for!
At least the French are finally shutting up Calais and relocating people, although I somehow think that is going to be fruitless as they want to come to the UK regardless!
I have the audio to this video recorded from a few months back:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...leave-eu-video

something about it really stuck out to me as insane face wrenching absurdity and I could totally do something with it although I guess the time has passed, maybe ill keep it a few years for the political rare groove lads on discogs

the whole country was reversing backwards into a cave and some silly Nazi bint was so happy because things were finally starting to look like they were going the way she wanted them to be. she talks of achieving dreams, positivity, potential and prosperity... 'greatness'

'let us unite! together we will write another great chapter: one of prosperity, and tolerance and hope'

this is immediately after the brexit vote

------------------
Old 05-10-2016, 01:28 PM   #16
FunkMasterBrown
IDMf Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolirl View Post
Be sensible, stay as far away from war zones as possible at all times.
what does that even mean I don't get it. I feel like if you apply that logic to other scenarios it becomes silly

------------------
Old 06-10-2016, 08:22 AM   #17
lolirl
Administrator

Mate, why do you even care then?
Go to a warzone and get all the feels you require from pratting about "helping" people with your lack of first aid training or ability to speak the language.
You sound like a 14 year old girl who wants to be an Isis bride.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:11 AM   #18
Valk
Microknight
Valk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond reputeValk has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 2910

@lolirl AYY LOL IRL DAT FIRE DOE
@FunkMasterBrown Is there enough space in one of the songs to drop a sample of a speech or interview about the war? If you can spread a little truth about the fight and make the album art semi related then the blurb being war-related wouldn't look weird at all.

It's your baby though, listen to what your gut says, read everyone and you'll end up still only using what you believe to validate your pre-existing notions and opini- woops babbled..

A possible approach could be to do the blurb with the war-taint and one with whatever other flavour you were going for (cyka blyat best tunes for haus party 2016) and then compare the two after leaving it alone for a day.

------------------
check out my Nest in progress
Valk is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #19
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Austin

All the feels associated with this thread are just too much for one person to handle properly.

------------------
brumski
Old 06-10-2016, 09:23 PM   #20
SKYCORE
IDMf Artist
SKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MCSKYCORE is a savage MC
busy
MC Status: 53310
Thanked 1,066 Times in 762 Posts

like this?

Advertisements

SKYCORE is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to SKYCORE
Valk (06-10-2016)