How to Legally Create a Remix?
You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Advertisements

Old 09-26-2016, 05:42 PM   #1
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island
MC Status: 10810
How to Legally Create a Remix?

So I have been working lately on a remix of Ariana Grande's song Into You, and I am slightly worried about putting the remix out in the public, due to legal issues. I managed to come across a leak of the Studio Acapella for the song, and that is what I chose to use for the remix, as I prefer to remix songs with just the Acapellas, so that I am not influenced by the original recording (I actually have yet to listen to the original Into You).

How should I go about putting this remix out? I was planning on submitting it to Trap Nation for promotion, but I am worried that I will be turned down because it is an unofficial remix of a fairly big pop song. I have thought about going directly to the Label that released the original about permission for a remix and showing them what I did, but it worries me that I would essentially be asking them if a remix I made using an unofficially leaked studio acapella is okay, which will obviously probably not go very well.

What would be the best course of action? I really want to put the remix out because I think it could do very well, but I am worried about if it does do well that I would essentially be asking for a legal dispute.

Advertisements

------------------
SyMTiK
(~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~ (~^.^)~(~^.^) ~
Berklee College of Music '21

_Mystik_ is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 07:26 PM   #2
relic
IDMf Supporter
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8514530
Thanked 6,472 Times in 4,626 Posts
Re: How to Legally Create a Remix?

The only legal way is to get permission. Otherwise you always run the risk of a legal issue. From what I understand the worst thing that might happen is you are asked to remove the song from public.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to relic
professurreal (09-28-2016)
Old 09-26-2016, 08:39 PM   #3
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8598

Or pay a bunch of people.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:30 PM   #4
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160

you can release remixes for free, plus its not a leak she like calvin harris dosent mind people getting her acapellas she incorages it. (she releases them herself)
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 12:00 AM   #5
A.M
IDMf SupporterIDMf Artist
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC
MC Status: 159710
Thanked 3,194 Times in 2,388 Posts

Regardless of what's said here..if you want to keep things strictly legal, then you need to get permission from those who own the rights..that means going off and doing some homework..you'll need to be sure you are dealing with the right people (I'm guessing the label that released it in the first place).

If you're not sure your version is legal to start with, then that's the first thing you'll need to find out before you hit up anyone else about releasing it. If you don't and it turns out to be illegal, then it's going to make you look like a complete twat..and that's one thing you don't need when trying to do business with somebody..seriously.

Once you know where you stand regarding the legality of your mix, then try hitting the labels up for permission to remix it.

Long story short: Find out where you currently stand regarding the vocals..and then, if all is well, hit up the labels for permission to remix. Don't take chances, as you could land if deep shit if you do. Best case, as has already been said, they as you to pull it back from the public..which is basically a complete waste of your time in the long run.

Hope it works out for you.

------------------
A.M is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC_Mystik_ is a savage MC
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.M View Post
Regardless of what's said here..if you want to keep things strictly legal, then you need to get permission from those who own the rights..that means going off and doing some homework..you'll need to be sure you are dealing with the right people (I'm guessing the label that released it in the first place).

If you're not sure your version is legal to start with, then that's the first thing you'll need to find out before you hit up anyone else about releasing it. If you don't and it turns out to be illegal, then it's going to make you look like a complete twat..and that's one thing you don't need when trying to do business with somebody..seriously.

Once you know where you stand regarding the legality of your mix, then try hitting the labels up for permission to remix it.

Long story short: Find out where you currently stand regarding the vocals..and then, if all is well, hit up the labels for permission to remix. Don't take chances, as you could land if deep shit if you do. Best case, as has already been said, they as you to pull it back from the public..which is basically a complete waste of your time in the long run.

Hope it works out for you.
Thank you,

I think I am going to try and find out where and how the studio acapella came into existence, because there has to have been someone involved in the process of creating the song that made it publicly available. The problem im running into is I cant seem to find anywhere official that has made it available. I am fairly positive the acapella is the official one from the production, unless someone is a total wizard at seperating vocals from a song. I dont know though I could be wrong, it could just be a really well pulled off rip, but from other ripped acapellas ive heard, this sounds way too clear and sterile to be a rip. My fear is that it was never intended to reach the public, and that it was originally obtained illegally.

this is where i originally heard the acapella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8t8hEpqGxY

and no, i didnt use youtube to mp3 for the remix, i did find a place to download the wav file

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 09-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #7
joem
Savage Mad Cunt
joem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MCjoem is a savage MC
MC Status: 17160

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mystik_ View Post
Thank you,

I think I am going to try and find out where and how the studio acapella came into existence, because there has to have been someone involved in the process of creating the song that made it publicly available. The problem im running into is I cant seem to find anywhere official that has made it available. I am fairly positive the acapella is the official one from the production, unless someone is a total wizard at seperating vocals from a song. I dont know though I could be wrong, it could just be a really well pulled off rip, but from other ripped acapellas ive heard, this sounds way too clear and sterile to be a rip. My fear is that it was never intended to reach the public, and that it was originally obtained illegally.

this is where i originally heard the acapella. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8t8hEpqGxY

and no, i didnt use youtube to mp3 for the remix, i did find a place to download the wav file
wasnt that hard to find reddit has it dry and the full stems, big producers release remixes all the time with out them letting the labels know look at the million trap remixes that are around.
joem is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:04 PM   #8
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279434
Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,711 Posts

just stop being a fanny and put it on soundcloud jesus christ

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to FunkMasterBrown
relic (09-27-2016)
Old 09-27-2016, 03:14 PM   #9
A.M
A.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MCA.M is a savage MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown View Post
just stop being a fanny and put it on soundcloud jesus christ
"How to Legally Create a Remix?" does not = slapping shit up on SC..OP is asking a legitimate question.

------------------
Old 09-27-2016, 03:16 PM   #10
FunkMasterBrown
Bastard!!!IDMf Artist
FunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MCFunkMasterBrown is a savage MC
King's Head function room
MC Status: 222279434
Thanked 2,565 Times in 1,711 Posts

ok, well the answer in this case is that you don't because its a massive pop star

fast forward to stick it on SC and stop being a fanny *thumbs up*

------------------
FunkMasterBrown is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 03:20 PM   #11
A.M

------------------
Old 09-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #12
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outre Lights View Post
Post it up holmes. I'll remix your remix.

An illegal remix X an illegal remix = a legal remix.
i mean, two negatives does equal a positive, so i dont see any holes in your logic xD

------------------
SyMTiK

Thanks to _Mystik_
Outre Lights (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #13
professurreal
IDMf Artist
professurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MCprofessurreal is a savage MC
at the end of the tunnel
MC Status: 58460
Thanked 1,169 Times in 782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joem View Post
you can release remixes for free, plus its not a leak she like calvin harris dosent mind people getting her acapellas she incorages it. (she releases them herself)
Off course you can but that does not make it legal. As others have said, it's only legal if you have permission from the entity that holds the copyright.

In some cases that isn't even the artist themselves but rather the label that released it.

A musician friend of mine once asked a film composer if he could have the scores of some of his music and he politely replied that he wasn't allowed to hand them out because they are actually owned by the film studio and not himself...

------------------
professurreal is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to professurreal
Numerical (09-28-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 08:21 PM   #14
Numerical
IDMf Artist
Numerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MCNumerical is a savage MC
Austin
MC Status: 45939281
Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,547 Posts

Ariana Grande released her album on Republic Records which is owned by Universal Music Group.

http://www.universalmusic.com/contact-us/

There is a phone number there for their copyright and licensing division.
310-865-0770

Be prepared to hear the word no and if you are lucky, be prepared to pay, probably in the thousands.

------------------
Numerical is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to Numerical
A.M (09-29-2016)
Old 09-28-2016, 10:51 PM   #15
_Mystik_
Your Secret Admirer
Rhode Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numerical View Post
Ariana Grande released her album on Republic Records which is owned by Universal Music Group.

http://www.universalmusic.com/contact-us/

There is a phone number there for their copyright and licensing division.
310-865-0770

Be prepared to hear the word no and if you are lucky, be prepared to pay, probably in the thousands.
eh its worth a shot I guess, pretty much guarantee it will be a no, but you never know until you try

------------------
SyMTiK

Old 09-29-2016, 12:11 AM   #16
A.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Mystik_ View Post
eh its worth a shot I guess, pretty much guarantee it will be a no, but you never know until you try
Go for it..you never know your luck..they might say yes.

Advertisements

------------------